The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-21-2017, 03:07 PM

Default McGregor Mayweather. Can't wait, but won't buy it

Like the title says, can't wait because as Salvador Dali once said "So little of what might happen actually does"

However, what "might happen" probably won't, and Mayweather will probably dance around for 8 or 9 rounds until McGregor is gassed and close it out...

And since I've never paid for a fight in my life, the first won't be a "Yo. Watch me NOT get hit" clinic by Mayweather...

But boy. What if what "might happen" does
Old 08-21-2017, 04:14 PM

i gave up on brutal sports a long time ago. to each their own, but i don't understand why people enjoy watching almost humans beat each other up.

as with everything on the agf, it is all subjective.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-21-2017, 05:39 PM

Love it. Son in law thinks he can get it on his firestick
Old 08-21-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i gave up on brutal sports a long time ago. to each their own, but i don't understand why people enjoy watching almost humans beat each other up.

as with everything on the agf, it is all subjective.
Might want to clarify the "almost humans" line and drop it completely in your future discussions, especially face to face ones.

Given that the "fight game" has historically been predominantly made up of the culturally and racially oppressed.

Some of those groups like the Irish, Mexicans, Blacks, etc. might, if they overhear you in a bar/pub/restaurant/bus stop/etc, decide to vigorously rebut your statements, if you get my meaning...
Old 08-21-2017, 06:04 PM

Default Mayweather will probably dance around for 8 or 9 rounds

Won't give these guys a dime either....but it'll be something if McGregor tags him
Old 08-21-2017, 06:45 PM

I like fighting, I do judo a few times a week and have done some type of contact sport most of my life. I have absolutely no interest in this matchup. I think it is overhyped and the participants (at least one of them) are behaving boorishly simply to create interest.

At least Ali had wit to go with his showmanship.

They will fight it on Boxing rules, it will be boring as hell, neither one will do any serious damage, Mayweather will have a very easy time of it. And they will collect huge purses after boring the audience who emptied their respective wallets to watch it.
Yamaha FG 410A
Cordoba Acero D9ce
Old 08-21-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermiteTermite View Post
I like fighting, I do judo a few times a week and have done some type of contact sport most of my life. I have absolutely no interest in this matchup. I think it is overhyped and the participants (at least one of them) are behaving boorishly simply to create interest.

At least Ali had wit to go with his showmanship.

They will fight it on Boxing rules, it will be boring as hell, neither one will do any serious damage, Mayweather will have a very easy time of it. And they will collect huge purses after boring the audience who emptied their respective wallets to watch it.
McGregor's superfans are very annoying, but McGregor is actually very funny if you listen to him.

Ali, was Ali and I'm not comparing the two, but McGregor does have wit.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-21-2017, 08:11 PM

The only way Mcgregor wins this fight is if a congenital heart condition fells Floyd Mayweather moments before he enters the ring (Simpsons reference).
Old 08-21-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
McGregor's superfans are very annoying, but McGregor is actually very funny if you listen to him.

Ali, was Ali and I'm not comparing the two, but McGregor does have wit.
Yes, McGregor is very quick-witted.
I will watch it live; splitting with others. It's fun to have such an event --kind of a superbowl get together. Doesn't matter that much if the fight is less-than, but who knows? Could be cool if Conor nails him.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 08-21-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermiteTermite View Post
Yup. Unless we're wrong and Floyd taunts him and catches one hard to the chin. That's the only drama in this fight. A surprise knockout all of us hope is coming, but none of us will see coming.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:49 AM

I was hoping for 8 ounce gloves to make it maybe a little more competitive.

Conner will fight as smart as he can and will most likely have to use clench work hoping to wear down Floyd.

It almost has to be a boring fight.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random works View Post
I was hoping for 8 ounce gloves to make it maybe a little more competitive.

Conner will fight as smart as he can and will most likely have to use clench work hoping to wear down Floyd.

It almost has to be a boring fight.
They will be using 8 ounce gloves.

Sorry, it's annoying to everyone else, but a pet peeve of mine is spelling his name correctly. It's Conor. I have never seen such a simple, two syllable name, spelled incorrectly more times than his on forums.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-22-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Might want to clarify the "almost humans" line and drop it completely in your future discussions, especially face to face ones.

Given that the "fight game" has historically been predominantly made up of the culturally and racially oppressed.

Some of those groups like the Irish, Mexicans, Blacks, etc. might, if they overhear you in a bar/pub/restaurant/bus stop/etc, decide to vigorously rebut your statements, if you get my meaning...
I agree with you, Blue, that the fight game has taken advantage of making blood sport of disadvantaged people. I find it sad that it continues - especially knowing that anyone that engages in this "sport" will likely suffer permanent brain damage. And please don't tell me they have "choices". They have little more "choice" than the people I used to see at the recruiting stations, except that they make a lot more money than the people that are getting shot at.

George
Old 08-22-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
I agree with you, Blue, that the fight game has taken advantage of making blood sport of disadvantaged people. I find it sad that it continues - especially knowing that anyone that engages in this "sport" will likely suffer permanent brain damage. And please don't tell me they have "choices". They have little more "choice" than the people I used to see at the recruiting stations, except that they make a lot more money than the people that are getting shot at.
Like I said I've never paid, nor do I follow the blood sports. Well... I did pay to see Ali "fight" the Japanese wrestler Antonio Inoki as a wee child

It's just impossible to escape things like the pre-loss Rousey fights, McGregor fights, Pacquiao/Mayweather, etc. And in this case, for me at least, the world is a more interesting place if McGregor wins.

I've actually stopped watching Football because of CTE. But I'm still aware of the "big stories". I'll never follow MMA or Boxing for the same reasons. I stopped watching Boxing long before Tyson got a taste for human flesh
Old 08-22-2017, 03:20 PM

Don't understand this. It should be MMA or nothing, since mma employs boxing. I hope no one gets hurt, I have no interest.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic