The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-30-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I have one and it is a very articulate pickup. I don't know how else to describe it other than is has excellent fidelity. I am not too enamored with the way it mounts but the advantage of the mounting system is that there is not much pickup touching the guitar top.

In terms of other soundhole pickups, I prefer the Sunrise or the Baggs M80 for different reasons (the Sunrise is the most "acoustic" and natural, but the M80 IMHO sounds more like a dual-source system with picking up both the strings and the body.

My dos centavos
davidc
Thanks, that was helpful, i think i know what youre talking about with the sound having "excellent fidelity". What about things like feedback issues and volume output?
Old 07-31-2014, 12:16 AM

Hello all,

I've been using the Magnetico AG6 for 6 months. It was installed to my Goodall RCJC and Lowden F25 temporarily. And now to my Composite OX. Also I have other magnetics - Doncan MagMic, Fishman Rare Earth Blend and B-band Maggie2. The M80 is sold, I don't like the plastic-favor sound.

The Magnetico has very low weight. I've surprised. I do not use Sunrise because of the heavy weight. But the Magnetico is the lightest magnetic ever I think.

The sound is rich, especially in bass. More powerful bass then Fishman and Doncan. And very clean and warm voice. I think finger-picker would love it. But strumming sound is boomy, so you need to EQ it.

Someone said that the AG6 mic is feedback-resistance. Pardon me, I beg to differ. Normally I set the Doncan MagMic's mic volume to 70%. But on using the Magnetico, I cannot raise the mic volume more then 30% because of the FEEDBACK PROBLEM. The AG6 mic is VERY VERY SENSITIVE. I think it's very nice to recording, but in live you need much time to set the EQ.

I like the Magentico. Rich bass and warm voice.
But I still use the MagMic often. It's more easy to make the musical voice I love.
Just apple and orange.

Jin hwan Park

Last edited by Jin-hwan; 07-31-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:20 PM

In response to your questions, mag pickups do not generally have feedback issues. Now if you try the mic with it that would be a different story.
It is an active pickup so the output is comparable to any active mag pickup.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
In response to your questions, mag pickups do not generally have feedback issues. Now if you try the mic with it that would be a different story.
It is an active pickup so the output is comparable to any active mag pickup.
Sorry I forgot to clarify that I meant the pickup AND I the condenser mic add on. For some reason I just assumed you knew that, my bad whoops
Old 08-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

I bought the pickup a couple weeks ago but I haven't had any real time to use it but for a couple jams through a small Boss personal monitor which doesn't sound very good.

That said I thought the Schertler was nicely balanced and sounded the best when I was fingerpicking.

I have it installed in my Martin OO-15m and contrary to another thread, I've always found that soundhole pickups effect the acoustic sound. Not so much w the Schertler. I very much like the way it attaches and the damping effect is extremely minimal.

I judge all pickups by my Sunrise, still the best in my experience, been using them 15 years at least but due to the one drawback, weight, I continue to sample what's new.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:59 AM

I use the Schertler AG6 with the small condenser mic in my custom OM and really like the reproduction of the acoustic sound.There certainly can be a problem with feedback if the mic is turned up too loud but it's really only there to add ambience to the magnetic output and this it does well.
I am well pleased all round with the AG6 and the design has been well thought out.I would have no reservations about recommending it to someone who wants a versatile soundhole pickup.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:12 PM

I just purchased an AG6 and it arrives today. Didn't get the mic since it seems to change the sound too much. The pickup was about $250 from Dave's Woodstock Music. Great customer service and good price.

Doug
Old 10-17-2014, 09:08 AM

Doug, please post impressions and sound clips when you've had more time to spend with it. Would love to hear how it sounds, I have become a schertler fan, I have a Lydia Eq that came in my Eastman and though it takes a little more dialing in, it's really phenomenal. An interested in the AG6 on my auditorium which I mostly fingerstyle on.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:21 PM

If anybody is interested in trying an AG6, I could sell one of mines for 150$ worldwide shipping included (from Italy). It has been slightly modified to fit a left handed guitar, so easthetics are not perfect, but it is fully functional. I am not planning to sell it in general (so it is not in classifieds), but if someone from AGF wants it...
Old 10-17-2014, 04:51 PM

I am just basing this on video demoes that I have seen online but I don't get the appeal of the Magnetico. IMO it sounds a lot like the Fishman Rare Earth pickup, which is too warm sounding. The only time that the Magnetico sounds impressive is when the mic is blended in but I could see that being a nightmare live.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:59 AM

Default Decreasing the feedback with S-mic

Just in case anybody is interested, I recently found a way to greatly improve the sound of the AG6 pickup when used together with the S-mic which provides a high quality acoustic sound with all the nuances of fingerpicking (at the cost of a greater feedback trouble).
I think this is partially because of the situation of the plugged mic, pointing to the internal bracing of the guitar soundhole and thus receiving a lot of vibrations. I used a very short 3'5" male-to-female cable and held the S-mic to it, pointing outside the soundhole as you can see in the picture. Now the acoustic strings sound is even better and the feedback is way more under control.

Ibanez AVN9-OPN
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Grestch Electromatic G5122
Cort B4FL fretless bass
Old 08-22-2017, 08:39 AM

Hi Havi,

How you overall rate Magnetico pickup sound?
Are you happy with it?

Regards,
Marek
Old 08-23-2017, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Hi Havi,

How you overall rate Magnetico pickup sound?
Are you happy with it?

Regards,
Marek
The AG6 alone is just another good magnetic pickup but together with the S-Mic is fantastic, true acoustic guitar sound

Ibanez AVN9-OPN
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Grestch Electromatic G5122
Cort B4FL fretless bass
Old 08-23-2017, 07:53 AM

For those interested in this pickup, I have one and used it in my Eastman recently (with the S-Mic condenser add-on). When playing live, it sounded lovely. Excellent, even. There was a persistent, low-level hum/buzz that could be heard from the pickup when we weren't playing, which threw the sound folks off a bit. I was playing through a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ box, so we thought that was the issue, but the noise was still there when we went straight from the guitar to the board. As I say, we played and the tone was quite natural and lovely, but the hum/buzz was something we couldn't quite isolate or eliminate.

What's also interesting, is that I don't get the noise when I plug in at home to my Fishman Loudbox Mini. I do play live quite often, so I might move on to something else... Not sure. It was a new one for me.
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 08-24-2017, 05:12 AM

So, a follow-up... Here's video of me playing a song with the Schertler pickup (and S-Mic) in my Eastman (see post just before this one). It's recorded directly from the desk, and the guitar is going through the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ. Interesting that there was an audible hum/buzz heard through the PA speakers (as mentioned before), but I don't hear anything as it was recorded through the desk.

http://sptfy.com/94Ue

Last edited by pmarino; 08-24-2017 at 05:27 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification