The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2018, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

Default Zymol, anyone?

I use Zymol wax on my car. It’s really good stuff. I just noticed that they make guitar polish. Has anyone here used Zymol on your guitars?

Here is their website: http://www.zymol.com/music-2.aspx
Old 04-15-2018, 05:40 AM

No, but I remember watching Zymol, the Deadly Terror From Venus at the drive-in back in 1956 ....
Old 04-15-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerwalker View Post
I use Zymol wax on my car. It’s really good stuff. I just noticed that they make guitar polish. Has anyone here used Zymol on your guitars?

Here is their website: http://www.zymol.com/music-2.aspx
I detail cars for a hobby. I've been doing it for 50+ years. IMHO Zymol makes some of the best wax that you can put on a car . . . or a guitar.

Using car waxes and polishes on a guitar is nothing new. Years ago I visited the old Martin plant. You could see Meguiar's products sitting on every work station. (The new plant has unmarked bottles of wax and polish sitting on work stations. I have no idea what the brand they use now.)
Old 04-15-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
Using car waxes and polishes on a guitar is nothing new. Years ago I visited the old Martin plant. You could see Meguiar's products sitting on every work station.
That must be why it's an old plant. Count me as skeptical they use wax on their guitars.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:58 AM

Zymol is the wax of choice on the Rickenbacker forum. We like our Rics to be very shiny. (Thank you Paul W. our mentor)
Old 04-15-2018, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Yes, been using Zymol (cleaner/wax) for years on nitro cellulose guitar finishes.

In my opinion there's nothing better.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:48 AM

I dunno... I've never used anything on my guitars nor felt the need to, even on my acoustics that are 40+ years old.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 04-15-2018, 12:45 PM

The finish protects the wood but you still need something to protect the finish, just like a car. Luckily our guitars are not exposed to the elements but they still get an accumulation of dust and dirt. If you don't use some kind of protectant on the finish you will eventually end up with small swirls just like on a car. If you wipe a guitar with only water directly on the finish you'll put small scratches on it as you will just be grinding the dirt in. You need something to lift the dirt particles before you start pushing them around with a damp or wet rag. Also, I never clean or polish in a circular motion. I always go long ways with the grain. That way if any micro scratches were to happen they would be much less noticeable with rather than against the grain.

I've used McGuires for years but I have just started using a cleaner/wax combination that is made by Chemical Guys. Fantastic product. I use it 3 seasons on my black car and NO swirls.

I have used Zymol in the past on cars and it is indeed a great product.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

I use their leather conditioner on my car seats, good stuff.

Will look into their guitar polish. I like to rotate different (high quality) polishes on my guitars, especially if it is one that I am rescuing.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
I use their leather conditioner on my car seats, good stuff.

Will look into their guitar polish. I like to rotate different (high quality) polishes on my guitars, especially if it is one that I am rescuing.
Polish is rarely necessary. A good clean cotton cloth and some distilled water does the trick 99% of the time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion