The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-23-2009, 08:26 AM

Default Discovered something new...

Hey guys, new to the forums here, been lurking around long enough .

Bit of an intro.

I havn't been playing guitar for long, maybe just abit under a year, im self taught, my inspiration for learning the guitar pretty much came all from Jason Mraz's music, after being given some of his much older and less known acoustic/sessions albums, i was in love with his music, got myself a cheapy nylon stringer and started practicing (singing also), i learnt mainly from reading tabs and the odd youtube video.

It was only recently that i went out and decided to search for a new guitar and came home with the Takamine in my signature, im only a student still so it took away a large chunk of my back pocket that was for sure ($700au). It was then that i decided to take it up a notch and learn some of the more difficult songs that i listen to. All i played was pretty much Mraz's music, with maybe abit of Jack Johnson and some other random songs thrown in the mix (think Wonderwall etc etc).

Then last night, i came across these 3 videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoTmA5Cp9x8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7lsflv2qvs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LW0eUpXy3A

I particularly want to focus on the 3rd video with Wayne Johnson, starting from the 4:18 mark when he begins the jazzy tune (well at least i think its jazzy) with the percussive sort of feel he gives it using the string tapping/muting/slapping, and then later on when he loops that same part and plays over it.

I'm not sure what happened but listening to him play that and the other 2 videos, i just thought to myself, "That sounds absolutley awesome, i need to learn to play songs like that". The songs just have a really great feel to them which i enjoy, Jason also does alot of jazzy style songs as well which might explain my influence.

Now pretty much what im asking to anyone reading this, is if anyone knows a fairly simple way for me to start playing songs like those 3. I know nothing about this genre of music so perhaps you could recommend some artists with similiar styles that i could listen to. Any links to tutorials/tabs with songs like those would help as well, because, well...typing 'jazz' into a guitar tab website search bar isn't much help i guess (ive tried...). Perhaps maybe even some collection of chords/progressions that i could put together and practice some improv with this style of jazz.

And this might be a long shot, but if anyone has a tab for any of the 3 videos or could show me the chords to the part im referring to in Wayne's video (4:18-4:49 & 6:20-6:30) that would be sweet. Anyway, thats pretty much it, sorry for the big read guys.

Cheers

Last edited by Stoogey; 11-23-2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: fixed spelling mistakes/punctuation
Old 11-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoogey View Post
...particularly want to focus on the 3rd video with Wayne Johnson, starting from the 4:18 mark when he begins the jazzy tune (well at least i think its jazzy) with the percussive sort of feel he gives it using the string tapping/muting/slapping, and then later on when he loops that same part and plays over it.
Hi Stoogey…
I'd look for some DVDs on playing Jazz and on Chord Melody styles and then increase your chord vocabulary.

The third video was played on a nylon string not steel string which does affect some of the style.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-23-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Stoogey…
I'd look for some DVDs on playing Jazz and on Chord Melody styles and then increase your chord vocabulary.

The third video was played on a nylon string not steel string which does affect some of the style.

Yeah, im planning to head down to the music shop tomorrow to try and track down some Jazz DVDs, are there any good ones out there that you could recommend i try keep an eye out for?

And yes i realise that it is a nylon string, the Tayor NS74CE is pretty much my dream guitar. The Takamine that i own now is similiar to that, it is a nylon string with a cutaway. From what my research tells me though, i think the only difference is that the Taylor is more of a hybrid guitar with a thinner neck at the nut etc.

I have tried many steel string guitars before i decided on the Takamine but i just seemed to prefer the sound of the nylon string more then i do the steel. Maybe it's also cause Jason Mraz plays nylon mostly too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write