The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-27-2017, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Default Best pick for nylon?

Perhaps a strange question... For those that flat pick a classical guitar, do you use the same gauge and type as with a steel string? Does light, medium, or heavy generally work best? I'm mostly playing single string notes, not so much strumming.

Todd
Old 08-27-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Perhaps a strange question... For those that flat pick a classical guitar, do you use the same gauge and type as with a steel string? Does light, medium, or heavy generally work best? I'm mostly playing single string notes, not so much strumming.

Todd
I don't really do it all that often, but when I do I'm usually trying to work on building up some kind of hybrid picking technique. So I want something that can stay secured to my thumb. I've tried a few different thumb picks, but the one that seems the most comfortable to me is a Jim Dunlop Herco pick. I've tried a few different ones, but I think I'm liking the medium one the best. It seems to work good for just about anything. But I have tried just about all of the picks I have for steel string and they all work well enough. Maybe the best advice is to stick with one you're already comfortable with.

As a side note...I was at a Mexican restaurant a few weeks ago where a performer was playing mostly spanish/flamenco style and I took note that he was playing a Yamaha classical instrument with a Herco pick most of the time.

Last edited by MojoRisin; 08-27-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:52 AM

I play my two nylon-string "Mini" guitars with a pick occasionally, almost like a mandolin.
I use the red Dunlop "jazz" picks. They are quite rounded in profile and give a decent tone without worrying about damaging things.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:08 AM

Nylon pickers unite! I use Fender Heavy or even Extra Heavy (hard to find). I like a roundish sound, and I'm incapable of speed so that's a non-issue.

Pretty sure this was done with an Extra Heavy:

And this was probably a Heavy (in the bg and hard to hear, sorry):

http://radioactive.la/711_leaves.mp3

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 08-28-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:13 AM

duplicate -- oops

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 08-28-2017 at 09:15 AM. Reason: duplicate -- oops
Old 08-28-2017, 08:58 PM
Guest 2143

I rarely use a pick on my classical guitar, but when I do it is usually a Dunlop Delrin .46. This is lighter than what I use on my steel string. I generally play my steel string with finger picks, but when I use a flatpick, I usually use a Delrin .71 or Tortex .73.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:43 AM

I do blues and many other tunes that sound best with a pick, often looping the chords fingerstyle and adding leads or looped melodies using a pick. 1 mm picks are my favs, and sometimes a Dunlop 1.5 - the one with a dragon head printed. The latter brings out a deeper tone, hard to explain, but sounds really nice on wound strings. I use a Dunlop thumb pick for some tunes but the bare thumb works best for some tunes. Best thing to do is experiment. I put a note "tpick" on my songlist for the tunes that sound best with thumbpick. LOVE the playability and tone of my nylon string hybrid.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

I use a pick most of the time (ala Rodrigo from Rodrigo Y Gabriela). I've been playing this way for years, because I was having trouble getting the picado speed and accuracy that I wanted with fingernails. I use Dunlop Jazz III XL picks exclusively. I like the accuracy of the sharp point, and the stiffness of that pick (which results in no pick-flop lag when playing fast). I used to use D'Addario extra hard tension composites. But these days I much prefer the bright, snappy flamenco tone of the Luthier Populare Supreme 20 set. Because of their regular tension, they are much easier on my guitar necks as well.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Like a steel string, you'll get a palette of tones from different picks on a nylon string guitar. You should experiment with thin and thick picks and trust your ears. It's a fun science project.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 09-11-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post

Todd
PICK? Sacrilege, a device used by a barbarian or otherwise commercially motivated heathen. Only one exception, Willie Nelson!
Old 09-11-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolavine View Post
PICK? Sacrilege, a device used by a barbarian or otherwise commercially motivated heathen. Only one exception, Willie Nelson!
Then Grady Martin was a sacrilegious, commercially motivated heathen, and quite possibly a barbarian as well. His Devil's horns must've chafed uncomfortably under that medieval helmet.

Couch Standards
Old 09-12-2017, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisin View Post
As a side note...I was at a Mexican restaurant a few weeks ago where a performer was playing mostly spanish/flamenco style and I took note that he was playing a Yamaha classical instrument with a Herco pick most of the time.
He was not playing "Spanish/flamenco style". That would be with fingers and thumb. He was playing what I think of as "Mexican restaurant style", generally involving a mid-level, nylon stringed guitar played with either a flat pick or thumb pick. Perfectly suitable for gringo audiences. (smile)

Dave
Old 09-12-2017, 09:09 AM

I do occasionally use a pick on nylon (great for many latin styles and jazz) and I do use the same pick as I do on steel strings--but just because I got lucky and it works.

I use a D'Andrea "Pro-Plec." Nice quiet attack, no "click," which can be really bad on nylon with some materials.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

I use a Blue Chip TP60 when I play my Martins 00-18g and 00-28g. I really like the way these guitars sound with a flat pick. They are, however, the only nylon string guitars I play with picks.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:21 PM

I have never used a pick on a classical guitar. It doesn't seem right somehow as I have only used nails for the past 25 years. At least you wouldn't have to constantly care for your nails. I hate it when I break one, it throws my playing off completely until it can grow back the right length. I should try finger picks to see how they sound and feel.
1992 Paulino Bernabe M-50
2005 Breedlove C-25 Northwest Classic
1968 Taurus model 56
2005 Dan Lankford 8 Course Renaissance Lute
old German Lute Guitar
1982 Yamaha G231 II

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical