The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-08-2009, 04:34 AM

Default back aches are just part of the job

I am right when i say this because all us self taught people skipped the crucial point that most classically taught people get when the start by playing position ( for good reason ) .

But i will take a guess we self taught people didn't do the book in that respect .

So i cant imagine i am alone when i just accept that aches in the morning after playing the previous day are one of the sacrifices of our passion .Anyway they go away after you start playing again the next day ,it loosens back off untill next morning

so what are we to do ....because when i play for long practice at home i slip into nana land .......not even consciously aware which day it is sometimes and because the habit of sitting correctly wasn't placed in the subconscious first i doubt i ever will now .The starting point for any classical guitarist is done for good reasons i think now .........but they always look so unhip ,so i thought then i was bigger than that ............thats why in between my shoulder blades are bl**dy aching lol

Last edited by markIvan; 12-08-2009 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:27 AM

cant believe i'm the only one getting a bad back ....................you guys arnt playing enough
Old 12-08-2009, 08:48 AM

I think my back problems are more related to me cartwheeling down the side of a mountain after losing one ski on a jump.

I haven't really noticed any back problems that seem to be related to guitar playing and I play in every position BUT the classical position. I'd like to think that it's because I'm still young enough that these things don't bother me yet. At least that's what I tell myself as I prepare for another grueling hour of physical therapy... for my back.
Wenge B/S Lutz/Cedar Double Top
Old 12-08-2009, 11:25 AM

I have always thought that my aches were related to guitar in my back but i do suffer from arthritis so thats the obvious conclusion then .......
Old 12-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelator View Post
I have always thought that my aches were related to guitar in my back but i do suffer from arthritis so thats the obvious conclusion then .......
I have arthritis and other issues with my lower back and geetar, standing or sitting, definitely causes pain.

Yes, that classical position would have been a great approach, and no I'm sure I'll never adopt it

A small pillow stuffed behind the lower back goes a long way to force the right posture and give support (I have one from the phys therapist behind me now, here at work, and roll up towels or whatever at home).

I'm still trying to figure out standing. I know playing a Strat helped a lot cuz the belly, back and right arm cuts let me stand upright...but I went back to my Tele anyway, cuz I do loves me my Telecaster!

The weight of the strap pulling down on my left shoulder compresses the left side of my back, which is where things are a mess, but even with the heavy weight of an electric vs the lighter acoustic, it's still that slumping forward over the acoustic that really hurts. So, again, posture helps alot (tho not entirely).

...keep thinking I'll try putting the strap on the headstock to see whether that weight redistribution helps...yep, been thinking that for about six years now....

Finally, as the body is all connected to itself, like a lot of people problems with my left foot, of all things are a big source of my back pain (go figure! ...I didn't figure it, for sure, on my own...)...supporting my arch or even wrapping/taping it has really, really helped, and that's a lot easier on the rest of my system than daily doses of ibuprophen.

Good luck!
Old 12-08-2009, 03:00 PM

Zelator,

I won't leave you hanging out there along with bad "guitar back." Me, too. I played for hours yesterday and at the end, what a creaky, ache-ridden back I had. Same if I stand for hours. I tried my best to maintain good playing posture. I use a footrest and play in classical position. More frequent breaks definitely help. I'm pretty physically fit, but joint issues are my nemesis. I do wonder if a Sound seat might somehow help. I think it has more to do with being in pretty much one position for too long, though.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 12-08-2009, 03:13 PM

I also have bad back problems. I can only play for a few minutes at a time before my back starts aching. Even standing a short time while cooking causes problems for me. I have to take medication for it. The same goes for playing piano, I can only sit at the piano for a short time.

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 12-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryler View Post
I'm pretty physically fit, but joint issues are my nemesis. I do wonder if a Sound seat might somehow help. I think it has more to do with being in pretty much one position for too long, though.
Ditto on being in good shape but simply wearing out the joints....

A keyboard player exbandmate with a terrible lower back uses that sound seat with good results. It's definitely designed exactly the way my PT suggested I approach sitting.

td
Old 12-08-2009, 04:14 PM

Ahhhhhhh i draw comfort

I'm not the only one MMMMmmmmmmm.

Its a strange thing but to be honest i am a mess in the bone department but still its about waying up the values of life and i get much much more enjoyment from a guitar than i am bothered about pain ..............i just see as a price i think ....lol

hope i dont get into self harm
Old 12-08-2009, 04:27 PM

I've played for 40 years and tend to get a sore left side of the neck....this is playing in a 'correct' classical position.

However, I run for 20 minutes most days and I find it helps to loosen and realign the body. I also do about 20 minutes of light weights every second day and this also keeps things 'in shape'. If I stand using the Strat for more than 15 minutes and don't go for a light jog before going to bed then it is is a recipe for a headache from the strain on the muscles.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write