The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 08:57 PM

Default K&K string pop when palm mute

Finally got the Pure Mini installed in my Larrivee D9. already had the mic installed. Love the sound. as I play more aggressively and do a moderate string slap and/or palm mute, there is a popping sound. Anyone experience this it do a I b have an installation issue.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:21 PM

I don't do 'string pops' (or else I don't know what they are) but I do harmonic slaps (hit across seventh or twelfth fret with length of right hand finger) on 3 different guitars with K+K pure mini. No odd noises at all.

I wonder if one of the discs is loose?

Do any of your string pairs (EB, GD, AE) have reduced volume compared to the other pairs? That could indicate a transducer disc that isn't securely attached.

Another idea - maybe you are overloading your preamp (or whatever you are going into from the K+K)? Percussive techniques like that can have huge spikes in amplitude. I saw that when using harmonic slaps and recording. I didn't overload, but I had to limit the crap out of the peaks.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-20-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I don't do 'string pops' (or else I don't know what they are) but I do harmonic slaps (hit across seventh or twelfth fret with length of right hand finger) on 3 different guitars with K+K pure mini. No odd noises at all.

I wonder if one of the discs is loose?

Do any of your string pairs (EB, GD, AE) have reduced volume compared to the other pairs? That could indicate a transducer disc that isn't securely attached.

Another idea - maybe you are overloading your preamp (or whatever you are going into from the K+K)? Percussive techniques like that can have huge spikes in amplitude. I saw that when using harmonic slaps and recording. I didn't overload, but I had to limit the crap out of the peaks.
The string pairs seem to be even on volume. It's happening when I strum and then mute with my right hand in a slap motion just in front of the bridge. You could be right about the percussive sound causing a spike. I might just have to limit my style, but wanted to first see if anyone had the same issue.
I sent a note to K&K support to see what they say. They're great for questions.
Thanks!
Old 03-21-2018, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Because the K&K is a soundboard-transducer, it is sensitive to anything which makes the soundboard vibrate. 'Slapping' the strings would certainly do that. Sounds to me as though it's a K&K efficiently doing what it was designed to do - perfectly normal. Even something as simple as brushing an arm across the top will be picked up by a K&K.

I find that, if I have too much bass in my EQ, the act of over-hitting the bottom E will produce a rather 'explosive' sound from my Roland AC-60 amp - you could try reducing the amount of bass in your EQ, and also step back the input gain slightly. And, of course, be less energetic in the delivery of your 'string-slaps'!

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 03-21-2018 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Somewhat similar but likely different from you but still worth mentioning is that I get an electric snap/pop from my K&K guitars if I even moderately palm mute the strings (like after a song has faded) but only when I'm using my X-vive X2 wireless system straight into the guitar. It does not happen if I've connected via guitar cord or even if I've got the little K&K belt clip preamp on so I've always attributed it to something in the wireless.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

I've really had to adapt my playing style to my soundboard transducer equipped guitars. I got in the habit of using the side of my picking hand against the bridge to add a touch of percussion to my playing. This doesn't work with soundboard transducers at all. You'll just have to play around with your technique some to get the effects you like.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-24-2018, 09:50 AM

Great news. The bass tones were being overdriven so when I backed down the eq the pop went away.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion