The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2007, 10:53 PM

Arrow USPS to Canada...

Hey folks. I sold a guitar a little while ago to someone in Canada (I'm in Indiana USA). I decided to go with USPS Air Parcel Post. I've had favourable dealings with them thus far. Besides, I've heard one too many horror stories about shipping with Fedex, and the general consensus seems to be that shipping to Canada especially, with either Fedex or UPS can run shipping costs in the exorbitant range pretty easily. Anyway...I came across a few surprises with this USPS shipment to Canada. Firstly...myself and the buyer are completely unable to track the guitar, even though the package was sold to me with a tracking option. Turns out the USPS guy was misinformed, and my "tracking number" is really only a confirmation of insurance. Secondly, on that note, I was only able to insure the guitar for a maximum of $675, under half it's value, which was another surprising twist. I'd never heard of that kind of insurance limit before. The guitar was shipped on Wednesday, 10th January. As yet, there is still no sign of it with the buyer.

Has anyone else here shipped an acoustic to Canada with USPS...particularly Air Parcel Post? If so, what kind of time-frame should be reasonably expected. I was told it could be anything between 4-10 days. Whether or not those are business days I'm unsure of. Have your experiences been positive? Needless to say, I and the buyer especially are getting concerned here. I'm growing a little hesitant about future shipping adventures to Canada if this time round is any indication to go by.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:07 PM

Hi. You should have a tracking number somewhere on one of the copies. It's not like ups tracking. It'll just tell you that it's in process of being delivered. I have shipped all over the place, and I have been there. Waiting and waiting. I don't know if it's customs or what, but sometimes things get held up with usps. I was assured 4-10 days to europe on a few occasions, and sometimes that was true, other times it turned out to be 20 days. I wouldn't get too worried just yet. You can call and usps and get a case number and they will search for it, but it usually ends up getting there before they get back to you. It'll probably show up this week. Don't forget, there was a holiday this week too.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the response. It's simultaneously discouraging and hopeful, with regards to how long this can actually take, and the fact that my situation may not be that unusual after all. The fact that we are in such a cold part of the year just makes me that much more concerned about the guitar's safety. I packaged her very securely though. God willing, this situation will go off without further drama above and beyond the waiting period.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:15 AM

Default You might be able to get some tracking...

My wife does eBay stuff, and we're shipping to Canada all the time. Check on the top of your CP72 Customs form for the big long string that starts with two letters (maybe "CP"), then has 9 numbers, and then ends in "US". If you put that in at usps.com, you will probably get at least some sort of tracking.

4-10 is definitely business days, and you had a holiday in there last week. It's probably still sitting at Customs...

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:21 AM

If it's any consolation when I ordered a guitar from Canada that had to clear customs it sat at customs for 10 days straight, so the entire shipping time was over 2 weeks. That was shipped via FedEx, but still, it appears customs really puts the brakes on delivery times. My company has distributors on Canada and we sell a fair amount of retail there. We have tried USPS a few times, but have never been thrilled with the results for the same reasons you found; lack of "real" insurance and complete and detailed tracking information.

Cheers,
S6ix
Old 01-22-2007, 08:20 AM

Default Customs!

Customs has really tightened up lately, and I've noticed that packages coming to me from the 'States (I'm in Canada) now take about twice as long as they used to, especially with a high value attached to them. However, so far, they've never lost snything on me, I wouldn't worry too much.

Limbo is hard, though, I completely sympathize with that.

By the way, the bulk of the shipping costs with UPS are hidden when you send the package, because they don't include Brokerage fees in their charges when you send. As a result, the package can arrive with $65 in fees plus any outstanding taxes. I've found Fedex to be much more reliable price-wise, as they charge you through the nose up front, but there are no back-end surprises. My experience has been that Fedex ends up being about the same price as UPS (including the hidden charges) but without the surprises.

Good luck!

Joe
Old 01-22-2007, 10:41 AM

Yup, your item is stuck in customs. When ever I get items from the states it always takes longer than what the actual delivery time. It sits in customs so they can appliy their customs handling charge and GST. I have had a few smaller items squeek through, tubes and acoustic stuff. But that has been far and few between.

Gear:

2002 Historic R8
1989 PRS
2004 65 Fender Relic
2006 Taylor GSRS

Tweed Deluxe Clone
1969 Deluxe Reverb
Prosonic
Bassman with hoffman kit
Old 01-22-2007, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the additional thoughts and comments guys. I guess there's nothing to do but just wait.

Quote:
Check on the top of your CP72 Customs form for the big long string that starts with two letters (maybe "CP"), then has 9 numbers, and then ends in "US". If you put that in at usps.com, you will probably get at least some sort of tracking.
I did find and check on that CP number, but it doesn't tell me anything beyond the initial scanning and receipt of the guitar. My and the buyers advanced class in hope and patience continues...
Old 01-22-2007, 12:53 PM

Also try putting the number into www.canadapost.ca

It will eventually show up in it as well.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:53 PM

I shipped one via usps from ohio to british colombia cost was around 70 bucks with insurance for 300.00. It took a couple of weeks ups wanted 800.00 and fedex wanted around 600.00. They can go jump in the lake with some cement shoes. tracking number is on insurance receipt on the side. ends in us its also on your recipt its caled label number on mine. I didnot ship it air. just regular parcel post.
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 01-22-2007, 02:01 PM

No matter which shipping service you use - USPS, FedEx, etc. etc. - be careful never to try to ship a guitar made with Brazilian rosewood or with an ivory saddle and nut unless you include the necessary export and import certificates from both government's CITES authorities. You must get these in advance and include copies with the guitar to prove they have been granted. For the US end that means getting the export permit from the Department of the Interior. For Canada the corresponding import permit would need to be obtained from Environment Canada. If you do ship without both permits all properly approved and stamped and they catch your guitar in customs they will confiscate it and you will have no recourse to get it back or even collect on the insurance since you would have been found to have been engaged in an illegal smuggling activity. They may even give you an additional present of a fine.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 02-03-2007, 07:36 AM

Let the record reflect...the guitar arrived in Canada in perfect condition. Buyer and seller satisfied. Thank God for small mercies.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:12 PM

It is a bit of a 'wait patiently' game when going with USPS. They send it to the border and the border attaches their document and then it gets handed over to Canada Post and goes on to its destination.
-Mail volumes can cause delays.
-Incorrect addresses can cause major delays.
-The good thing is that, for the most part, guitars are large and a little awkward to carry so they are usually handled with extra care (so put them in a box as well as the case) and because of the size they aren't likely to be stolen by any unethical employee.

I have had a couple of excruciating waits for guitars but mostly not too bad. The ones that were handled by USPS and Canada Post never had ANY damage (even to the boxes that the guitars/cases were in). The worst case of 'bang-up' was by UPS. I thought for sure that guitar would be in pieces but it ended up ok...that box was beat.
I agree that the lack of tracking is a poor aspect of USPS.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=441241
Old 02-03-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_1974 View Post
Let the record reflect...the guitar arrived in Canada in perfect condition. Buyer and seller satisfied. Thank God for small mercies.
Thanks for letting those of us following your saga that you finally received your baby. Have fun!

Cheers,
S6ix

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion