The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2014, 11:50 AM

Default Ugghh. New (used) Taylor - Arrives in a gig bag

The DN4 arrived and I really, really like it. The Guitar Center Used site said in the description that the item includes a case.

I guess it does, technically, a tan Taylor gig bag. What would you do?

The bag is nice but I prefer the Taylor HS cases.

Last edited by Beat Up G; 07-25-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Guest 213

Yeah, I'd be disappointed too, especially since the guitar came standard with a hardshell case when new. First, I'd call Guitar Center and discuss with them. If they won't help you out, then I supposed you could find a case on eBay or Craigslist.

Having said that, if the ad literally said it came with a "case," that is a very poorly worded ad. I've never heard a gig bag referred to as a "case."

Last edited by Guest 213; 07-25-2014 at 12:39 PM. Reason: stray character
Old 07-25-2014, 11:58 AM

Would seem you have three choices:
1) Return it to GC for a refund.
2) Negotiate a hard case (likelyhood very low).
3) Deal with it and mark it up to future reference to look for 'hard case' in the description to set your expectations. (Dealing with it, might mean getting a hard case for it as well.)

I never considered the stitched cases to be 'hard cases' but manufactures seem to think they are. To me a hard case is a molded case, but to the point you made about being technically accurate; it doesn't have to be molded to be hard.

We live and learn... Ya like the new guitar? Got pics???

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 07-25-2014, 12:02 PM

GC probably bought it from the private seller with the gig bag. Contact them to let them know you're disappointed and see what they say.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
Would seem you have three choices:
1) Return it to GC for a refund.
2) Negotiate a hard case (likelyhood very low).
3) Deal with it and mark it up to future reference to look for 'hard case' in the description to set your expectations. (Dealing with it, might mean getting a hard case for it as well.)

I never considered the stitched cases to be 'hard cases' but manufactures seem to think they are. To me a hard case is a molded case, but to the point you made about being technically accurate; it doesn't have to be molded to be hard.

We live and learn... Ya like the new guitar? Got pics???
No pics for awhile--I just unpacked it during lunch and had to get back to work. I played it for maybe 45 minutes. just a fantastic sounding DN4. I asked the Rep if it came with the Taylor OHSC--and he said yep. The store (in Los Angeles) did take 10% off since they've had the guitar since May. I wasn't sure if these came with cases new because I see a lot of DNs selling with aftermarket cases.

I'm leaning towards the other poster's suspicion that the original owner brought it in with a gig bag.

The guitar did come as described, it has one .5" worming ding by the bridge. Otherwise LN.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Get a copy of the ad that says "case"

Explain to them their mistake. Send the gigbag to them and have them ship you a case.

The GC's I frequent have piles of used hard cases around.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 07-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Up G View Post
No pics for awhile--I just unpacked it during lunch and had to get back to work. I played it for maybe 45 minutes. just a fantastic sounding DN4. I asked the Rep if it came with the Taylor OHSC--and he said yep. The store (in Los Angeles) did take 10% off since they've had the guitar since May. I wasn't sure if these came with cases new because I see a lot of DNs selling with aftermarket cases.

I'm leaning towards the other poster's suspicion that the original owner brought it in with a gig bag.

The guitar did come as described, it has one .5" worming ding by the bridge. Otherwise LN.
So, based on what the rep told you, it did not come as promised. No OHSC. They need to make that right with you--either by sending you one or taking off the price they would sell one for used.

Glad you're liking the guitar!
Old 07-25-2014, 12:53 PM

Default GC needs to pony up

I tried the DN3 and it's a sleeper. Great guitar.

If the description said "case" they need to supply a case. A gig bag is not a case. Bait and switch tactics, IMHO.

A gig bag may be ok for a mini or something like that, but a full size all solid wood guitar needs more than a case.

I would tell them you'll return the gig bag to the closest store ( where are you located? ) and pick up the case. They can handle the transfer paperwork internally. If no, tell them you're going to return the guitar. It's worth more then the diffence for them to get the right case to you. The proper Taylor case, not a knock off.

If that doesn't work, leave feedback on the corporate site. Trust me, they do read that and you'll get an email from corporate.

Not cool. Slimy. Which store did that?

Last edited by M19; 07-25-2014 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Darn you, Autocorrect!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:04 PM

I've been involved with the buying of six Taylors, from three different GCs, and every single time, I've had to "remind" them that a Taylor comes with the case, free of charge. The first couple of times, I thought it was just lack of communication, since they tried to charge $100 for one...after that, I just figured, Buyer beware...
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 07-25-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Get a copy of the ad that says "case"

Explain to them their mistake. Send the gigbag to them and have them ship you a case.

The GC's I frequent have piles of used hard cases around.
The ad is long gone. I bought it on Monday from the the Northridge store.

I couldn't testify in court that I said "the-original-Taylor-hard-shell-case" or simply "original Taylor case".

I will contact the store and see what they say. If I have to ship the bag back to L.A., I might just try to trade up locally. I've heard some prefer these bags. ??
Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM

Default HSC switch

A bag is not a case. Taylor ships them in a HSC, not a bag.

The store is trying to swap it out and make extra margin by supplying you the bag, which is cheaper than a HSC. Then they have a new case to sell for extra margin on top of that.

Again, contact the store first, but if they won't work with you use the feedback on the corporate page. They do read that and you will get a reply from them.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Up G View Post
The ad is long gone. I bought it on Monday from the the Northridge store.

I couldn't testify in court that I said "the-original-Taylor-hard-shell-case" or simply "original Taylor case".

I will contact the store and see what they say. If I have to ship the bag back to L.A., I might just try to trade up locally. I've heard some prefer these bags. ??

I'd say just contact GC - In my experience, they are much more accommodating than is let on in this thread. I'm sure they'll make it right with you. It may just be because I'm such a frequent buyer/customer at my local GC now, but they're friendly enough to me now where they've even given me free gig bags with guitars. I'm sure if this happened to me they'd fix it. Yours may be different, they all are. But give it a shot.
MIJ Vintage Squier
Hofner Ignition Series Bass
Takamine G-Series Acoustic Guitar
Fender CD160 Twelve String
Fender CD220 Acoustic Guitar
Old 07-25-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
GC probably bought it from the private seller with the gig bag. Contact them to let them know you're disappointed and see what they say.
+1.

Do you think the price reflected just the guitar without the Taylor hard shell case?
Old 07-25-2014, 03:56 PM

First, everybody makes mistakes. The mark of a man, or business in this case, is what is done to correct the mistake.
Second, clearly tell GC what you want them to do to correct the error(case, money, return or whatever, but pick one!)Deal with the manager immediately if the salesperson shows any resistance.
Third, kindly remind them that literally thousands of AGF members are following the resolution of the issue and there is an open thread concerning the matter.
Finally, if you get no satisfaction at the local level, write or email GC headquarters and repeat the above.

As others have said, GC has plenty of cases laying about and I'm sure it is worth the few dollars it may cost them to retain their goodwill in a situation like this.

We're watching. . . . Oh, and my legal bill is in the mail!
John
Old 07-25-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
this is most likely what happened.

72 000-18

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion