The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-22-2004, 07:43 PM

Default Worth putting a K+K into this guitar?

At this moment, I've been playing for almost a year. (yay! ) I have an Art+Lutherie cherry regular model thing that's worked very well for its cost and my purposes, and rivals to my ear most of the lower end taylors and martins for the balanced sound I like. What I'm considering is putting a K+K Pure Western or the like into it, for a few reasons- I want another acoustic sometime, but I have no chance of getting the 750-800+ I'd want for a Larrivee in the current time period (I'm 15 :P), and I'd love to mess around with my looping pedal on an acoustic and a bass. Any opinions on whether I should go for it, whether its worth spending that on a "beginner's" guitar?
Old 10-23-2004, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaykak
At this moment, I've been playing for almost a year. (yay! ) I have an Art+Lutherie cherry regular model thing that's worked very well for its cost and my purposes, and rivals to my ear most of the lower end taylors and martins for the balanced sound I like. What I'm considering is putting a K+K Pure Western or the like into it, for a few reasons- I want another acoustic sometime, but I have no chance of getting the 750-800+ I'd want for a Larrivee in the current time period (I'm 15 :P), and I'd love to mess around with my looping pedal on an acoustic and a bass. Any opinions on whether I should go for it, whether its worth spending that on a "beginner's" guitar?
If it were me, I'd check out your local Godin/Lasido dealers that might carry that A&L and see if you can't find a used Seagull or Simon & Patrick with an integrated pickup in it. After trade-in and some haggling, you might only be out just a wee bit more that messin' with a pickup on that A&L....and you'd have a solid-top guitar. I'm assuming your A&L is a laminate-top model. If it is a solid-top, I would feel more comfortable outing the funds for a pickup. Whether it's a "beginner" or not is really only a function of price. It's whether it has good materials -- for the long haul -- that would tell me whether to put more into it. If it's a solid-top, you'll probably want to keep it around for a long time....even if it was your first guitar.
2002 Taylor BabyM
Old wood tambourine & wire brushes
Old 10-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Give Me Liberty

I wouldnt put a K&K pickup in that guitar unless you're planing on keeping it. the best method for installing a K&K is to crazy glue it to the bridge plate. If you do this you can NOT remove the pickup without damaging it. Yes... you can use the foil but there still exists some risk when removing the pickup.

Since money is tight I'd probably look into something that I could remove and put in the upgraded guitar that you'll eventually buy.

Baggs I beam is a good soundboard transducer type pickup and you can reinstall it. Undersaddle pickups are also easy to remove.

I actually like the sound of the K&K better than any UST or the I beam that I own. the K&K sounds more natural to me. But I wouldnt put it in something that I wasnt planing on keeping
Old 10-23-2004, 10:45 AM

I would answer yes to your question. The price point on a K and K is about 85.00 dollars as opposed to 45 or so for a cheap soundhole pickup. To me, you cannot compare the quality between the two with any price difference. If you use the "tape method" on the installation you can remove it at any time to sell or install on another guitar. I believe your guitar is just fine for a K and K. In fact, it most likely deserves it!

Good luck!

Chip Evans
Old 10-23-2004, 12:35 PM

I am considering a K& K for my Seagull S6+. It is probably a very similar guitar to your A & L. My S6+ has been set up just right for me, and I love this particular guitar. It also has opened up with lots of playing. I have tried out new Seagulls with a pickup, but they cannot match the feel of my existing guitar. Therefore, for me it seems worth it. If your A&L is not special to you , then consider trading it for something similar with a pickup.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:34 PM

It's definitely important to me, plan on keeping it for quite a while. I took a look through all the K+K material, and it seems with the impermenant installation I could spend it now, and still use it for a better quality guitar when I have it. I really wasn't even considering getting a new acoustic anything below a D-03 Larrivee, nothing really stood up to that guitar. Very, very nice. Thing then would be that a Larrivee would need a mini K+K, which should be alright (though perhaps not as good) for my A+L. Thanks for all the advice
Old 10-26-2004, 02:23 AM

I had a Seagull factory second with Cherry laminate back and sides that sounded just as good as the high end guitars (I have a D28 and Taylor 710CE). I would still have that guitar but a close friend needed a guitar and couldn't afford one. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to put a Pure Western in that guitar especially if you really like the sound of that guitar. Another option would be the LR Baggs M1 soundhole pickup, you'd probably be surprised how good they can sound if you used a Boss GE7 to scoop out the mid range around 800hz.

2004 Taylor 710CE w/ES
1972 Martin D28 w/Pure Western
199? Larrivvee D02 /K&K Trinity
199? Seagull Grand
------------------
LR Baggs Para DI
Fishman Aura
Presonus Acousti-Q
Ultrasound AG50DS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification