The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
After a week in the Washington DC area, we have moved on to a more rural setting in the Shenandoah Valley.

DC was a lot of fun - after days filled with subways, memorials and museums, it was nice to come back to the motorhome and relax... and some guitar out under the awning.

Our RV site currently...

Guitar time...

And our furry family member...

Jim... what park are you at in Shenandoah? Those sites look great. My sister lives in Charlottesville and we're planning a trip there next year (in the coach).
Old 08-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Jim... what park are you at in Shenandoah? Those sites look great. My sister lives in Charlottesville and we're planning a trip there next year (in the coach).
Country Waye RV Resort, now a KOA. We are truly enjoying this park... peaceful, but close enough to Luray (for shopping) and Shenandoah National Park (for touristing).

And, to keep this somewhat on-topic: the X7 is an intimate guitar, but it sounds just as big as any of my other guitars when plugged in. And, it is just so comfortable and convenient in the motorhome. Or on a boat. Or, in a house. Or, at a gig.

There was a thread recently about "How do you clean your CF guitar?"... it was warm when we got back to the coach today, but Joan and Izzy wanted to sit outside (in the shade). Seems I sweat where my forearm rested on the X7. A damp miracle cloth (It's a miracle!), then a wipe with a dry one, and it sparkles again.

I was playing quietly and doing what I call "whisper singing" (a technique I came up with while playing on our boat in the marina at Friday Harbor (San Juan Islands), so not to disturb the neighbors on either side). While walking Izzy later, a couple walking the other direction said, "Your singing and guitar playing is very nice!"

I thought I was being quiet. The sites here are not close together and we are in a bit of a cul-de-sac, giving us even more space than most.

Most people just comment about "walking a cat on a leash."
Old 08-12-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Country Waye RV Resort, now a KOA. We are truly enjoying this park... peaceful, but close enough to Luray (for shopping) and Shenandoah National Park (for touristing).

And, to keep this somewhat on-topic: the X7 is an intimate guitar, but it sounds just as big as any of my other guitars when plugged in. And, it is just so comfortable and convenient in the motorhome. Or on a boat. Or, in a house. Or, at a gig.

There was a thread recently about "How do you clean your CF guitar?"... it was warm when we got back to the coach today, but Joan and Izzy wanted to sit outside (in the shade). Seems I sweat where my forearm rested on the X7. A damp miracle cloth (It's a miracle!), then a wipe with a dry one, and it sparkles again.

I was playing quietly and doing what I call "whisper singing" (a technique I came up with while playing on our boat in the marina at Friday Harbor (San Juan Islands), so not to disturb the neighbors on either side). While walking Izzy later, a couple walking the other direction said, "Your singing and guitar playing is very nice!"

I thought I was being quiet. The sites here are not close together and we are in a bit of a cul-de-sac, giving us even more space than most.

Most people just comment about "walking a cat on a leash."
The X7 does look compact enough to be able to play in chairs with arms! That's nice. I can see why you would probably prefer that guitar while you're on the road.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The X7 does look compact enough to be able to play in chairs with arms! That's nice. I can see why you would probably prefer that guitar while you're on the road.
I do have a folding chair (no arms) that was recommended on the main forum here, but it isn't as comfortable as the camp chairs.

For the record, the X7 gets plenty of playing time when we're home, too. While that (being home) was less than 6 weeks last time, I rotated mostly between the X7, X20, 522ce 12-fret, and the 814ce, with the two Emeralds getting most of the attention. I have a comfortable office chair with the right arm removed in my guitar room... it sits me up with better posture than these camp chairs. ;-)
Old 08-12-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I do have a folding chair (no arms) that was recommended on the main forum here, but it isn't as comfortable as the camp chairs.

For the record, the X7 gets plenty of playing time when we're home, too. While that (being home) was less than 6 weeks last time, I rotated mostly between the X7, X20, 522ce 12-fret, and the 814ce, with the two Emeralds getting most of the attention. I have a comfortable office chair with the right arm removed in my guitar room... it sits me up with better posture than these camp chairs. ;-)
I sought out a very comfortable office chair, without arms, for my music room, and it works great.

Nice thing is that smaller guitars (like the X7 and my Eastman E10 OO-M) are small enough to comfortably play while reclined back in a recliner. These days I spend a lot more time reclined in a comfy chair than I do sitting in an office chair, no matter how nice the office chair is.

My interest in large guitars (Dreadnoughts and similarly large guitars) has dropped off a cliff. OM is the largest that I now have (in acoustics) and I find that to be an ideal "bigger" size, with the OO as my smaller size.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

I bought a GSmini years ago with the intent of that being my "boat traveling" guitar, after trading off an Ovation. It made me appreciate the comfort of a smaller guitar. The next couple guitars I bought after that were Grand Concert size. And then, the X7... smaller (doesn't sound it), and the most comfortable acoustic guitar I have ever played.

Sometimes, it is all about the right tool for the job. There is a lot of talk on the forum about a new X10, and I have no doubt that Emerald will ultimately offer that in their standard line. Unlike the X7 nosing out the X5, I think there will be room for an X7/X10/X20 lineup.

The X7 just has that quality that makes me want to pick it up and play. Although I do miss that lovely X20.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I bought a GSmini years ago with the intent of that being my "boat traveling" guitar, after trading off an Ovation. It made me appreciate the comfort of a smaller guitar. The next couple guitars I bought after that were Grand Concert size. And then, the X7... smaller (doesn't sound it), and the most comfortable acoustic guitar I have ever played.

Sometimes, it is all about the right tool for the job. There is a lot of talk on the forum about a new X10, and I have no doubt that Emerald will ultimately offer that in their standard line. Unlike the X7 nosing out the X5, I think there will be room for an X7/X10/X20 lineup.

The X7 just has that quality that makes me want to pick it up and play. Although I do miss that lovely X20.
Jim... I doubt that I will find a need for an X20, but an X10? Yes. And perhaps an X7 as well.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Now on the Blue Ridge Parkway. One place I wanted to see: the Blue Ridge Music Center...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/08...ll-stream.html

While blue grass is not what I play, I appreciate the part it plays in this country's musical mosaic. The displays in the Music Center are nicely done. There is live music daily (noon to 4:00 pm)...

And, my favorite quote of the day: "The guitar is a paradox, one of the easiest instruments to learn, but one of the most difficult to play well..."

Old 08-16-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Now on the Blue Ridge Parkway. One place I wanted to see: the Blue Ridge Music Center...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/08...ll-stream.html

While blue grass is not what I play, I appreciate the part it plays in this country's musical mosaic. The displays in the Music Center are nicely done. There is live music daily (noon to 4:00 pm)...

And, my favorite quote of the day: "The guitar is a paradox, one of the easiest instruments to learn, but one of the most difficult to play well..."

Jim... nice east coast "coach tour" that you're having. My wife and I have been talking about doing an east coast coach tour for the last two years. Perhaps next year we will make it happen.

A few years ago we did get to North Carolina and Virginia before heading toward the north mid-west. Asheville, NC really enchanted us. If you get the chance to go through there you've got to visit the Biltmore if you haven't already (and even if you have already!) Amazing tour of that incredible place.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Jim... nice east coast "coach tour" that you're having. My wife and I have been talking about doing an east coast coach tour for the last two years. Perhaps next year we will make it happen.

A few years ago we did get to North Carolina and Virginia before heading toward the north mid-west. Asheville, NC really enchanted us. If you get the chance to go through there you've got to visit the Biltmore if you haven't already (and even if you have already!) Amazing tour of that incredible place.
Interesting you should mention that - we just rolled into Asheville for the next 5 nights. We'll check out the Biltmore. There are supposed to be some good bike paths/trails, as well. Right now, we are cooling our heels (and the rest of us) in the coach - it is hot and humid here; imagine that: hot and humid in NC in August??

Some mountains on the way here today...

The X7 will get some play time this evening... probably inside in the a/c.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

NMGD...

New Mini Guitar Day. We spent some more time on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and on the way back to the motorhome, the Blonde wanted to stop at the WNC Farmers Market.

Certainly not what I've come to think of for a Farmers Market, this is a major enterprise; besides what you'd expect for produce, there were some gift items. My Honey wanted me to have a miniature version of the ES-335 I've had for 51 years now...

The 335 doesn't get played much these days, but I have a very sentimental attachment to it (hey, it fed us for years early in our marriage).

Old 08-17-2017, 10:07 PM

Gotta hand it to you Jim, I love your posts, maybe a good part of it is your lifestyle (always on the road doing fun things)
Old 08-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Default An eclipse preview...

Taken in our RV site, where we have about "98% of total" (and not having to fight crowds)...

------------------

On edit: the rest of the story...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/08...e-preview.html

Last edited by Captain Jim; 08-21-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

a bigger room!?

and maybe if you got your wife a couple more guitars she'd play!?

Not believing in humidifiers and living at 6k ft. with low humidity I keep my woodies in the cases to mitigate shock and leave the carbon out.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 08-25-2017, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Our travels have now brought us to Music City: Nashville, TN. Of course, a trip to Gruhn Guitars is an absolute necessity for this guitar guy (I think it might be a state law).

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/08...tuff-then.html

If you don't want to read the blog post, I had the opportunity to play the McPherson Sable (Kevin Michael) and the Touring...

The salesman said, "These guitars are the 'cream of the crop' of the carbon fibers'." As a guest in their shop, I didn't feel it was my place to voice a differing opinion. I played both. Very nice guitars. In a way, kinda reminiscent of the X20 and X7 in size. Would I trade either of my Emeralds for these? Not a chance.

I also looked at some nice wood guitars...

But nothing that called out to follow me home. It is a great guitar shop, with very personable staff, and a nice selection of guitars. I am not one to hang out in a guitar shop, but this was a delight.

On a serious note, Hurricane Harvey is creating havoc on the Texas Coast. The weather predictions for our home were not good as of yesterday, with high wind speed to reach 101 mph, storm surge, and heavy rain. We are about 170 miles south of where the center of the storm will make landfall.

Being a nice guy, I let a neighbor tie off his 36' catamaran to our dock while his canal is being dredged. I really thought he'd move the boat to a "hidey-hole" with these predictions. Nope. It is still tied to our dock, a great potential for damage.

For our situation, the weather weasels have revised the forecast to winds in the mid-60s as a high today. The 10:00 forecast now has them predicted to be even lower. I am definitely breathing easier.

If all goes well there, we will be out for a while, yet. If things turn worse, we will head more directly for home. So, waiting and watching in Music City. At the worst of the weather predictions last night, Joan said to me, "It is just stuff... hopefully no loss of life or injuries." Of course, she is right.

As this storm gets more defined in the center, we are fortunate to be on "the dry side." Hoping for safety for those in the path of this storm.

Jim
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber