The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-13-2017, 08:17 AM
G625 mistral-k

Default Tech Addiction Is More of a Problem Than People Realize

In line with Bob Womack's post "Eerie Experience This Morning", I find this article lines up quite well with his experience.

As an example, this post permits me to connect with the AGF community, however, as the author observes, the depth of the connection through the use of technology is limited.

I also agree with the author that "we are drowning in data, but starving for wisdom".

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/tech/t...ize-ncna810246
Old 10-13-2017, 08:45 AM

I vigorously disagree with the “starving for wisdom” part of the statement.

Wisdom traditions and esoteric teachings are more available today than ever before. Things that someone would have to travel thousands of miles to even hope to be taught are available immediately on the internet. Lectures by accomplished practitioners and revered teachers of all stripes are on YouTube. Translations of ancients texts of all traditions are also available through a quick Google search and a few clicks.

Think of how hard it was to find any esoteric teaching or truly wise teacher 150 years ago...you usually had to be quite devoted and quite lucky, and probably devote all of your energies to searching and seeking.

Any lack of wisdom is because of poor consumptive habits...going for content that is basically “junk food” for the psyche and soul, rather than the deep nourishment that can be had more easily than ever before.

The use of the term “addiction” says it all: when the suffering that attends compulsive use gets great enough, people will seek a return to sanity and a healing of their addictive propensities. In the interim, it will be quite a roller coaster ride, with lots of self-destructive behavior being manifest.

Last edited by buddyhu; 10-13-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

...So our ability to succeed in the technology-dominated workplace of the future depends, in no small measure, on our ability to — right now — take back control of our technology, and our lives.

I personally feel that the real issues are and will increase outside of the workplace. Social interactions, such as we enjoy on AGF and other online locations, will increasingly become the norm while REAL interpersonal interactions may become less frequent and meaningful....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-13-2017, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post

Wisdom traditions and esoteric teachings are more available today than ever before. Things that someone would have to travel thousands of miles to even hope to be taught are available immediately on the internet. Lectures by accomplished practitioners and revered teachers of all stripes are on YouTube. Translations of ancients texts of all traditions are also available through a quick Google search and a few clicks.

Think of how hard it was to find any esoteric teaching or truly wise teacher 150 years ago...you usually had to be quite devoted and quite lucky, and probably devote all of your energies to searching and seeking.

Any lack of wisdom is because of poor consumptive habits...going for content that is basically “junk food” for the psyche and soul, rather than the deep nourishment that can be had more easily than ever before.

The use of the term “addiction” says it all: when the suffering that attends compulsive use gets great enough, people will seek a return to sanity and a healing of their addictive propensities. In the interim, it will be quite a roller coaster ride, with lots of self-destructive behavior being manifest.
I would tend to agree that we are not starving for wisdom I think it is more a matter of choosing to ignore it, and the rejection of it becoming a form of acceptable and promoted behavior

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-13-2017, 09:12 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:

Rich,

No doubt they are more available, however, as you point out, they have poor consumption habits. I believe that individuals who are glued to their phones are bombarded with data, but not wisdom. This is what I inferred from the author's statement. I liken it to satisfying our hunger with junk food when what really is needed is nourishment. Perhaps going through the article might put it in better context.

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 10-13-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:19 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I would tend to agree that we are not starving for wisdom I think it is more a matter of choosing to ignore it, and the rejection of it becoming a form of acceptable and promoted behavior
I observe information/data being pushed to the user while wisdom is not. In general, people will consume what is put in front of them. Data and information pushed to you is convenient and requires very little effort to consume. As you noted, it requires thoughtful choice and effort to ignore it and consume something else.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:

This is the key problem today- most of us go for the easy, addictive, more-base stuff.
You know elephants will just eat marshmallows all day if you hand-feed it to them.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:43 AM

I agree in a sense... And that sense is that there's a natural swing of the pendulum... Society seems to swing back and forth between embrace of technology and an embrace of anachronism... And we are currently over on the "Embrace technology/disdain anachronism" side...

With that swing - we have more or less ignored or disdained "The Classics" as well as "traditional" wisdom.. The body of timeless "Wisdom" that has stood the test of centuries and even millenia... Ironically - this existing body of wisdom already addresses all of these points.. It doesn't specifically call out how to operate Smart Phones... But there has been plenty of "New Stuff" in the last 3,000 years.

And so the real solution is not to invent new and creative innovations - rather it is to allow that neither "The Ancients", nor your parents were idiots... That the body of existing wisdom is worthwhile even in our Grand New Era...

Thanks

Last edited by Truckjohn; 10-13-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:52 AM

We're drowning in influence!

f-d
Old 10-13-2017, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I believe in this era of information-overload, the true challenge will be discernment and the ability to separate good wisdom from bad.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 10-13-2017, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I believe in this era of information-overload, the true challenge will be discernment and the ability to separate good wisdom from bad.
Isn't "bad wisdom" an oxymoron???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-13-2017, 11:32 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Is it overload, or simply an over abundance? No one is forcing us to take it in, and what starts out as a conscious choice becomes an addiction and habit. I liken it to buffet constantly placed in front of us. Individuals need to learn the discipline of portion control and knowing what is good to eat.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:32 PM

They may have been talking about Facebook, but I think it could apply to constantly surfing the internet in general. Someone said it's like gambling. You keep pulling the lever until you get a payoff...and that makes you go right back to pulling the lever again. You get a "hit" just often enough to keep you addicted.
Yamaha FG730S
1950 Epiphone Triumph
Old 10-13-2017, 12:47 PM

From the article:

"One of the things we’re doing at Thrive Global with our technology platform — creating apps and tools and even AI that helps rebuild those barriers around our humanity, and reclaim the time and space needed for real connection."

Addicted to the internet?

We've got an app for that.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Isn't "bad wisdom" an oxymoron???
I don't know but it sounds like a heck of great song hook

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic