The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-03-2024, 07:09 AM

Default Fretboard replacement & string convergence

I'm playing more and more seriously with the idea of working with a retired local (mostly CG) luthier to replace the fretboard on my resonator hybrid, to increase the nutwidth. Currently it's a 1.75" nut but with the slots cut for a string spread you'll also find on a 48mm nutwidth crossover. I was surprised to discover that during the short period I had a Cordoba Fusion: there was maybe a hair more space between the strings but the main difference was a much safer margin against pulling or pushing the E strings over the edge.

My reso has a "moderate vintage V" neck profile and I play her in classical position so I'm not expecting to be perturbed by a bevelled fretboard edge. I might use the occasion to increase the fretboard angle a tad so I can install a taller saddle for a bit more string tension without increasing string action.

Any tips and suggestions welcome here, of course.

My main reason for posting however is about string convergence. The string spread at the saddle feels (and looks) tight enough that I thought (before measuring!) that I could end up with the strings (almost) parallel instead of converging from saddle to nut. I can't think of any instrument on which you finger the strings to play different notes where this is the case, and wondered what it would do for playability. Would you adapt without really noticing or the opposite?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 02-03-2024, 08:57 AM

Interesting question.

I can't envision that you would be widening the nut width enough to have a great effect on the string convergence angle. Some guitars do have the combination of string center width at nut and saddle combined with scale length that results in the strings being more parallel but I've never seen any topic here where it has created a problem.

Often the problem with strings that are easily pulled over the edge is a result of fret ends that have an excessively long ramps caused by too low of an angle when they are shaped and finished. Your luthier will probably be familiar with that, having experience with classical guitars.

It sounds like a challenging project that could ultimately get you a better playing guitar.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Often the problem with strings that are easily pulled over the edge is a result of fret ends that have an excessively long ramps caused by too low of an angle when they are shaped and finished.
I can't exclude that this isn't at play at all in my case, but the strings *are* definitely very close to the edge.

And yes, the whole point is to end up with a better playing instrument It was my 1st guitar so I learned to deal with the "edge effect" from day 1 but it's always remained a challenge, more so now that I mostly play on an almost classical-width neck (50mm). Which has also allowed me to attack more challenging pieces, btw.
But everytime I pick up that reso I'm confronted with how "different but so much fun" it is (not to mention special because uncommon)!

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair