The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-10-2024, 01:07 AM

Question for the Lowden Jazz Series owners.......how do you thread the (nylon) strings on that 12 hole bridge? Why is it like that?

BluesKing777.
Old 03-14-2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
how do you thread the (nylon) strings on that 12 hole bridge? Why is it like that?
BluesKing777.
Not a Lowden owner, but a classical guitar owner with a twelve-hole tie block. There are many videos out there that will show you how to tie your strings to one of these. This is a nice, succinct guide as well. The thing I particularly like about the 12-hole tie block is that they lock a bit more securely, so I get less possibility of slippage at the bridge when I tune up.
Old 03-14-2024, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Anyone have experience with an O32 sitka/rosewood?
Old 03-18-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Question for the Lowden Jazz Series owners.......how do you thread the (nylon) strings on that 12 hole bridge? Why is it like that?

BluesKing777.
I'm the happy owner of a S32J and it's a joy to play

The 12 hole bridge ensures a better break angle to the strings, hence more volume and definition.
Besides, the strings are less prone to slip and if they do, they don't hurt the sound board.
Should I add it's more elegant this way?
Of course all this very subjective and most classical builders keep on using a 6 hole bridge
Anyway you may use only 6 holes if you prefer (and tell us if you hear the difference)...

Well it's in French but the video could help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcGAs8aFluE
2015 S32J (Indian Rosewood/Alpine Spruce)
2020 Jérôme Lair French Romantic guitar (Yew/Spruce)
Old 03-18-2024, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreM View Post
I'm the happy owner of a S32J and it's a joy to play

The 12 hole bridge ensures a better break angle to the strings, hence more volume and definition.
Besides, the strings are less prone to slip and if they do, they don't hurt the sound board.
Should I add it's more elegant this way?
Of course all this very subjective and most classical builders keep on using a 6 hole bridge
Anyway you may use only 6 holes if you prefer (and tell us if you hear the difference)...

Well it's in French but the video could help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcGAs8aFluE

Thanks Pierre....

Not for the 'kacky handed' then!

I tried a set of the Martin nylons with ball ends! How easy is that?

Except they lost their looks very quickly, went dark, didn't last long. I would use them if gigging, very quick to change.

As far as I know there has never been a Lowden nylon Jazz in my area...so I have not played one, but my Lowdens of various eras are so well built that if A. I win Lotto, or B. Find the cash....there would be no hesitation is ordering one online. Just that the Lotto win model would be far different than the 'me coming up with the cash' model....S50J Custom versus S25J........

BluesKing777.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:53 AM

Fiddling with the 12 holes bridge becomes easier each time you change the strings and, if you definitely prefer a J lowden with a 6 holes bridge, more wallet friendly, be aware you could find a great deal with a pre-2004 S25J or S32J.

During the Irish license, the S25J and eventually the 32 came with 6 holes bridges (and an Abalone rosette too if you like shell )
Old 03-22-2024, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
Anyone have experience with an O32 sitka/rosewood?
Quite a classic at Lowden's.

The first O model (named "L" at that time) was a Sitka/Rosewood guitar in 1976 (label reads #1 of the new series)!

You won't be disappointed.

I have been playing a S.Yairi built Sitka/ Rosewood L34 (would sit today somewhere between a O32 and a 50 with Inlay package 2) for 40 years now.
The guitar is still sounding great, easy to play, brilliant in DADGAD and Drop D.
Only needed a luthier once in its life to fix a buzz on the 6th string.
I also own a 2015 nylon string S32J in the same wood combo and the guitar's still improving each day
EIR/SS is a staple at many other makes by the way...
Old 03-26-2024, 09:37 AM

Hi All,
Bought myself a used S25J a month or so back, Love it. It's my Dreadnought Classical.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

I bought a new WL25 for a very good price just a few weeks ago. Despite its diminutive size it’s springy well balanced. Flawless build quality, as ever with a Lowden.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion