The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-18-2017, 11:26 AM

Default Who likes wound trebles?

I acquired a Tacoma classical a couple months ago, and it came with what I'm pretty sure are Savarez 520P's. This is my first encounter with wound trebles (B & G only), and I became curious as to how many people prefer wound trebles, and what type of music you mostly play.

I'll also admit that I'm not a classical player as such, but I do love both the sound and feel of these strings, even though they're probably close to needing replacing. My guitar is a Tacoma ECR15NC, which is topped with western red cedar and with Indian rosewood back and sides.

Mark
Old 07-18-2017, 04:24 PM

I never was able to explain why the first couple that I tried sounded good and the following couple thuddish. I didn't keep track of which guitars I tried them on. It was as if the last ones were duds, but I'm not dependably certain of that. I've been avoiding them, another reason being that they're pretty thick. They did feel good to the touch.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:04 PM

Yes. I like them. I use La Bella 860.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:49 PM

I use a wound 3rd g-string because I like the brightness of it. I do not care for wound second b or 1st e strings!
Old 07-27-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthman View Post
Yes. I like them. I use La Bella 860.
Cool. I was beginning to think that maybe I was the only one who actually liked the sound and feel of them.

What type of music do you play, and what tension do you like - and why? Have you ever used Savarez 520's? If so, how do they compare? I ask because I'm close to getting a string order together and might consider the La Bella's....

Thanks,
Mark

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical