The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Old 12-25-2018, 03:05 PM

Default String longevity?

Hi guys, I am selling some gear to take the plunge into harp guitars. Looking at the timberline budget series 20 with case. No electronics. How long do the bass strings last? Anything to know about restringing these? Also, not sure how good the timberline gig bag is, deciding on that or the hard case. Any info on these guitars and cases would be appreciated. I have done some googling and youtubing, just looking for yous guys advice.

Thanks
Old 12-25-2018, 05:21 PM

I have a Holloway HG prototype (now known as Dyer Harp Guitars).
Being as those bass strings don't get fretted or "played" very often, mine usually can go most of the year. I was playing mine every day, but with a recent acquisition the HG has been sitting since Spring. I am looking to change out all of the strings on it here during my holiday break. I know when I do that it'll get back to being played; there's something about that depth of sound of a piano coming off one's knee (there's so much surface area on that vibrating top that is so satisfying)!
Go to Harp Guitar Music and communicate with Gregg Miner about sizes for the bass strings depending on the tuning you might choose.
Enjoy!

Last edited by Naboz; 12-25-2018 at 05:22 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-26-2018, 10:03 AM

I bought an Emerald synergy harp guitar in august and have been wondering the same thing about the life of the sub bass strings....The only thing I noticed so far is a slight discoloration of the bass strings where they are plucked with the pick....Have not noticed much of a difference in tone if any and its been 5 months since I got the guitar....Good luck with your new harp guitar you will be amazed at how great it sounds.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I have found that the bass strings last 3 or 4 months. they deteriorate gradually but then when you change them you realize what you were missing. Gregg Miner can set you up with what you need.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:04 PM

You are right about that, Randall; when the strings are changed you really notice how much better tone and sustain are!
You're also much more proficient than I in your playing (of the HG), and so wear them sooner

Last edited by Naboz; 12-29-2018 at 02:05 PM. Reason: mfxt
Old 12-29-2018, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

I haven't changed mine in the 2 or 3 years I've owned both guitars. I asked Greg how long the subs last, and he told me (knowing I was new to harp guitar) "For you, pretty much forever". I'm sure I'd hear a difference if I did change them, but they certainly don't sound dead like the fretted strings eventually sound. The frets themselves cause a lot of the degradation in guitar strings, particularly the higher harmonics, but the subs don't have frets, and they're deep to start with, with fewer higher harmonics even when new. Bass guitar strings last a relatively long time for this second reason, too. Meanwhile, I've changed the fretted strings on both harp guitars many times since I got them.

So, I think it really depends on how particular you are, and what your ears hear out of your guitar.

Having said that, at some point soon I do want to change them out, not because they're dead but because they're tuned down a ways compared with the standard sub tuning, so I'd probably be happier with slightly thicker subs on both guitars.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 01-04-2019, 01:20 PM

I can vouch for the Timberlines. They are really nice guitars for the money. I have the 60 series and love it. I have the hard case which is okay for storage -- I have seen the gig bag, and it is a very nice gig bag -- much better quality than most gig bags I've seen. Cheers and good luck to you.

I have had mine for about 5 months and haven't changed the subs yet.... but I do notice they are not as crisp as they were... still sound good though.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 01-18-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Well having just re-strung the subs on my S18 (thanks Gregg!), I can say: I do indeed hear the difference compared with the 2 year old strings I replaced. It's the same sound difference you hear with new strings on any guitar, a brighter sound with more pronounced higher harmonics, but more subtle due to the low frequencies you get from the subs. There are no frets to distort the strings, but you will build up dust and oils from your fingers, or bits of flatpick in my case, and that seems enough to dull the sound over time. So YMMV, but for me (swapping between multiple guitars, playing with a flatpick, etc.) seems like annual changes are fine, and even two years is ok if you don't mind a slight darkening of the sub tone.

Edit: Just swapped the subs on my S12 too, with a similar difference. It's a bit more noticeable on this guitar than on the S18, possibly because the strings are tuned a bit higher, FGABbBC vs. a half-step down from that on the S18.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear

Last edited by JeffreyAK; 01-21-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:48 AM

Chiming in here. Sounds like most of the info has been covered regarding harp string longevity. When I was in China I noticed just about every acoustic guitar string would corrode in 2 months or less because of the high humidity. They went as far as plastic wrapping the strings on their floor models in the stores to keep them from turning green. If you live in a high humidity area you will have to change them more often. The reason they last longer than the strings on the neck is simple, you don't fret them with your left hand, so less oil gets on them from your fingers. Eventually they will darken because of the moisture in the air, how long depends on where you live, and if you are one who perspires a lot.

FWIW, I thought I'd also plug this video in case anyone missed it, Tonedevil will be releasing our imported, factory produced solid spruce top harp guitar this year, hopefully to retail around $1500 including our rigid gig bag and house pickup system. It'll be available at Guitar Center, musicians friend and just about every major online retailer.

Last edited by TonedevilGuitar; 03-03-2019 at 01:53 AM. Reason: video not working, i didn't read instructions, DOH!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar