The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2014, 08:09 AM

Default Hand creams and playing guitar

Due to a reaction I'm having to a medicine I'm taking I have broken out in a rash on my arms, hands, back, chest, head and legs. Associated with this rash was a fever and now that the worst of it is over I find myself peeling kinda like I've had a bad sunburn. The worst places are my forearms amd hands. The skin is very dry, itchy and peeling off in sheets. MY hands are very sore where they have peeled into the "quick" and look terrible. I have not played music due to this in nearly 2 weeks and I am using Cortizone-10 creams, anti-itch cream, Vitimin E Oil, and other hand lotions. I've been in contact with my Doctors at M D Anderson Hospital, and will be there next week for my bi-monthly scans and tests (kidney cancer), who have told me that this is a typical reaction to this specific drug and it could take a couple of month to get my hands back to normal. My question is, when I do get back to playing my guitar(s) should I be worried about the hand creams ruining their finish? What type of hand creams, if any, do ya'll use. As I type this I'm wearing rubber gloves (per the doctor's recomendation) just to help my hands sweat and build up moisture. Any help, suggestions would be appreicated.

NELA
Old 04-19-2014, 08:40 AM

The only moisturizer I'll put on my hands is raw coconut oil. It's is quickly absorbed and won't leave any residue.

I use it very infrequently, so I can't really say how more frequent use might affect the guitar. I highly doubt it would do anything to the finish or the wood.

EDIT: This isn't a liquid when you buy it. It's a solid...in a jar. But melts into a great oil as soon as you touch it.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:23 AM

There are a lot of hand lotions out there that continue to moisturize through several hand washings. One of my favorites is Jergens Ultra Healing lotion. If you put it on before you go to bed it has hours to work while you sleep. I use hand lotion on a pretty regular basis, but I usually do wash my hands before playing. I'm sure there have been times when I haven't and perhaps have used lotion some time before. It's never been a problem. Hope you heal quickly and feel better soon.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 04-21-2014, 12:49 AM

http://www.guitarhands.com/
Old 04-21-2014, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Second that! I got it in a gift basket after playing a guitar festival last fall in TN, and I've been hooked ever since.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:26 AM

Sorry to hear about your condition OP.

I live in a place that is terribly dry for 6 months of the year, and to protect my hands, I use a hemp (!) based hand creme, but I always put it on at least AN HOUR before playing my guitar to ensure that most of the oils etc. have been absorbed by my skin first.

Basically if my fingers still feel slippery and oily then I will hold off playing guitar or else give them a wipe down with a cloth first to remove any surface oil before touching a guitar.

Not sure about the creme on your arms etc. that will be touching the guitar body. Might be prudent to drape a tea towel or something at the points your arm contacts the guitar. Just to ensure that the medications or and glycerine in the ointments don't react with the finish.
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:40 PM

I never play with cream or lotion on my hands. In fact, I wash prior to playing. However, play to your heart's content - then wipe your guitar down as should be done after playing anytime.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
The only moisturizer I'll put on my hands is raw coconut oil. It's is quickly absorbed and won't leave any residue.

I use it very infrequently, so I can't really say how more frequent use might affect the guitar. I highly doubt it would do anything to the finish or the wood.

EDIT: This isn't a liquid when you buy it. It's a solid...in a jar. But melts into a great oil as soon as you touch it.

That stuff is tasty. I cook with it quite a bit.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:48 PM

Could try out auqaphilic. I've used this stuff for a couple decades. It can be found at walmart and is sold in a 1lb jar. My local stores usually have it nearer the pharmacy rather than the lotion isle as it's used as a mixing compound. A little goes a long way and doesn't leave you with greasy hands.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:05 PM

Cornhuskers,

H
Old 04-22-2014, 10:29 PM

If you have a poly finish such as Taylor uses, and many other guitar makers, the lotion will not stain it, and it can be wiped off the finish with no problem. Lacquer finish such as Martin and Gibson....any lotion will not be good for the finish. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:44 AM

Lightbulb

I use Eucerin Calming cream, what is great about it is that it totally absorbs in your skin, and it hydrates well, best I have ever used.

Snark Tuner
Old 04-23-2014, 10:01 AM

Just got home from M D Anderson Hospital (3 month check-up) and it was the first time my doctors saw my hand condition ( I had sent photo's, previously) They are saying this is a reaction to the oral meds ant it is typical of CHEMO burns. I was told to stop my meds for the next 2 weeks to allow my system to heal. In the meantime to keep plenty of creams and lotion on my hands. My hands continue to peel, even the tough skin on my palms and fingers - and I do have a working mans hands, calluses and all. The skin around my finger nails is beginning to turn loose as well as on the finger tips. I can feel the skin ( whats left) on my fingers loosing it's moisture and drawing up so it's just a matter of time before it all comes off. Not something I'm looking forward too.

Nela
Old 04-23-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
Cornhuskers,

H
Me too. Cornhuskers lubricates well, but dries quickly and leaves a nice grippiness on my hands. When my hands are dry, I have no grip at all.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 04-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Another happy Guitar Hands customer. Great stuff, effective, easy to use.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion