The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanks to everyone for their input. I ended up getting lucky. After using a hairdryer to remove the pickguard, there was very little residue left on the guitar. What did remain came off with saliva as a solvent. Only the faintest hint of a tanline is all that remains to show there was ever a pick guard there to begin with.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:25 PM

Default Wd-40

I use WD-40. Spray it into a cotton ball,rub it on and let it sit for a bit. Clean up with alcohol.
Tim
Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPanther View Post
Wade notice that Ronson was made in Canada. Just like the Brasso of old, that the ammonia was taken out. Just not as good anymore because of US regulations.
Dan
Dan, Larry and everybody else: the picture of a bottle of Ronsonol lighter fluid that I posted is not a photo of a bottle I have laying around the house - it's an image I nabbed off the web. We don't get Canadian products with bilingual labels in Alaskan stores, we get the same stuff that's sold in Seattle and LA and most other places in the western United States.

So it's not like I grabbed my own personal bottle of Rosonol (which I keep under my pillow because it's very dear to me) and took a picture of it. I just looked for an image of the familiar blue and yellow bottle online and snagged one.

Herringbone - using WD-40 on musical instruments might be okay if they're made out of brass, but it's never a good idea on a wooden instrument, especially not an acoustic instrument. There are all sorts of chemical additives in WD-40 that can react badly with guitar finishes, and if applied often enough and heavily enough, with the wood itself.

It's a cumulative sort of thing. You can go years without noticing any adverse effects, but it's not a good idea to use it on your guitar.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-10-2013, 10:30 PM

So use Coleman "white gas". Very similar only different refining process. You'll get the same results. Afterwards you may have to wipe down to remove any residue.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
...it's not like I grabbed my own personal bottle of Rosonol (which I keep under my pillow because it's very dear to me) and took a picture of it.
I'm smiling Wade...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Perennially Maladroit

Ironically, I've had some Sonoma County sauvignon blancs that resembled lighter fluid—but overall, most were pretty darn good.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM

"Hydrotreated Light Naptha"... is that chemist-speak for "watered down"?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion