The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-23-2016, 03:56 PM

Default Stealth Banjos

I have been offered a Stealth banjo in trade for a mandolin but I am not a banjo player. If I did the trade it I would most likely turn around and sell the banjo. Does anyone know anything about them? They got good reviews and look to be made well but there is not a ton of information on the internets about them. I have not been able to find any previous sales to get a price. Perhaps they are too niche and there is a very tiny market for them?
Old 05-23-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
I have been offered a Stealth banjo in trade for a mandolin but I am not a banjo player. If I did the trade it I would most likely turn around and sell the banjo. Does anyone know anything about them? They got good reviews and look to be made well but there is not a ton of information on the internets about them. I have not been able to find any previous sales to get a price. Perhaps they are too niche and there is a very tiny market for them?
A smaller niche producer, but very well respected and produce a top of the line banjo. Ask your question over on Banjo Hangout and you'll get quick and concise answers. Here's the correct sub-forum to ask your question, but you will need to sign up. (It's free)

http://www.banjohangout.org/gotoforum/14
Old 05-24-2016, 04:45 AM

Excellent, thanks! I did pop over there yesterday and promptly posted it in the wrong forum I guess. They are very nice and helpful over there.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:39 PM

Those are interesting banjos. Thanks for posting about them.

The Stealth banjo's use of what's commonly called a "tunnel" fifth string, where the fifth string goes through the neck to the headstock instead of having its tuning peg on the side of the neck, is not an original design. It's actually a 19th Century approach. It's never been particularly common on American-made banjos, but the vast majority of British-made five string banjos made in the 19th and 20th Centuries have tunnel fifth strings.

Anyway, that looks intriguing.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-24-2016, 04:59 PM

A friend of ours plays one and we really like it. In addition to the cool "5th string tunnel" thing, they have a unique tone. It's not a traditional sound. Here's an example of our friend playing his in a jam. I like the sound but some traditionalists don't. So just keep in mind you'll be marketing to a specific type of player.

"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 05-24-2016, 06:23 PM

It seems like they pop up seldom and don't take too long to sell when they do. I did the trade so I will be listing it up at a few places soon. Has a nice Calton case with it as well. That's an expensive case. Yikes.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:08 PM

Stealths are very nice banjos if you're not a traditionalist. They're designed and built by Scott Vestal who plays banjo in Sam Bush's band. I'd love to have one. And a Jeff Weitzel. And a couple of others.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments