The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-12-2017, 03:08 AM

I play solo at venues holding about 50 both indoors and patio type gigs, I use a hybrid guitar, with piezo and vocals going through TC voice live play acoustic and humbuckers going through Zoom G3.
I was using a small mixer, in order to both quickly adjust volumes and also to add a porch board type stomper. Not to add fx.
This then always went FOH. Sometimes it sounded ok sometimes not. Frequently the venues had the worst speakers and simply no idea how to use them.
In order to become self sufficient I recently went through the same thought process as the OP seems to be going through. After much research I ended up going with the aforementioned Yamaha Dbr10 and leaving out the mixer all together. So far so good, I have it on a stand behind me and slightly to the side, no issue with feed back, plenty of coverage and a cinch to set up. The speaker comes with a low end filter and two input mixer built in, hard to beat for the price.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-28-2017 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 10-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Really?

What you actually said was, and I quote:

"I'm not familiar with the TC Helicon unit, but I know a lot of folks have them and use them... I would also add that, of all the "Help! My PA sounds horrible"-type threads that I read on these pages, nearly ALL of them involve some iteration of that TC Helicon unit"

It's hard to interpret the above as any sort of comment regarding the set up of the TC Helicon Play Acoustic in the signal chain.
Andy;

Honestly, I have no axe to grind about the TC Helicon units. I am assuming they are GOOD, SOLID pieces of gear, just based on what many friends and acquaintances say about them. What I'm trying to say is that some folks seem to have a tough time having them in the signal chain without dealing with some issue that I'm guessing is a gain staging problem of some sort.

If you use one of these and have great success with it, I'm happy for you. Having gear that we love and that works for us is something that every performer wants and needs.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-13-2017, 04:51 AM

Hi Guys,
I really appreciate all your input. Looks like my best option on the lower price end would be the Yamaha DBR 10 and my best option on the upper end would be the Bose L1C. I may go for 2 x DBR 10 for some flexibility.

I will go where I can do some trials. I will let my ears tell me which is the best option for me.

Really, thanks for helping me narrow this down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification