The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 11:28 AM

My Alvarez AD610 top cracked at 6 months. My Yamahas and Eastmans kept in the same conditions are fine. Could have been a fluke, could be they are using wood that isn't properly dried. Their warranty specifically does not cover this.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Does guitar center usually give you discounts for cash? Are you talking bills?
Fro what I've read they are less likely to than they were a few years back, but you'll never get a discount if you don't TRY to get one. If they've had the guitar for a while you've got a better shot than one they just took in. Also, they might be quicker to deal on an Alvarez than they would with a gibby, fender martin. Don't try to steal it, but have the cash so you can say for a $350 ticket, "I can give you $300 cash right now". Worse thing is they stick hard to their price, maybe they counter $325.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:03 PM

Default Really impressed with Alvarez's Artist Series . . . .

I actually just picked up (last week) the AG75CE (Cedar top, rosewood back & sides) on a whim after looking at the reviews, specs and finding a $100.00 off GC online coupon code. I'm very impressed with it. It has a wonderful tone, very playable neck and the best factory setup of any guitar I've ever owned. While appearance isn't one of my primary concerns, I think it looks beautiful as well. I'm all about value and the Artist series from Alvarez appears to have that in spades.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 03-19-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Every Alvarez Artist Series guitar I have played has been outstanding. EVERY...SINGLE...ONE!

P.S.: The model you're considering is no longer made. Click here to see the current Artist Series guitars (look for the models beginning AF for the folk sized guitars). The current models come with the Baggs StagePro pickup (which is superior to the B Band pickup IMO), but if you like the specific guitar you've played, get it!
That's a good point about the pickup.
Liking the AG70CEAR right now. None available to try locally though.
I think that beveled armrest is a great idea
Old 03-19-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
My ADA1965 has a similar finish.
I’m betting it’s a GC only and it has an Artist series counterpart that is a different color.
I have a load of Alvarez guitars.
Every one of them is a keeper.
The Alvarez rep said there was no counterpart. He said the AF60CESHB would be the closest.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
My Alvarez AD610 top cracked at 6 months. My Yamahas and Eastmans kept in the same conditions are fine. Could have been a fluke, could be they are using wood that isn't properly dried. Their warranty specifically does not cover this.
Were you keeping it humidified properly?
Old 03-19-2018, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
If Alvarez follows the path of Washburn, you will not find any of their 2017
models with any Rosewood on them.
Washburn told me that they will no longer import their guitars to the USA if they have any Rosewood on them.
This is because of the cost of having the guitars CITES certified.

This has me wondering if they will start using synthetic materials like Richlite in place of Rosewood for fret boards and bridges.
In the last month, I have personally played two new Alvarezes (AG75CE, AD70) that had rosewood backs and sides. Whether or not they were 2017 models is debatable. One dealer did say that the AG75CE was being discontinued due to the rosewood issue, but I think a lot of dealers are dropping that line hoping for a quick sale.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed66 View Post
I actually just picked up (last week) the AG75CE (Cedar top, rosewood back & sides) on a whim after looking at the reviews, specs and finding a $100.00 off GC online coupon code. I'm very impressed with it. It has a wonderful tone, very playable neck and the best factory setup of any guitar I've ever owned. While appearance isn't one of my primary concerns, I think it looks beautiful as well. I'm all about value and the Artist series from Alvarez appears to have that in spades.
I was looking at that model too! I am partial to Spruce tops, but how does the cedar compare?
Old 03-19-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
In the last month, I have personally played two new Alvarezes (AG75CE, AD70) that had rosewood backs and sides. Whether or not they were 2017 models is debatable. One dealer did say that the AG75CE was being discontinued due to the rosewood issue, but I think a lot of dealers are dropping that line hoping for a quick sale.
What did you think of the AG75E?
Old 03-19-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
I have owned eight Alvarez guitars.
Still have five.
The only one that has cracked, came to me with the crack.
It has been repaired more than competently, and while it’s probably the second ugliest guitar I own...it sounds amazing.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

Last edited by Oldguy64; 03-19-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:09 PM

I find it a bit warmer in tone. I've got a spruce/rosewood Seagull that has much more punch to it, although is a dreadnought and the Alvarez is a GA.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 03-20-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
An Alavarez rep just told me they are switching from rosewood to walnut for the back/sides on this line.
Don't blame them. The description says Rosewood fingerboard though. So this guitar has the same $100 CITES fee as one made out of solid rosewood.

(it's per instrument, and the amount of RW doesn't matter)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-20-2018, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What did you think of the AG75E?
I quite liked it. Interesting combo of tonewoods. Played well (although I can't really play) and the electronics were decent. Great looks and very comfy. Wish I could tell you more but I'm not well-versed in acoustics.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:27 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I recently tried this model at a GC and agree that I was surprised by how good it sounded and how easy it played. Of course, this is the most important aspect, but that said, the gloss finish concerned me. Where the gloss transitioned to the top of the body/neck, it was too sharp/clean such that it seemed that the body finish is actually a fake shrink wrap gloss...I’m not kidding. So despite the surprising tone and playability, unless I’m wrong about how the gloss finish is applied, I would not take a chance on one.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Don't blame them. The description says Rosewood fingerboard though. So this guitar has the same $100 CITES fee as one made out of solid rosewood.

(it's per instrument, and the amount of RW doesn't matter)
Maybe I misheard. It's possible he said switching from rosewood to walnut in general.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion