The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2006, 09:37 AM

Default Are there any aftermarket onboard tuners?

I've been using one of those Intellitouch clamp on the headstock tuners with my Taylor. One of the things I miss most about my old Alvarez and Ovation guitars is the onboard tuner. Push a button, tune up, good to go, anytime anywhere.

Does anyone make a small onboard tuner that can be mounted in a discrete place on an acoustic guitar, like say with some semi-permanent double sided tape? I'm not overly worried about finish damage, but would like to investigage an alternative to the clamp on or outboard tuners. I don't need microscopic accuracy either.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Hi Joe...
There were a couple a few months back described in a discussion thread.

But why not just spend the same amount of bucks and get a floor pedal that does a bypass/mute when it activates the tuner and drops you out of the system? It is slicker, as accurate, hands free, and kinder to the PA guy.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-06-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar
Hi Joe...
There were a couple a few months back described in a discussion thread.

But why not just spend the same amount of bucks and get a floor pedal that does a bypass/mute when it activates the tuner and drops you out of the system? It is slicker, as accurate, hands free, and kinder to the PA guy.
My desire more revolves around situations where I just have my guitar with me and nothing else. Picnics, riding along in a bus, jamming with friends in the parking lot etc... I know I can simply do relative tuning and get all the strings correctly related to each other even if not at pitch, but sometimes it would be nice to be somewhat accurately tuned to pitch with just the push of a button like the old el cheapo guitars could do. I have it covered in plugged in situations. I was more curious as to what alternatives are out there. A web search has turned up the "Sabine" models, which I will research further. Thanks though!
Old 06-06-2006, 11:43 AM

I used to carry a tuning fork in my guitar case tuned to A-440... hit it on my knee & then touch it to the front of the guitar, it gets pretty loud.

The best things in life, are not Things...
Old 06-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Hi Joe...
I am not a fan of the stick on ones, that adhere to the side of the guitar, but it might be an option. Also, there is supposedly one that sits under the top and you can see it through the soundhole. I'd wonder about visibility at picnics and other outdoor events. I find that small colored leds and daylight don't mix well.

These little Intelli tuners work well (not to be confused with Intellitouch). Smaller than Intellitouch, and pocketable.

They can be found starting at $25 or so.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-06-2006, 12:01 PM

Kewl. I will check it out. Thanks!

I also came across this little gadget in searching the web:

http://www.guyatone.com/other/pt21.html
Old 06-06-2006, 12:18 PM

Perhaps the Wittman minituner would do the job for you. I install them in all my guitars.

http://www.wittman-spins.com/tuners.html

They're available from several online dealers.

Fran
Old 06-06-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry
Perhaps the Wittman minituner would do the job for you. I install them in all my guitars.

http://www.wittman-spins.com/tuners.html

They're available from several online dealers.

Fran

Now that looks promising! Is it mounted with double sided tape or screws? Where do you stash the 9V battery?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:39 PM

Sabine makes a stick on tuner that, according to another guy I jam with, works very well and is not supposed to harm the finish. Check www.sabineusa.com. I've never tried it myself, but I've seen it around quite a bit. Most music stores I deal with carry them.

I believe the model is AX3000 and it sounds like it is exactly what you are looking for.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:05 PM

Thanks all. I just ordered the Wittman Minituner from FQMS. That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank for the heads up Fran!
Old 06-09-2006, 02:15 PM

Installed the Wittman mini-tuner today. Including a complete string change, it took about 20 mins start to finish.

This thing is the bomb! It tucks nicely inside the soundhole. Easily viewed from the playing position, and very bright. Bright enough to be used outdoors. It seems to be extremely accurate also to. +- 1 cent.

It's funny that they say that when the 9V battery starts to go low, it will light at half brightness and that means there is only about 60 hours of use left. At that rate, I will only be changing batteries once a decade or so.

To my ear, mounting it and the battery inside the guitar made zero difference in the acoustic sound.

Thanks again Fran!
Old 06-11-2006, 02:05 PM

Hey, Joe (what a great idea for a song title!)

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Yes, double stick tape, I prefer the red backed 3M to the original, but both work.

I usually splice the battery leads into the pickup battery, so I only have one inside the guitar. That way when the tuner tells me the battery is low, I'm refreshing the power source for both systems.

The battery holder from B-Band that Bob Colossi sells is the best I've found by far, and worth the extra $5 or so.

The only limitation of the Wittman is the sensitivity to outside sound. If the bass player is noodling alongside you with his Ampeg stack cranked up, you'll have trouble tuning. Otherwise, the Wittman works easily and seems very accurate.

Fran
Old 06-11-2006, 02:36 PM

Thanks Fran.

Yes I used it this weekend in a live setting and it works great. Out of sight out in front, but clearly visible to me in the playing position. I love it.

I'm heading to the beach for a few days, but when I get back, I'll be making someone a great deal on a like new condition Intellitouch PT1.

Cheers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion