The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2022, 05:58 AM

Default Bluechip picks | Not that great

After much researching the BlueChip picks I received my order last week.

I have a TD35 and a TD45, with a few strums on my Favorite Telecaster and also my Martin SC-13 acoustic/electric.

I have to say I was disappointed, compared to my other picks varying in thickness, 73mm and 1. mm, the sound is bright with a chime.

The new picks are noticeably muddy (thick) sounding? I don't like them.

I need to declare I am coming up on 68y and I wear hearing aids. I was told my hearing levels are down, not too much frequency loss.

What is the correct sound, answer, there is no one correct sound.

The sound that I get with all my standard picks of various thicknesses, is a bright clear sound.

Not brash

The Bluechip picks are dark and lack chime.

I wanted to like them, but for me not that great.

Most people love their BC pics, I must be among the minority.

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

You nailed it in pointing out they are not as brash/bright/clicky as other picks. They are warmer and “darker” as you say, with less pick noise—even more so with the thicker options. It’s all a matter of what you like and your right hand technique. Personally, I like the blue chips even thicker, in the 60 - 80 range. So we just have different ears and different right hands.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:12 AM

I'm in the same minority. I've tried four different bluechip picks in different thicknesses and shapes on my multiple acoustic guitars and mandolins over the past 10 years. They consistently sound muted and muddy to me. They're not for everyone.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:17 AM

Most people don't enjoy pick click, but some do. You've hit on the great truth: there is more than one selection available for a reason. Use what you like. And if you like the cheap stuff (picks, wine, cars, etc.) consider yourself twice blessed.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-17-2022, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

In my opinion you can't play a BC or similar pick using the exact same technique like you would using a 'standard' pick. It took me nearly a year of trying a BC off and on before I figured that out. Keep experimenting with your technique and attack. The payback is tone, muddiness is not inevitable. Good luck.

Collings, Froggy Bottom, Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz, Taylor and the requisite Martin and Gibson
Old 01-17-2022, 06:24 AM

I think the key to your experience was the mentions of "a few strums" and that you usually play other picks from .73 to 1.0mm.

Those Blue Chip picks are far stiffer than the picks you normally use and they are beveled. Over the years I've read many comments from people who use thin, flexible picks and want them to flex as they strum across the strings. That makes a bright sound, as you mention. You will experience almost no "give" in the Blue Chip picks and therefore you will notice a darker tone. Also, if you strike the strings at a flat angle the click will be even more than usual (and Blue Chips do tend to have a bit of a click for me, as well).

The people who seem to like Blue Chip picks are those who drive the pick down and through the strings, often at an angle rather than flat. They want the bevel to let them force the string to give without the pick flexing much.

For people playing like yourself, I've noticed it fairly unlikely they will get good results from a Blue Chip pick. Fortunately they have a money back guarantee!
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 01-17-2022, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

You're not alone, tried a few on guitar and mandolins; don't like them. Gimme a medium clown barf pick and I'm a happy camper.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:01 AM

I have 3 BlueChip pikcks but prefer Dunlop Primetone smooth. I like picks ranging from 1 to 1.5 mm. Also Dunlop Ultex 1.14 please my ears more than BCs.
The BCs are dark sounding picks. Maybe I should try a thinner one.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 01-17-2022, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

I think that your assessment of what you are hearing is very similar to mine.

The Blue Chip picks are made from Vespel SP1, a high tech engineering plastic made by DuPont. The material itself is VERY expensive, so Blue Chip can afford to put time and effort into making nicely shaped, well finished picks (man hours being a lesser % of the overall price) – it is a premium product. The advantages that Vespel has over other pick materials is that it is easy to hold and easy to play (self-lubricating glide across the strings) it is also very long lasting. Personally, I think that the PLAYABILITY of BC picks are their primary advantage and a significant reason for their popularity.

All pick materials sound slightly different, and Vespel is no exception. I have had 4 BC picks and have also made my own from Vespel SP1. Personally, I find Vespel to give a very “flat” e/q across the strings, making strumming a little “shouty” and somewhat taking out the mid scoop and top end sparkle we have been used to hearing for so many years from acoustic guitars. I do find that I have to amend my playing style when using a Vespel pick or my playing gets a little messy and indistinct.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:02 AM

I think you may be misunderstanding why most people here like them. Most acoustic players gravitate over time toward thicker picks to get a rounder, less bright but FULL sound. At least for flatpicking. If you are a 100% strummer then in my opinion you don't need an expensive pick. And strumming your Tele, again you can use almost anything, in my opinion. I tend to more pick my electrics rather than strum them. I guess it's a matter of degree.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesaHut View Post
After much researching the BlueChip picks I received my order last week.

I have a TD35 and a TD45, with a few strums on my Favorite Telecaster and also my Martin SC-13 acoustic/electric.

I have to say I was disappointed, compared to my other picks varying in thickness, 73mm and 1. mm, the sound is bright with a chime.

The new picks are noticeably muddy (thick) sounding? I don't like them.

I need to declare I am coming up on 68y and I wear hearing aids. I was told my hearing levels are down, not too much frequency loss.

What is the correct sound, answer, there is no one correct sound.

The sound that I get with all my standard picks of various thicknesses, is a bright clear sound.

Not brash

The Bluechip picks are dark and lack chime.

I wanted to like them, but for me not that great.

Most people love their BC pics, I must be among the minority.
Hi, try as I might, (and I do) I cannot find anther pick that comes near my Blue Chip TAD40 and TAD 50 which is why I have one for each or my many acoustic guitars, excepting archtops and 12 strings (I prefer Wegen TF triangles for them).

to be fair as both of yuor guitars are electrics, I'm not sure that you would necessarily benefit from the subtleties of BC picks.
As you say your hearing is less than perfect (who amongst us oldies have perfect hearing?) maybe what you are missing is the "click" of the attack.

However, if they don't suit I believe you still have the option of returning them for refund.

Watch this, and see if you discern a difference.Note: few listeners will hear much difference but it is for te player to determine if they give the right feel, and speed, rather than accent on bass, middle, or treble, and attack.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:22 AM

Seeing how blue chip picks are stiff, why not take a quarter grind it into a pick shape, bevel the edge and you have a stiff pick that only costs a 25 cents
Old 01-17-2022, 07:24 AM

In my acoustics I normally use two Blue Chip TAD40 picks and a Sekova Vintage Celluloid 0.88mm. Obviously the celluloid gives me a brighter sound and the Blue Chip is a bit darker, but this one glides across the strings like no other.
I also like the Dunlop Primetone a lot, but the triangular ones are too thick for me.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 01-17-2022, 07:26 AM

If anybody has any Blue Chip picks they don't like and want to get rid of i will buy them! [emoji16]

I've never tried them before and have been researching as well but am hesitant to pull the trigger.

As for the people who don't like them, what are your preferred picks and thickness?
Old 01-17-2022, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

…if I was going to describe the BC tone I would call it neutral…at least that’s where it stands in my vast pick collection….I have picks of various materials that sound brighter and thinner….and picks of various materials that sound darker and fatter….

….what a neutral pick does for me is not contribute too much of anything to the sound of my guitar…..in essence it lets the strings do the work…..what a BC does do…for me…..and it does it very well….is push through the strings with ease offering minimal resistance….that in turn makes my playing a bit cleaner and a bit more dynamic….and of course I appreciate the high level of quality evident in the machining and finish…

….I only wish they came in a more attractive color…..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion