The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2008, 10:38 PM

Default LR BAGGS ELEMENT. Opinions?

Hi All. I was thinking about trying a LR Baggs Active Element UST pickup/preamp in one of my overly-bassy dreads. There are 2 models (one with a single volume control and the other VTC which adds a tone control). Any thoughts? Likes, Dislikes, comparisons vs. other UST's etc...... I've seen some decent reviews mentioning it sounding fairly natural for a UST. Who has tried it or uses it?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha 66strummer!

Aloha Strummer!

I used the Element almost nightly for a couple of years. For an undersaddlle pickup, it's among the best. I think the Highlander, and especially the DTAR Wavelength sound better (I just checked them out again this week).

Of course, it can't hold a candle in terms of more natural acoustic sound to a K&K or PUTW #54 pickup and mic combo, But I can't say I didn't like many things about it.

I'd check out the Wavelength. I tested one last week for many hours and think it's the best of the undersaddle pickups.

Of course, you know that a single pickup alone, even in a boomy dreadnaught, is not going to satisfy you. You need a dual source for the sound and control options you need, right.

You could try the Element with a Sunrise dynamic. or an internal mic, a K&K SBT or even a Scherlter DYN-G which is very mic like.

Good Luck,
alohachris
Old 08-15-2008, 11:20 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong. The basic version of the wavelength doesnt have a volume control (thumbwheel)? You have to buy that separately?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Me

That is correct. But it does have tone controls. I had a guitar that had too much bass and I backed off the bass on the preamp that comes with the wavelength. It worked perfectly.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:01 AM

Bummer that there aren't MP3 samples of this D-tar pickup recorded on that acoustic pickup comparison page.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
Bummer that there aren't MP3 samples of this D-tar pickup recorded on that acoustic pickup comparison page.
Read a review and hear a sample of the DTAR Wavelength here:

http://www.maurysmusic.com/d_tar_wav..._pickup_review
Old 08-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

th element is the only undersaddle i use in my acoustics. I have tried bband, fishman, and highlander, and the element was the most natural sounding of them all.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timvanderlaan View Post
th element is the only undersaddle i use in my acoustics. I have tried bband, fishman, and highlander, and the element was the most natural sounding of them all.
__________________________________________________ _______________

I actually have used the B-band A1.2 UST and thought it was pretty natural sounding. If the Baggs is comparable that's good news. Thanks........ Do you use the tone control version?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:58 AM

A Baggs Imix came with my CA X and this is both the Element and the Ibeam with a preamp and volume and mix comtrols. It really is a very good sound. I however find myself using the Element 100% most of the time which speaks to how good it is. I am getting back a Gibson J-100 today that I am having installed the new Fishman Infinity USP that has volume and tone controls. It will be interesting to compare the the difference. But two very different guitars.
Steve
Old 08-16-2008, 09:08 AM

It would be interesting to compare the Infinity and Element in similar guitars. Hope you like the Infinity in your J-100. Let me know how it is...... That's a nice guitar.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:43 AM

Can't speak on how it compares to the Wavelength since I have never heard one. In my Rainsong I switched out the Fishman Blender that came with it for the ELement onboard and was very pleased. The ELement by itself sounded better and more dynamic than the Fishman / mic combo. I have heard many reviews of people who had the Element and liked it but like the D-tar even more so like a previous poster said, I would seriously consider the wavelength. MOst likely, if I ever decide to put a pickup in my GUild JF55 Rosewood jumbo it would be a Wavelength. Although the volume control that comes with the Element is handy. I think the Wavelength has an optional volume/tone control available.

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 08-16-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
A Baggs Imix came with my CA X and this is both the Element and the Ibeam with a preamp and volume and mix comtrols. It really is a very good sound. I however find myself using the Element 100% most of the time which speaks to how good it is. I am getting back a Gibson J-100 today that I am having installed the new Fishman Infinity USP that has volume and tone controls. It will be interesting to compare the the difference. But two very different guitars.
Steve

Hi Steve,

I'd be interested in what you think of the Infinity vs the Imix. I'd also be interested in hearing that amplified CA X in a live setting. You playing any local venues? I'm in Dover, not far away from Wooster.

Gary
Old 08-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

I've used both in the same guitar. They are both very good for undersaddle pickups, but I think the the D-Tar has a more natural sound. The shop that installed it for me also agreed, and preferred the D-Tar Wavelength, and even has begun looking into becoming a dealer of the D-Tar products based on that pickup I had them put in.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:22 PM

Last year, I replaced the Baggs i-Mix with a D-TAR WaveLength. I wanted to go single source as I was using almost all Element all the time. I use a Yamaha AG Stomp to add a little mic modeling which evens things out nicely (it also has a semi-parametric 4-band EQ, chorus, delay, three reverbs, auto feedback reduction x5, and a limiter which is quite useful for strumming - all settings can be stored in presets). I think it's an underestimated and overlooked preamp option.

I had the volume and blend wheels with the i-Mix, but the WaveLength Load 'n Lock has volume and tone wheels. I LOVE having the tone wheel because it allows me to cut crispiness or add shimmer when necessary.

I think both the Element and the WaveLength sound great. You can't go wrong either way IMHO.

Larrivee LV-09BW
Gibson J-15
Martin Custom D Rosewood
Eastman E10SS
Washburn Solo DeLuxe RSG100
Enya X4 Pro Carbon Fiber
Guild Aristocrat M-75
Reverend Jetstream FM-HB
Ibanez AS103
Ibanez AFJ95
Songbird Warbler Hammered Dulcimer
Old 08-16-2008, 06:59 PM

A BIG Thanks to ALL for the very helpful input............

Ryan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification