The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-16-2017, 10:32 AM

Question Anyone with an Emerald X20 within 50-ish miles of New Haven?

I'm getting more interested in buying a CF guitar.

With an X20 as a possibility, I'm wondering if anyone who has one and lives within around 50 miles of New Haven, CT might be willing to have me visit.

I think I can find a Rainsong CH-OM at a dealer in Brookfield.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Hi. I'm right outside of Hartford and while I own a Composite Acoustics ox hg right now, I plan to pick up an X20 again ASAP. If that happens, I'll shoot you a message as you'd be more than welcome to come jam on her a bit.

I believe the guitar hanger is the closest Rainsong dealer but there may be others... There is NYC of course but then you're talking quite a bit of time and cash... I did order a Rainsong from Musicians Friend and while I did keep that guitar for quite a while, I did return another instrument after a week and that was a pretty painless process so that may be an option too as far as Rainsong goes. The guitar center in Orange can also get you in a Rainsong to try out I believe although that may take a week or two...
Old 08-16-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman001 View Post
Hi. I'm right outside of Hartford and while I own a Composite Acoustics ox hg right now, I plan to pick up an X20 again ASAP. If that happens, I'll shoot you a message as you'd be more than welcome to come jam on her a bit.

I believe the guitar hanger is the closest Rainsong dealer but there may be others... There is NYC of course but then you're talking quite a bit of time and cash... I did order a Rainsong from Musicians Friend and while I did keep that guitar for quite a while, I did return another instrument after a week and that was a pretty painless process so that may be an option too as far as Rainsong goes. The guitar center in Orange can also get you in a Rainsong to try out I believe although that may take a week or two...
Thanks for the kind offer, studioman001.

BTW, I stopped in at Guitar Hangar a few months ago when I was passing by, but only had 15 minutes to spend there (and spent more than 5 of those minutes listening to someone tell me why I should try all the other models instead of the OM-CH). Those few minutes on the OM-CH felt and sounded pretty good.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

It is approximately 2,568 miles to visit with Kramster in the Phoenix, AZ area.

I was hoping to find someone with an Emerald that I could see before ordering the first one. Didn't happen. I took a leap of faith (based on discussions here) and ordered the X7. Love it. It convinced me to jump on one of the Select Series X20s...a truly outstanding guitar.

There is currently an on-going discussion about the neck shapes (feel) of various carbon fiber offerings. You can get some idea of how some of us feel about the neck size and shape of the X20. I find it very comfortable, even though the last few previous guitars I've bought have been smaller. Love the offset soundhole! I mention this so you have some idea what to expect if you can't find an X20 to check out.

Good luck with the process. The Emerald folks have been first rate with communication and customer service; they make beautiful and great sounding guitars.

Jim
Old 08-16-2017, 04:00 PM

I bought my Rainsong P12 from Guitar Hangar. Definitely interested in checking out the Emerald... we should have a CT get together we can each try each others CF guitars. I have the P12 and an Alpaca.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
It is approximately 2,568 miles to visit with Kramster in the Phoenix, AZ area.

I was hoping to find someone with an Emerald that I could see before ordering the first one. Didn't happen. I took a leap of faith (based on discussions here) and ordered the X7. Love it. It convinced me to jump on one of the Select Series X20s...a truly outstanding guitar.

There is currently an on-going discussion about the neck shapes (feel) of various carbon fiber offerings. You can get some idea of how some of us feel about the neck size and shape of the X20. I find it very comfortable, even though the last few previous guitars I've bought have been smaller. Love the offset soundhole! I mention this so you have some idea what to expect if you can't find an X20 to check out.

Good luck with the process. The Emerald folks have been first rate with communication and customer service; they make beautiful and great sounding guitars.

Jim
Thanks Jim. Do you happen to know the scenic route? You know... the one that avoids highways? I'll have a whole weekend to make that return trip, with lots of guitar playing time in between.

I've been intrigued by Emerald guitars for some time now, and have been hoping that they would bring out a new X10 (which seems like a Goldilocks option, at least to me). I know that they can build a custom X10 (or shorter scale X20 for that matter), but I can't afford the extra $ at the moment. Also, with my hand condition (DuPutreyn's Contracture), I really need to be careful with neck profile (and I know they can match my Halcyon's neck, but there's that $ thing again).

So, hopefully I'll find someone close enough by who has an Emerald for me to sit with. Hey, Jim, you're not driving by New Haven on your way back home, are you?
Old 08-17-2017, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
Thanks Jim. Do you happen to know the scenic route? You know... the one that avoids highways? I'll have a whole weekend to make that return trip, with lots of guitar playing time in between.

I've been intrigued by Emerald guitars for some time now, and have been hoping that they would bring out a new X10 (which seems like a Goldilocks option, at least to me). I know that they can build a custom X10 (or shorter scale X20 for that matter), but I can't afford the extra $ at the moment. Also, with my hand condition (DuPutreyn's Contracture), I really need to be careful with neck profile (and I know they can match my Halcyon's neck, but there's that $ thing again).

So, hopefully I'll find someone close enough by who has an Emerald for me to sit with. Hey, Jim, you're not driving by New Haven on your way back home, are you?
Sorry, Barry, we drove through CT a couple weeks ago. The X20 is back in Texas, but I would have given you a go with the X7. We are now in North Carolina.

I sure understand being intrigued by the Emerald options. They have certainly changed many of my perceptions about what I appreciate in a guitar. I haven't played a Halcyon, so I can't offer any kind of comparison. Good luck with the search.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber