The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 09:24 AM

Default Thanks Charmed Life Picks (Scott)

Let me start with the main point, Charmed Life Picks are great picks! If you want to squeeze out every drop of tone from your instrument, I’ve recently learned, a great pick will be necessary.

As a long time (40+ years) user of Jim Dunlop .60mm nylon picks I recently ordered a Charmed Life Pick in the Brown ("cl") series .60mm. I received the picks and upon first use I preferred the tone of the Charmed Life Brown pick to that of the Jim Dunlop. I used the Brown CLP for several days, swapping back and forth with the Jim Dunlop, and continued to favor the CLP. After several days of evaluation I came to the conclusion that for 40+ years I had underestimated (or ignored out of complacency) the role of the guitar pick in the tone recipe.

I primarily play acoustic guitar these days. I have concentrated on finger style playing for many years ( I use natural fingernails) but, recently I've been dusting off my flatpicking chops. I've always lusted for the tone I heard from players like Doc Watson, Clarence White, Tony Rice, David Grier, Norman Blake, Kenny Smith, etc...I know that these player’s great tone starts in their hands and then trickles down to the related parts (picks, strings, instruments) but, I had never been able to achieve the warm, full tone of these great players, until last night.

Yesterday I received 3 new picks from Charmed Life Picks. A red(“nr”)series, natural(“n”)series and a Flame(“n”)series all .75mm. My understanding is that all of these models of CL-picks are made from Casein. Upon the first few notes played with these picks, I immediately knew that what I was hearing was the closest thing I had ever heard, coming from my hands, to the tone I was seeking. I was finally hearing the full potential of the strings and instrument. It was a full, warm, wooden sound. It was strong chemistry, I didn’t want to stop playing.

If you’re like me and you’ve invested time and resources into learning, practicing, string selection and instrument(s) selection but, you haven’t considered the role of the guitar pick in the tone recipe, I would highly recommend you try a Charmed Life Pick. It was a real eye/ear opener for me, the missing piece of the tone puzzle. In addition to being great picks Charmed Life Picks offer a great warranty and top shelf customer service. Also, these picks are gorgeous, like pieces of art. Highly recommended!

Thanks Scott! I hope you’re making more picks because I’ll need more.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations, Snoop! That pretty much describes me too. I went from decades of Dunlop nylon (or worse) to a CLP brown and loved it. It was awesome! Then I tripped over the casein Flame Tri... and it was even "awesomer"! Lol... Enjoy. They are addictive.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Keep picking and you'll love them even more. Give his black one a try too, I like it even better than the brown.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-20-2018, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Give his black one a try too, I like it even better than the brown.
Hey GWP, can you tell more about why you like the black more? Thanks...
Old 03-20-2018, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Hey GWP, can you tell more about why you like the black more? Thanks...
Hi Kerbie, I've got a brown and a couple of blacks from Scott. When I play the brown it sounds warm, articulate and smooth like Vespel should sound. The black picks to my ear are a bit more articulate and bring out the "wood" of the guitar more. Just kinda works for me personally a little better.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 03-20-2018, 10:19 AM

The great thing about good picks is that they do not have a "sound". The better the pick, the more sonically transparent they are. They simply allow you easy access to the sound of the instrument and strings.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Kerbie, I've got a brown and a couple of blacks from Scott. When I play the brown it sounds warm, articulate and smooth like Vespel should sound. The black picks to my ear are a bit more articulate and bring out the "wood" of the guitar more. Just kinda works for me personally a little better.
Thanks, Mick, that's interesting. I also did a black-vs-brown comparison. That was tough... they were pretty close. I ended up preferring the black, but I'm not sure I knew exactly why.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Thanks, Mick, that's interesting. I also did a black-vs-brown comparison. That was tough... they were pretty close. I ended up preferring the black, but I'm not sure I knew exactly why.
I think HHP actually hit it right on the head. The black is more transparent than the brown, but both are excellent.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 03-20-2018, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think HHP actually hit it right on the head. The black is more transparent than the brown, but both are excellent.
That may be it. I know it was a very small difference, but it was there.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

CL Brown sounds great! Sadly, when my J15 was passed around at a jam last summer, it came back without the CL Brown Tri tucked in below the nut. Not cool.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

snoop, thanks so much for taking the time to post.

He mentioned the flame models. These will be back in stock next week.

Thanks Again,
sm
Old 03-20-2018, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

He mentioned the flame models. These will be back in stock next week.

Beautiful!!!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:30 AM

The Flame, Red and Natural Charmed Life Picks are all beautifully crafted picks. Just stunning to look at. Their beauty is second only to the tone these picks coax from a guitar. I've never owned a real tortoise shell pick but, I've heard them and the Red, Flame and Natural Charmed Life Picks create the closest thing to what I'll call "Tortoise Tone" than any pick I've ever used.

Best money I've spent in a long time.

Last edited by snoopster; 03-21-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Keep picking and you'll love them even more. Give his black one a try too, I like it even better than the brown.
Folks, Mick is a good friend of mine but I have no vested interest.

He's got a new line of black flatpicks. I'm not sure what material it is, except it's not the same stuff we're using. There are more than a hundred (100) black thermoplastics that have never been made into picks. He obviously found a good one.

An FYI: Mick is about the pickiest fella I know when it comes to picks, even worse than me. Like me, he totally backed into this business by building stuff for himself, then people started asking him to make one for them.

Please look at his selection of his black models and consider ordering one. He's a very good guy, an excellent guitarist, and if he says it's good, it's good.

Again, no business relationship between us, except we like to support one another when we can.

thanks,
scott memmer
Old 03-22-2018, 04:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Folks, Mick is a good friend of mine but I have no vested interest.

He's got a new line of black flatpicks. I'm not sure what material it is, except it's not the same stuff we're using. There are more than a hundred (100) black thermoplastics that have never been made into picks. He obviously found a good one.

An FYI: Mick is about the pickiest fella I know when it comes to picks, even worse than me. Like me, he totally backed into this business by building stuff for himself, then people started asking him to make one for them.

Please look at his selection of his black models and consider ordering one. He's a very good guy, an excellent guitarist, and if he says it's good, it's good.

Again, no business relationship between us, except we like to support one another when we can.

thanks,
scott memmer

Thanks buddy I appreciate it. As a general rule thermoplastics come in two colors: Black and Something Ugly. LOL
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion