The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-07-2017, 07:17 AM

I agree with Tony, it is indeed all about what kind of sound you want out of your nylon string guitar.

My playing is strictly acoustic and 100% fingerstyle. I don't own a guitar pick or an amplifier. There might be a stray guitar pick floating around the house, but I haven't touched one in years.

So, foremost in my desire was to have my nylon string guitar sound great as-is.

Yamaha crossover's sounded dead acoustically to me. They are great plugged in, but that was not what I wanted.

The Taylors sounded & felt "overbuilt" to me. Almost like all they did was change the type of bridge and put nylon strings on their steel string bodies.

Same for the Breedlove crossovers...

I loved the sound out of the Cordoba crossovers, but my left hand hated the
1 7/8" width neck with nylon strings. My left hand felt cramped at times ( 10 lbs in a 5 lb bag.. LOL)

When I discovered the Cordoba GK series, I was in love. The sound was exactly what I was looking for. The 1.96" width neck is wide but just feels perfect to me. I've had my GK Pro for almost 2 years now and I'm still in love with it.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 08-07-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Thanks Rudy4 - that looks like a wealth of info (but the video links are boken)
Yes, unfortunately the web archive project doesn't support the active links. If you click on a link you can copy/paste the returned URL in a new window and it will get you there.

A search on Youtube will result in finding the referenced video, but it's quicker to copy / paste the link in a new window.

The videos are highly informative for anyone who is delving into crossover guitar.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:19 AM

I've had my NS42 for 10+ years and it's perfect for lead playing. I think it's a fantastic alt guitar. I'm not a true classical player, so I can't compare, but with some hard tension strings, it delivers very well. Availability locally will be tough. Your prob best off getting one on Reverb, where most seem to be congregated.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:11 AM

Something that has not been addressed that correlates to the end tone is top wood. My NS72CE is cedar and rosewood. Taylor has made the NSs both in spruce top and cedar...I am just pointing this out as I believe it is important.

Cedar/Rosewood will yield a completely different tone than...Cedar/Mahogany or other combinations. So I think throwing all of the Taylor NS into 'don't have tone' category might be a bit misleading. What tone does your ear ask for???

On the other hand I think all the Taylor NSs have 1 7/8 nut width...can't change that. If it doesn't fit, oh well.

Note that the high tension carbon strings are quite skinny. This gives a noticeable difference in spacing width (believe it or not).

D
Old 08-08-2017, 08:16 PM

Different strokes and all that.. I gig with a Taylor 414 FLTD Nylon and I just bought a 712 Nylon 12 fret. Both wildly different guitars, both a joy to play both on the couch and live. I didn't want a guitar that sounded like a classical guitar. Some crossovers do and that is fine. I love the tone, projection and versatility of my Taylors. I will say that I've played a couple of early Taylor nylons, including the NS74 that I owned, that I did not bond with.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
Different strokes and all that.. I gig with a Taylor 414 FLTD Nylon and I just bought a 712 Nylon 12 fret. Both wildly different guitars, both a joy to play both on the couch and live. I didn't want a guitar that sounded like a classical guitar. Some crossovers do and that is fine. I love the tone, projection and versatility of my Taylors. I will say that I've played a couple of early Taylor nylons, including the NS74 that I owned, that I did not bond with.
My Taylor nylon string is also a Fall Limited Edition. I think these are wonderful instruments. My primary concern in threads such as this is to set expectations that a Taylor crossover is not the same instrument as a classical guitar, but is a fine instrument in its own right. Mine is a joy to play.

This is the one I have: https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...ic/gace-n-fltd

I got it for about a third of the price shown because I bought it used, but in absolutely mint condition. It seems as if it is new old stock rather than used. The case even had all the original paperwork in it, and has that new guitar smell about it.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-08-2017, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
...My primary concern in threads such as this is to set expectations that a Taylor crossover is not the same instrument as a classical guitar, but is a fine instrument in its own right...
That's exactly what has me itching.

I do not want a classical guitar.

I want a Taylor with a little nylon-esque sound and softness of play

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 08-16-2017, 05:12 AM

Hi everyone,

I find this post very interesting.
I started playing the guitar 6 month ago on a TAYLOR GS MINI E and would like to get a nylon string/classical guitar to play :
- French variety : Gainsbourg, Brassens, etc.
- Classical music
-A bit of bossa

I found a second hand Taylor NS24e for 750€ in my area (I am in France) but was hesitating with a Cordoba guitar like the C9 crossover / C9 parlor or GK studio.

I never tried a Nylon strings guitar yet. What I like is a small body guitar ( the GS mini is perfect), maybe a narrow neck or not as wide as on a classical. The playability is very important to me.

do you have any advices ?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-29-2018, 04:33 PM

FYI... https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/prod...r-ns32ce-54158

Obviously, the description is for another guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical