The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-18-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
Are you asking how we know the different ways of playing the chords such as G and C on guitar? Like JonPR, I don't really 'get' the question.
Yeah different variations of one chord. I should get on learning some theory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
You mean different shapes? You need to know where the notes are!
Triads or something?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:27 PM

There are lots of ways of playing any one chord. Music theory holds your answer. I've started a new thread on the subject of how we as a forum present this stuff but if you have specific questions I will try to answer here.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
There are lots of ways of playing any one chord. Music theory holds your answer. I've started a new thread on the subject of how we as a forum present this stuff but if you have specific questions I will try to answer here.
I might head down to my local library and see if they have any books on some basic music theory...

I appreciate everyone's help too... if I hadn't said that too many times already!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigomist View Post
Yeah different variations of one chord. I should get on learning some theory...
Notes on the fretboard, at least where you're playing chords (frets 0-3?), is the first thing to learn. That way, you'll learn which notes are in which chords, and you may start to spot patterns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigomist View Post
Triads or something?
All the basic chords are triads, which just means 3 different notes (root-3rd-5th). Guitar shapes always double up one or more of those notes to use more strings and fill the sound out.

A little experimentation - using your ear - ought to help you work out alternative shapes (higher up the neck, with or without a capo) for the chords you know in open position.

You don't really need theory for this, although of course it will do no harm! (Try to find a guitar-friendly book, because you need to be able to play what you read.)
Old 07-19-2013, 02:46 AM

Have you seen this web site?

http://chordify.net

Its not perfect - I just tried it with one of my original pieces that I have up on YouTube, and it kind of missed some of the important features of the piece - but it seems to work reasonably well in some cases, and it might give you enough to get started with working on a piece.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write