The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
Maybe Sungha doesn't want "to get there yet".

Not every musician has a goal of putting on a "show" like TE. Many are perfectly happy composing, performing, and/or recording spectacular music...whether that's to an audience or 0, 50, or 2000.
Not living in his head I couldn't guess what he wants.

He's a great player as you've said, rightly so. But the guys right, he's shouldn't be compared to TE, as again, you stated earlier. The other guy was stating it from a performing guitarist aspect, that Sungha couldn't do what Tommy does and he couldn't be more right.

I would disagree that any of us would consider playing for an audience of 0 to be as big a rush as playing for 2000. We're all exhibitionists of some or another degree.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Guest 213

I think it's a shame this is being discussed as a he vs him. Thank goodness no two players are carbon copies of each other. I enjoy both Tommy and Sungha's music. Tommy thinks a lot of Sungha and vice versa. I don't think they're competing with each other at all.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:21 PM

but would you really want to sit and watch sungha fo 3 hours.....
Old 04-18-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
Maybe Sungha doesn't want "to get there yet".

Not every musician has a goal of putting on a "show" like TE. Many are perfectly happy composing, performing, and/or recording spectacular music...whether that's to an audience or 0, 50, or 2000.
You are probably quite right. I have no idea what Sungha's musical goals are.

I personally am just a bedroom player, and will be for the rest of my life. I play for an audience of one, and that is myself.

I know that Sungha has toured with the likes of Trace Bundy and others, and actually played in halls with thousands of people as a guest artist. Now that he is cutting albums and composing his own tunes rather than covers, one would think that the best way of promoting and exposing a wider audience to his music would be to tour and perform in front of crowds.

Sticking to the 'young prodigy on Youtube' gets him 'x' number of people as an audience, but ad revenue from YT is pretty minimal compared to what he could make from touring and promoting album sales. Especially once the 'young gun' aura wears off and he is a 30 or 40 year old needing to feed his family and pay for his retirement.

Perhaps he has other plans - who knows. I was just highlighting that he probably needs to work on other aspects of his career if that is going to be his chosen life profession.
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:15 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlott00 View Post
but would you really want to sit and watch sungha fo 3 hours.....
Honestly, I would go crazy sitting and watching anyone for 3 hours

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion