The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Times have changed, but in the US there is an easier way to purchase new cars. The last 8 cars my wife and I have purchased were negotiated on line. We did our homework. We new exactly what we wanted to buy and we did research to learn what the dealer invoice price was and what rebates were given to dealerships from manufacturers. In large part you can find out what a dealer's cost is. You can also learn what dealers will accept over their cost for specific models. Of those 8 cars we negotiated on line, 2 were purchased from dealers quite far from our home, so they delivered those cars to our home. And 4 of the cars had associated trade in vehicles that were negotiated as part of the deal. Kelly Blue Book provides used car values for Retail as well as Trade-in based on the condition of the car and I've found most dealers accept the published KBB Trade-in value.

Dealers do try to get you to come to the dealership to complete the deal. All you have to say is "I'm not interested in that. This is an Internet deal." There is way too much competition for dealers NOT to accommodate buyers. My daughter and her husband live in New York City. They just purchased a VW GTI on line. They made their deal with a dealer many hours away in Maryland that delivered the car to them for a $200 delivery charge. The days of going to a showroom are long gone for many of us in the USA.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

I'm shopping for a car for our daughter now and hating every minute of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
.. there are many similar cars designed for women. ...
Whew! if you say that on this side of the "pond" I'm running for cover!

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-01-2017, 04:36 PM

I recently had to replace our ageing Mazda 5.

2 adults + 4 children + shopping/ luggage = 7 seat MPV/ People carrier.

I tried one of these car 'supermarkets'. I explained the requirements to the saleman and added that with the kids growing the Mazda 5 was no longer big enough.
I had a couple of specific vehicles in mind and asked about them.

"We get them in all the time, but not at the moment, but you might be interested in a very nice Renault".

So I had a look.

Not much use, I said " It's smaller than my Mazda 5"

"But we can knock 2 k off the price"

"But it's smaller than my present vehicle, I need something bigger"

"What car have you got now?" (I had just told him)
"Mazda 5" I said.

"Oh, I think we've got a Mazda 5 in stock"

" But I need something bigger"

"How about a Vauxhall Zafira" he asked.

"But thats even smaller than the Mazda, I had a Zafira before the Mazda".

He gave it one last go. " there's another Renault"

Haven't we been here before I thought?

I had a look. It was a 5 seat estate (station wagon). I don't know what I was expected to do with the spare child, put him on the roof or something.

I smiled, thanked him for his time and left.

It was like Monty Python's Cheese Shop sketch.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Not much use, I said " It's smaller than my Mazda 5"

"But we can knock 2 k off the price"

Sounds like the comedian who was at a shoe store and said "do you have these in a size 10?" The salesman goes in the back and comes out with a box "I don't have them in a ten but I have them in an eight"

"I didn't know the size of my foot was negotiable. Good thing while you were back there I lost my toes. Those will be perfect."

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

This is educational. When it comes to buying a car things are about the same over seas as they are here in the mid-west.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-01-2017, 05:33 PM

Sales people are human too..........

It takes both sides to have a win-win.

There are both good/bad sales people, and good/bad customers.

I live in the greater Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, very large metropolitan area, there are good dealerships, bad dealerships and a few great dealerships. To broad brush all of them in any one category is inaccurate.

I buy a new higher end car every two years, I enjoy driving. I do my homework, know a fair price, give respect and get it back or I walk. I get exemplary service from my current dealership, just saying.........

I've heard more BS in a Guitar Center than any car dealer ever, doesn't have to be cars, or real estate sales people, or pick a sales profession.

Not a big fan of negative broad brushing entire groups of "people"...........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-01-2017, 07:30 PM
G625 mistral-k

Silly,

Your experience reads like a script from a movie starring John Cleese

Old 08-01-2017, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Sales people are human too..........

It takes both sides to have a win-win.

You can't have a "win-win" with a car salesman, unless an overly generous buyer is involved... A frugal buyer will have the salesman angry, because he knows he'd better make the deal before the the buyer walks, and he'll be ISO another buyer....

There are both good/bad sales people, and good/bad customers.

I live in the greater Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, very large metropolitan area, there are good dealerships, bad dealerships and a few great dealerships. To broad brush all of them in any one category is inaccurate.

I buy a new higher end car every two years, I enjoy driving. I do my homework, know a fair price, give respect and get it back or I walk. I get exemplary service from my current dealership, just saying.........

I've heard more BS in a Guitar Center than any car dealer ever, doesn't have to be cars, or real estate sales people, or pick a sales profession.

Not a big fan of negative broad brushing entire groups of "people"...........
The problem is the buyer's lack of a genuine listed price, unlike most other merchandise in a store like say, Wal*Mart... I suspect it's a hold over from the days of horse trading? Unless the buyer is paying cash on the barrelhead, several other factors are involved, like trade in values, financing, extended warranties, etc...

I think the way to go is using an "Auto Broker, if you know exactly the brand, & model vehicle you want. All the car dealers hate them....

Don
Old 08-01-2017, 11:26 PM

There are cars designed specifically for women? I'm a woman and I've never heard that. Unless those cars are beefy muscle-cars out of Detroit, I'm offended!

Many years ago I wanted to buy a used VW bug. One man had 2 for sale, a 1967 manual transmission and a 1970 automatic. He he was adamant that I would be happier with the 1970 bug, kept pointing out the pretty yellow color, and mentioning that it was newer. I wanted the '67, specifically because it was manual. The engine was a little bigger too. He finally got exasperated and said, "What do you need a stick shift for? You're a girl! Girls like automatics!" I bought the stick shift. He was bitter about it, begrudgingly handed me the pink slip and the keys. I don't know what his problem was (though I have a few ideas). But I loved that little red VW!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 08-02-2017, 02:13 AM

Subscribed.
New outback in our future and I don't want to overpay.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
There are cars designed specifically for women?
Woman's car

Man's car

I think times have changed recently.

I did visit a dealer with my wife many years ago and he was directing all his attention on her ignorance (being a woman). However, when she started asking about service history, head gasket and pointing out a little 'overspray' and I was commenting on the colour he got a bit flustered.

We didn't buy.

YouTube
Old 08-02-2017, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

Whew! if you say that on this side of the "pond" I'm running for cover!
I don't see why. Look at the Newer Fiat 500s, the Audi A1, Peugot 108 Renault Catpur, Nissan Juke etc.

They aren't "family" cars, they are all about design.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:34 AM

You are part of the problem since you don't know what you want.

First do some homework and determine what you want. Then it is a simple matter of doing an internet search on inventories of dealers in your area. There are even sources that tell you what others paid for the product you want. Take you information into the dealership and find the one that meets your price.

When we got the Mercedes for my wife we knew which model she wanted. We ultimately found the car and the best price 100 miles away. The purpose of the salesperson was to meet the needs and the price.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

I once had a friend that had a friend that sold cars. I asked him to tell his friend to shoot me his best deal and if he can get me in and out in an hour I'll buy it, no BS. I bought it. It can be done.
I have another friend, yea two, that took all day sitting in the dealership buying a car. I'm sure he got a better deal than I did. He turned the game around on them. By the end of the day after dealing with him for so long they didn't want to waste the deal so they caved on his last offer.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-02-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefret View Post
You are part of the problem since you don't know what you want.

First do some homework and determine what you want. Then it is a simple matter of doing an internet search on inventories of dealers in your area. There are even sources that tell you what others paid for the product you want. Take you information into the dealership and find the one that meets your price.

When we got the Mercedes for my wife we knew which model she wanted. We ultimately found the car and the best price 100 miles away. The purpose of the salesperson was to meet the needs and the price.
Bingo !~!~!

If you are an uninformed buyer of any product that is not the sales people's fault.

You can buy Martin's at MSRP, MAP or street prices. How many newbies pay too much because they didn't bother to do any research?

There are vast resources for cars available; reviews, current incentives, options, regional pricing, financing/leasing offers, good trade in value calculators. all the tools you need to be a educated shopper.

People who don't know guitars well have bad experiences, pay too much, maybe get talked into what they really didn't want, then go to a forum, find out what they didn't know, get mad...........happens all the time here.

Cars and home are major expenses, the better informed you are the better the price you will negotiate, the better you'll feel about the experience, you won't settle, you'll find/get what you really want/need.

If you spend more time on a guitar forum rather than researching when it's time to buy a car, the problem is in your mirror............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic