The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-01-2018, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
That's correct - so, where does "~51/52" come from? It's not half 115.5!
Look closer at what I wrote: 77 / 3 x 2 vs 77 x 3 / 2. The former is what the program is doing, the latter is what one needs to do to compensate for the program (reversing the ratio as it were).

Quote:
I still don't get how Pine got the 53-54 tap tempo (from a 6/8 piece playing at 77). I'd personally find it very counter-intuitive to tap the half-notes from a 6/8 tune, especially when the chords are changing every bar with the repeated arp pattern.
It's because the starting BPM was input at 77. That comes out to ~51/52 when the program beats it to quarter notes instead of dotted quarters. Since it was stated that the 53/54 BPM was approximate, I figure the actual tempo is slightly slower. That's how the math works anyway. Just as starting from 77 will get you 51.3333, starting from 115.5 will get you 77 BPM.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
Look closer at what I wrote: 77 / 3 x 2 vs 77 x 3 / 2. The former is what the program is doing, the latter is what one needs to do to compensate for the program (reversing the ratio as it were).
Apologies! Understood: 77 x 2/3 = 51.3.

It still doesn't correspond with any reasonable tempo for HOTRS, however. I think that's what was confusing me. We seem to have scared off the OP, though, so I won't dig into the math all over again...
Old 02-02-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Apologies! Understood: 77 x 2/3 = 51.3.

It still doesn't correspond with any reasonable tempo for HOTRS, however. I think that's what was confusing me. We seem to have scared off the OP, though, so I won't dig into the math all over again...
I wasn't scared off, I just don't check the forum every day. I have to spend my free time practicing. I've been playing 3 years, and I still stink! I'm looking forward to the day that I don't have to take anti-nausea medication to be able to listen to myself playing.

The interesting thing here is that I am trying to learn how to transcribe music, so I purposely chose a VERY EASY song that I know well. I knew the song was in 6/8, but didn't really understand what that meant rhythmically. I think I actually understand it now.

I'm entering my transcription into the Guitar Pro 7 software and playing it back as a check of the accuracy of my transcription. The problem I was having is that the software did not play the song back with the same rhythmic feel or tempo as the original. So then my question of: Is this my mistake, or is it the software?

With all you folk’s kind help, I've concluded the software does not play back the rhythm and tempo properly when entered using compound meters. (or at least 6/8. I haven't tried others. ) The tempo is wrong, it has the wrong rhythmic feel, and the metronome on "count in" plays 6 eighth note beats, not two dotted quarter note beats as I think it should.

Again, thanks to all of you who took the time to answer my questions. I really do appreciate the help.

Craig
Old 02-02-2018, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I wasn't scared off, I just don't check the forum every day. I have to spend my free time practicing.
Hahaha this response made my day
Old 02-02-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I wasn't scared off, I just don't check the forum every day. I have to spend my free time practicing.
Whaaaat!!!

You're letting us all down here!! How do you think we feel, slaving away over hot keyboards (and NOT the piano kind)!

Practising, huh... where you do think that will get you??
Quote:
The interesting thing here is that I am trying to learn how to transcribe music, so I purposely chose a VERY EASY song that I know well. I knew the song was in 6/8, but didn't really understand what that meant rhythmically. I think I actually understand it now.
Cool. Then our work is done.
Quote:
I'm entering my transcription into the Guitar Pro 7 software and playing it back as a check of the accuracy of my transcription. The problem I was having is that the software did not play the song back with the same rhythmic feel or tempo as the original. So then my question of: Is this my mistake, or is it the software?

With all you folk’s kind help, I've concluded the software does not play back the rhythm and tempo properly when entered using compound meters. (or at least 6/8. I haven't tried others. ) The tempo is wrong, it has the wrong rhythmic feel, and the metronome on "count in" plays 6 eighth note beats, not two dotted quarter note beats as I think it should.
OK. At risk of confusing things further, the 8th note rate (if you can program that) should be 246 bpm, to be the same speed as the original.
As I'm sure you understand, that should translate to 6/8 at a dotted quarter bpm of 82 ("one and a two and a").
You could try a 3/4 time sig at a quarter note rate of 61.5. That would mean 3 beat clicks per bar instead of 2 ("one and two and three and"), but should still make the music play at the same speed as the original.

If you prefer it slower than the original, adjust the math to taste.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write