The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-09-2018, 02:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default After The Gold Rush - two versions (acoustic and electric)

Hi folks!

Trying to work my way out of a creative rut, I decided to rework some songs I’ve done in the past. Here is one, an old Neil Young tune. The first version is acoustic (Santa Cruz OM Grand), and, just for fun, I also did an electric version (strat and Princeton reverb).

For those who have the patience or interest in listening to both: which do you prefer? I played about the same in both videos, but clearly the different instruments impart a much different feel. I don’t know yet which I prefer.

Thanks for listening and for feedback!

Old 03-09-2018, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Very nice Larry!

I think both versions came out very well. And what a lovely room you have to play in there!

If I had to choose, I think I would choose the one with the Santa Cruz OM Grand, simply because I find myself marveling at how good that guitar sounds as you play it. What a very sweet sounding guitar! I am thinking that you have the guitars in drop-D tuning and that really adds a lot of bass for that OM Grand.

Well done and very fun listening experience!

- Glenn
Old 03-09-2018, 10:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Glenn, I hope that you’re recovering well!

I did use drop D tuning here. The bass on this OM Grand is really satisfying in dropped tunings. And yes, I tend to disappear in this room for hours at a time!

Thanks so much for your comment!
Old 03-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Guest 33123

Awesome Larry! Hard to choose but I'm going with the OMG though I did like the throbbing tremolo on the Princeton.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Hi Glenn, I hope that you’re recovering well!

I did use drop D tuning here. The bass on this OM Grand is really satisfying in dropped tunings. And yes, I tend to disappear in this room for hours at a time!

Thanks so much for your comment!
Hi Larry,

I am doing quite well. I am getting myself ready to head off for my first physical therapy appointment today. Surgery was a week and a half ago, and I am doing even better than after my left hip joint surgery. I am the bionic man!

- Glenn
Old 03-09-2018, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Nice arrangement Larry, the drop D is a neat touch. And I'll vote for the SC, too
Old 03-09-2018, 06:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Awesome Larry! Hard to choose but I'm going with the OMG though I did like the throbbing tremolo on the Princeton.
Thanks Doug! I’m a little addicted to that Princeton tremolo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Larry,

I am doing quite well. I am getting myself ready to head off for my first physical therapy appointment today. Surgery was a week and a half ago, and I am doing even better than after my left hip joint surgery. I am the bionic man!

- Glenn
Sounds like your recovery is going smoothly, Glenn. Glad to hear it. Don’t let those P.T.s beat you up too much (I’m a P.T., so I can say that!). Thanks again for your nice comments!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Nice arrangement Larry, the drop D is a neat touch. And I'll vote for the SC, too
Thank you Bob! So far, it’s 3 - 0 for the SC. Well, this is the acoustic guitar forum, after all! But I think I agree with you guys.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:40 PM

Well done! I think I prefer the stray version , the trebles are singing more IMO, the sounds fits the tune pretty well !
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 03-17-2018, 12:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Johan,

That’s one vote for the strat! Thanks so much for your comment!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:18 AM

Great playing and your room is something to strive for.. :o *Jealous*

And I'm also opting for the OM But I just prefer acoustic over eletric :P

I will upload videos on a regular basis; enjoy
Old 03-17-2018, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Great job .....Boy can't really choose a "like best", for me it's not an "or" choice, as they both offer something very identifiable.

(Playing the uninvited producer) what I would like to see/hear in a single version using both instruments .
Something like start with the SC but end the intro after 16 seconds . then play the SC as you do on the first verse and continue with that
Bring the Strat in at say 57 seconds and play offset fills over the SC ....Just a thought. Obviously not a recorded like live performance situation, but the beauty of recording is we are not restricted and can do both

Also If it were me I would experiment with possibly moving the amp out of the corner (understanding I am listening on Apple ear buds ) but I am hearing a slight Bite to elec sound in a few spots that could possibly some kind of corner reflection . Just some things

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-17-2018, 09:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickb View Post
Great playing and your room is something to strive for.. :o *Jealous*

And I'm also opting for the OM But I just prefer acoustic over eletric :P
Thanks Rick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Great job .....Boy can't really choose a "like best", for me it's not an "or" choice, as they both offer something very identifiable.

(Playing the uninvited producer) what I would like to see/hear in a single version using both instruments .
Something like start with the SC but end the intro after 16 seconds . then play the SC as you do on the first verse and continue with that
Bring the Strat in at say 57 seconds and play offset fills over the SC ....Just a thought. Obviously not a recorded like live performance situation, but the beauty of recording is we are not restricted and can do both

Also If it were me I would experiment with possibly moving the amp out of the corner (understanding I am listening on Apple ear buds ) but I am hearing a slight Bite to elec sound in a few spots that could possibly some kind of corner reflection . Just some things
Thanks Kev - great advice! I haven’t experimented with multi-track type recording, but your post here makes me want to try it. I sure appreciate you taking the time!
Old 03-31-2018, 09:09 AM
G625 mistral-k

Fantastic! Loved both covers, however I was really drawn in by tone of your SC, especially the bass of your drop D tuning. Thank you for sharing!
Old 03-31-2018, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for the acoustic version. The strat has too much extraneous noise ringing along with the melody, and a higher base noise level - never truly quiet. Too much sustain at volume, whereas the acoustic decays warmly.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 03-31-2018, 08:18 PM

As a serious NY disciple (he and Stills were the reasons I started playing in 1973) and acoustic only player, I was surprised to find myself drawn to your electric version. It’s like trying to decide which of two exquisite Martin customs to play. Both are mighty fine, just different.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell