The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 PM

Default New String Night - Monel content

So I've got a busy week of of playing ahead, and I figured I'd change strings on my d18 and Breedlove OM/SM tonight. I normally play Martin SP phosphor bronze mediums on the D18 and D'Adarrio EJ16s on my OM.

Time to try something new.

So I'm trying DR Sunbeam mediums on the D18 and Martin Retro (Monels) on my OM. I tried the medium Tony Rice Monels on my D18 and liked them ok, but they seemed to lose something when playing plugged in. I wanted to see what they sounded like on a smaller body.

I'm quite surprised so far. They sound rely nice on the Breedlove OM. I was afraid I'd lose some volume but it didn't. Very warm, very woody. The cool thing about the Monels is that they seem to settle in really quick, unlike PBs, which seem harsh to me to first. (The sunbeams are certainly holding true to that).

So we'll see! Just figured I'd throw out my little experiment to you all.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:26 PM

Thanks for report. Lately, I appreciate any info about strings. I have been on a string quest for several months now.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 AM

Update: I'm liking the Monels on the Breedlove. Very nice on that particular model. However, I've already replaced the DR Sunbeams on my d18. They just didn't have the tone and feel I'm used to with Martin SP phosphor Bronze. I tried to like them, but I just don't. Just not the strong for me.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:51 AM

Default Thanks for your follow-up post

Thanks, treenewt.... appreciate the follow-up....
Old 04-19-2014, 08:32 AM

I liked the retro monels a lot for fingerpicking, but for strumming I think their some of the worst strings I've tried. I can't explain it, it's like they have some sort of weird overtone that just doesn't sound good strummed at all. IMO of course

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion