Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
War gives meaning to our lives.
Speak for yourself, only.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I believe that one was removed. Good post, however.
Really? how sad. If it was mine - I'd put so much factual historical research into that, to answer the question.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 08-19-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
One thing to be very careful of is to not fall for the lies.

Everyone thinks the world is a horrific scarier place than ever.

Kids can't play outside alone.

Everyone locks and bars their doors.

No one trusts anyone and everyone is afraid all the time.

But, for America the statistics don't bear that out: all statistics show that all violent crimes are at the, per capita, lowest in American history. All violent crime. Lowest in HISTORY.

So, why do we feel like the world is coming apart?!?

Because the media sensationalizes the very rare horrors.

It's the problem of cars vs. airplanes for safety. Folks are 100X more like to suffer tragedy in a car, but folks are only afraid to fly - because of the sensational stories of mass losses (which are STILL hundreds of times lower in occurrence).

Don't cave in to the hysteria, the despair, the doom-and-gloom. It just ain't true.

Do some reading and research and prove it to yourself.

The "media" is the great evil there.
Yes, I believe you are correct - Yuval Noah Harari said much the same in his book Sapiens:A Brief History.

I get most of my news from the BBC but, I feel that even they tend to overdo
a "good bad news story".
Old 08-19-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Yes, I believe you are correct - Yuval Noah Harari said much the same in his book Sapiens:A Brief History.

I get most of my news from the BBC but, I feel that even they tend to overdo
a "good bad news story".
I do agree with what the Eagles had to say about that very topic and it was a catchy tune as well. But the "if it bleeds it leads" format still sells and whose fault is that?

My condolences to the victims.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:23 PM

Unhappy Condolences Are In Order

The Heat of Rock-N-Roll says it best :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkZC7sqImaM

Peace Above All Else - Love Is The Answer

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 08-19-2017, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG01 View Post
I do agree with what the Eagles had to say about that very topic and it was a catchy tune as well. But the "if it bleeds it leads" format still sells and whose fault is that?

My condolences to the victims.
Not familiar with the song you mention, but there have been times recently when I have deliberately avoided the hourly news reports on the BBC talk radio station that I listen to most of the day.

When the recent terrible apartment block fire in London took so many lives, it was obviously a big news item but for, maybe over two weeks solid?

Getting back to the recent attack in Barcelona, and since in Finland, , we should be told about such things, but for a limited time.

There was once a phrase about such thing : "the oxygen of publicity" because , of course, the folks who perpetrate such horrors just love to be on radio & TV.

Apparently, back between the wars, there was one night when the BBC radio news was announced "there is no news tonight" and closed.

See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39633603
Old 08-19-2017, 03:49 PM

All I can do personally is to show people a better way. Love is better than hate. Good is better than evil. I can't show this to everyone in the world, but I have an opportunity to show it to everyone in my world.

cotten
Old 08-19-2017, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
All I can do personally is to show people a better way. Love is better than hate. Good is better than evil. I can't show this to everyone in the world, but I have an opportunity to show it to everyone in my world.

cotten
Perhaps, but if someone has evil planned for you, being good isn't going to save you. Getting rid of the evil will
Old 08-19-2017, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post

cotten
Sadly love/hate and good/evil are not absolutes just points of view. Sadly differing points of view are often what causes the conflicts .. and so we are back to the "Why".
Old 08-19-2017, 04:28 PM

I would think when someone is led to the point of killing defenseless people indiscriminately, we are well past "point of view" and into the indoctrination territory.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
Perhaps, but if someone has evil planned for you, being good isn't going to save you. Getting rid of the evil will
But living life on your terms, by your standards is the only thing you can control.

90% percent life happens to you. 10% is how you react/respond. And I'll be darned if that 10% isn't what defines our success and happiness.

Speaking of Happiness, have you all seen the documentary on happiness on Netflix? I think it's called "Happy". There's a Rickshaw hauler in India featured in the first 10 minutes. He's happier than most of the folks on this board.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
Do not mistake my love for an unwillingness to defend innocents.

cotten
Old 08-19-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Sadly love/hate and good/evil are not absolutes just points of view. Sadly differing points of view are often what causes the conflicts .. and so we are back to the "Why".
Perhaps the more pertinent question is why so many people have trouble identifying evil in a definitive way. Attacking and killing innocent people is evil. There is no "differing point of view" that does not increase evil. That's the answer to "Why."

cotten
Old 08-19-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
We as humans get to experience and express a myriad of emotions that are uniquely our own, capable in degree not even found in the natural world or animal kingdom.

If "love/hate and good/evil" are mere points of absolute view and not absolutely true, why wouldn't you feel that way if you were to be harmed by any single one of these terrorist events that have been happening in our world? See, I can't accept that point of view, and yet I would respond no differently than you would. It is primal and there is nothing meaningless about it.

Furthermore, even if we cleverly answer that question to any degree we are still left with "emotion". You even express it in your comment- that it is "sad" that love/hate and good/evil are just points of view (a view that I respectfully disagree with).

Last edited by steelvibe; 08-19-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:15 PM

Talking

Quote:
Not familiar with the song you mention, but there have been times recently when I have deliberately avoided the hourly news reports on the BBC talk radio station that I listen to most of the day.

When the recent terrible apartment block fire in London took so many lives, it was obviously a big news item but for, maybe over two weeks solid?

Getting back to the recent attack in Barcelona, and since in Finland, , we should be told about such things, but for a limited time.

There was once a phrase about such thing : "the oxygen of publicity" because , of course, the folks who perpetrate such horrors just love to be on radio & TV.

Apparently, back between the wars, there was one night when the BBC radio news was announced "there is no news tonight" and closed.

See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39633603
The song is "Dirty Laundry". And I am both disgusted and at times amused with our modern media. Case in point, the way the words terrorist and terrorism are bandied about in the media, as if the intended fear is as bad or worse than any harm caused. I scan a few media sites (more often than not, briefly) for new or relevant info and move on. I don't care for it at all, but it must sell because otherwise they would stop.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic