The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-16-2017, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Sexauer P000

Well, a new-ish guitar day anyway.

For those of you following Bruce’s guitar builds you might recall a Pernambuco 000 he recently completed. I wanted to “close the loop” on the consignment and let everyone know how thrilled I am with the guitar. It is hard for me, as always perhaps, to describe tone but it is a wonderful and unique guitar. The sound is complex and musical, it is sensitive, balanced and has wonderful volume. I have read about the clarity of Pernambuco from Bruce and others and, while this guitar seems clear to me, it is definitely not a simple, metallic or harsh sort of clarity. It is still rosewood but not, well, Brazilian, IRW or whatever other species. I guess you have to hear it to understand. In terms of the sound system who knows where the Pernambuco back and 50ish year old top start, stop and interact. Bruce probably knows. I can tell you that the top tapped like a warm cymbal when we picked it out.

Bruce nailed the specs and, in particular, I love the neck. I think it helped that I was able to play a number of instruments at Bruce’s workshop and experience his different neck carves. Visually it is a work of art, functional art for sure , but art.

I would be happy to post a sound clip if I ever figure that one out but I have no effective way to record. In the mean time I would like to connect with some NOVA AGRers at some point as some of us have discussed.

Thanks Bruce and be well all!

John

Edit/Note: I tried to link to some photos from Photobucket with the insert image function but can't get them to appear...alas and I thought submitting sound clips would be the hurdle! For reference the build thread is here starting just past Bruce's Uke: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...454830&page=11

Last edited by jmat; 08-16-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

here you go John! Can't wait to play it!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 08-16-2017, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Eric! That is awesome. I look forward to a guitar pull.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

That's a great guitar. You should be pleased.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:20 PM

Very hearty congrats on your new Sexuaer. I really hope to play a guitar by Bruce at Woodstock this year.

If I recall this build correctly, I remember Bruce fiddling with the top part of the slots on the headstock to get them visually just right...Mission accomplished!!!! Looks great, sounds better I am sure!!!

Maybe I should be a guitar marketer, I like that slogan, "looks great, sounds better", remember everyone, that one is mine!
Old 08-16-2017, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
If I recall this build correctly, I remember Bruce fiddling with the top part of the slots on the headstock to get them visually just right...
Thanks all!

Tom - yes that is the one. I saw a few violin shaped things in Bruce's workshop and fiddling may have different connotations for him!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar John. Congrats...

Describing Pernambuco's contribution is difficult with words. Owning a 13-fret Pernambuco L00 by Bruce, I know exactly what you are trying to describe. The elegant balance of the supportive overtones is unlike any other tonewood that I have played.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

I know I was very happy with the sound of the OP's guitar when it was here, and that it was very much what I have learned to expect from the magic Pernambuco. That said, I have strung up several successful guitars since and each one writes a bit of new data over the memory of those before it. So I am imagining it sounds a lot like the one I strung up today, in which case it is the stuff dreams are made of. I truly hope some of you will make it to Santa Barbara next week and take some time to check out the latest Pernambuco guitar off my bench (just a couple of hours ago). You probably won't talk Jmat out of his, but my new one is unlikely to disappoint anyone. I have just 4 more sets of this phenomenal material, and doubt there'll be any more in my future once it's gone. Pictures in my nearby thread "SBAIC and Sexauer", in the unlikely event that you didn't suspect it. Thanks for posting, John.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:59 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats John! To use a phrase owned by another, looks great, probably sounds better! Never had firsthand Pernambuco experience. Sure sounds interesting (pun intended).
Old 08-17-2017, 11:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Most people are probably never going to have a "Pernambuco Guitar Experience", it is a genuinely rare wood. MUCH more so than BRW, which has a lot to do with why so few guitars have been or will be made from it. Adding to this is that it is a smaller tree, and so very few trees are big enough to make a quartersawn 2 piece back. My experience has shown me that is is more important for this material to be quartered than any other wood I've used as all but one of my (8?) flatsawn Pernambuco guitars has cracked, and only one of my (13?) quartered Pernambuco guitar has done so, and that one was mishandled (by me).
Old 08-18-2017, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Congrats John! To use a phrase owned by another, looks great, probably sounds better! Never had firsthand Pernambuco experience. Sure sounds interesting (pun intended).
Hi CF - lets get a DC area jam together in the fall. Eric and I are having a quick meet and greet next Monday. Would be fun to seek out a broader group with a bit more planning for fall assemblage somewhere. Pernambuco would be just one of the experiences!
Old 08-18-2017, 11:56 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Sent you a PM. Let's talk.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

John, it was great to play your guitars today. Can't wait till we have more time and more guitars! Wow, your Sexauer is incredible. Absolutely love it!

Bruce, you've outdone yourself on this one. Beautiful guitar!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 08-21-2017, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Eric, see what I mean about Bruce's pernambuco guitars?

John, we appear to have some similarities in our guitars: a Brondel, a Klepper and a Sexauer all with cutaways...
Old 08-21-2017, 06:03 PM

Is pernambuco commonly used for high-end violin and cello bows? I believe that PRS was promoting it as a next-best-thing wood for necks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop