The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-22-2004, 11:52 AM

Default What would you like in a acoustic amp

Was talking to a friend the other day and we were trying to figure out what we would put into an acoustic amp to make it sell. So here's a good subjust to throw around. Think about it, whould you use 10 or 12 in speakers. Digital reverb or spring, eq or not, If eq what type or hoe may bands. Let throw this around and see if we can build a "perfect acoustic amp". I have my thoughts but give me your input!!
Into a dancer you have grown, from a seed somebody else has thrown, go on ahead and throw some seeds of your own, and somewhere between the time you arrive, and the time you go, may lie the reason you were alive, but you'll never know.

1976 Ebony Gibson Dove
2003 Schneider DS-1 Small Jumbo Brazilian / Adirondack

Ultra Sound Pro 250
Old 10-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Could be a big topic. Then again, most every feature is available in one product or another. Here are three areas that could use improvement:

First, acoustic amps come with preset input impedances. It's often hit or miss wheter a particular pickup will work well with a particual input or a particular amp. Adding a variable impedence switch (low, med, high) would help alot. In recent years, many studio preamps have added this feature to accomodate different mics, as well as DI type sources. They sell well and get kudos from users.

Second, parametric eq. There aren't many amps that offer this. It is so much better than graphic eq, even though there's quite a learning curve with using it. Still, given all the different pickups, guitars, styles and personal preferences of players, a parametric eq would serve users much better, given all the flexibility parametric eq offers.

Third, component quality. I realize this topic is tense because it pits cost against quality. Nonetheless, many amps contain cheesy components, whether it be the preamp circuitry, power amp circuitry, speakers, effects, what have you. There are exceptions. A real great acoutic guitar amp with effects will cost alot, and there's no way around it. I'm still amazed at how many acoustic guitar players will spend many thousands of dollars on a guitar (often on each of many guitars), and then get chinsey really quick when it comes to ampliification or recording gear. For example, "I have a $5,000 Goodall, I want to amplify it, but I don't want to spend more than $100 for a mic and $200 for an amp - what's the best"

There's another factor as well. Even though most here own or have heard great acoustic guitars, most of us probably do not own or use or have not heard high end sound reinforcement or studio gear. As consumers, we are rather accustomed to hearing stereos, PAs, TVs, car stereos, etc., that are cheap. So the cheesy acoustic amps sound just fine in comparison to what we are used to hearing.

On the other hand, those that hear high quality gear, can (usually) very quickly identify the different quality. For example, compare a inexpensive acoustic amp to an AER of equivalent power. Or compare a inexpensive PA-type system (tweaked for use with an acoustic guitar) with a Daedalus-based PA configuration. It's like comparing a Taylor 114 to a $5,000 Goodall or Collings.

So I guess my last point is improved component quality would help alot.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:35 AM

Spring Rerverb
One Main, one switchable tweeter
Feedback supression
Effects loop
Tube Direct Box output
2 Channel able to handle electric and acoustic
Low - Z input to take full advantage of the expression system (when it works )

Something like this
http://www.rivera.com/prod_sedona.htm
Old 10-24-2004, 08:07 AM

Just what I've got.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:10 AM

As above, plus feedback controls - 2x notch and a phase switch.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:17 AM
I know that one

3 independent channels - each with parametric EQ and each with 1/4" or XLR input

Effects loop

Direct Line output

Quality Speakers - 10/12" woofer, 6/8" tweeter, horn
Old 10-25-2004, 12:53 PM

A bag of money.

--jam

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification