The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-16-2018, 05:58 PM

Default Has anyone ever replaced the tuners on a slotted headstock with locking tuners?

Seems like it would be possible to do that, right?
Old 03-16-2018, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

As far as I know no one makes them.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:11 PM

Yeah, I don't see anything specific, I was just wondering that since some of them use the typical Kluson footprint if they couldn't just be put in there.

I suppose that there might be a difference in the hole sizes, it looks like the typical tuner shaft on a slotted headstock looks a little thicker.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:37 PM

The paddle head tuner on the left has a 'dished' area for the string winding and only one string hole.
The slot head tuner on the right typically has a straight, even shaft and 2 string holes.... as far as I know it's that string hole in the middle of the shaft that gets used on slot-heads.

I think the paddle head tuner string hole would be too close to the inner headstock area if fitted to a slot-head.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-16-2018, 06:59 PM

Yeah, I was wondering that also, even if one could be made to fit, would it drag the string dramatically around from where the nut slots are and inflict tuning problems.

Maybe it's a dumb idea. Oh well. Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-16-2018, 07:43 PM

I don't think it's a dumb idea at all. I love locking tuners--they make string changes so easy I actually change my strings as often as should now.

And all of the 12-fret Taylors I've been lusting for have slotted headstocks. I really, really wish someone made locking slothead tuners, but I've never seen any.

It sounds to me like you are asking if regular 3+3 tuners could be installed on a slotted headstock. I don't know, but if you try it, and it works, please post here about it. I'd love to see what you did and how it worked.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:47 PM

Yeah, I put locking tuners on literally every guitar I own, and there is a slotted headstock Martin that I'm going to pass on since it won't be an option. No big deal.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
Seems like it would be possible to do that, right?
I doubt it, but why would you want to put stuff like that on a slothead?
Old 03-17-2018, 07:02 AM

Because I hate tuners that aren't locking.

I also get kind of surly when people question why I want something. Whether or not I should want something isn't what I asked, I'm a grown man who knows what I want and what works for me. I don't question your decisions, do I? I saw you had a video up about how you like 12 fret guitars. I liked it. Would you like it if I implied you didn't know what you were talking about and that 14 fret guitars were just fine for you?
Old 03-17-2018, 12:07 PM

I love locking tuners, too. I think I see what you're getting at, and maybe it's possible.

My main concerns would be the thickness of the headstock and the wider hole you'd have to drill weakening it. I'd also be worried about the angle between the E strings and the posts.

But as I said, if you have a look and decide to try putting 3+3 locking tuners on a slothead, I'd love to hear how it comes out.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post

I also get kind of surly when people question why I want something. Whether or not I should want something isn't what I asked, I'm a grown man who knows what I want and what works for me. I don't question your decisions, do I? I saw you had a video up about how you like 12 fret guitars. I liked it. Would you like it if I implied you didn't know what you were talking about and that 14 fret guitars were just fine for you?
Easy there Larry. perhaps Silly wasn’t questioning you personally, but was simply trying to understand what advantage there was (to you) of making the change. Perhaps you’re confusing his attempt to understand with your issue of not liking to be questioned.
Or maybe I’m wrong and he was attacking you personally .

Just a thought.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 03-17-2018, 07:34 PM

I mean, the merits of locking tuners can't be all that mysterious or anything.

And frankly, you can't ask about locking tuners on anything without every Tom, Dick and Harry crawling out and telling you how you don't need them in the first place. It gets old.

Like if you asked about a Martin, and people were all like, ah, you don't need that- you need a Taylor!

Bad forum etiquette. Anyway, I got my answer, so thanks all. Even Silly.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:55 AM

A very messy (incorrect) slot head tuner swap just showed up on ebay here in Australia.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-18-2018, 09:35 AM

God. I think that answers that.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:44 PM

You could modify locking tuning machines by drilling a hole in both tuner shaft and inner locking pin in the proper location for each string location. The original hole would nearly extend into the center post of the headstock.

You could find a style to fit. Footprint may not match and some reaming to enlarge the holes may be required.

Kluson lockers won't work. Locking knob is on wrong end.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair