The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-25-2004, 07:36 PM

Default 80/20 vs phosphor bronze

What are the real tonal differences between the two? Which one is brighter? Which one sustains longer?

Some insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:56 AM

This is certainly a "Your mileage may vary" answer...

80/20's are a bit brighter
Phosphor is a bit warmer

Other factors:
Longevity of the strings
Sticky-ness of the strings
Your prefrences

The best things in life, are not Things...
Old 10-28-2004, 07:06 AM

Jim's right. I'm evaluating strings on a new 354CE and PB were too warm and "dull sounding". The first sets of 80/20s were significantly brighter and crisper.

Your mileage may vary. Wood is organic (duh!) and strings you wouldn't usually consider may surprise you.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:13 AM

This is one of those things that seems to vary from person to person, with some people saying 80/20 is brighter, and others saying PB is brighter.

I'm in the former camp, adding that phosphor bronze sounds more complex and three-dimensional than 80/20. The difference was really driven home when I put a set of Elixirs (which are 80/20) on my 000-15 because I was out of PBs. With the Elixirs, it sounded brighter and kind of harsh compared to where it had been. When I switched it back to phosphor bronze, it was warm and woody once again.

In the "old days" when Elixir wasn't around, Taylor's "factory string" was D'Addario phosphor bronze, and while I understand their reasons for switching to Elixirs, I think they'd do well to reconsider, because all three of my Taylors sound better with phosphor bronze strings.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:55 PM

80/20's are crunchier and PB have a smoother taste.

I think some of it also depends on the guitar. I have a Yamaha that sounds better with 80/20's. My Taylor, to me, has a much richer and more complex tone with the phosphor bronze strings. (John Pearse) The Elixirs sounded anemic by comparison.

Fortunately buying a bunch of different strings is a pretty cheap way to see how they sound on your particular guitar.

http://www.marklyn.info/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification