The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-20-2014, 05:35 AM

As Gen. Phil Sheridan pointed out "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell"
Old 08-20-2014, 05:42 AM

When you're in the state that brought the world Bluegrass and Bourbon, pride just seems kinda natural.....
Old 08-20-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
As a person that has lived overseas for a few years and travelled a lot I must say that most Americans I have observed are a pretty patriotic bunch particulary compared with us more 'laid-back' Aussies.
I remember when a work mate told me about his experience when he flew from England to the USA with a US based airline. As the flight was nearing completion the captain announced, "We are now entering US airspace." The plane was then filled with 'whoops' and 'yee-hars' from all the Americans. Fun. I get it but it just wouldn't happen flying back into Australia. You don`t see houses down here flying the flag either, heck, half of us would love to see our flag changed anyway! I remember when Canada changed theirs.
I should add, when President Obama visited Australia in 2011 he recieved a full-on 'rockstar' reception but Australians had never seen such security. Entire freeways were closed off for the convoy of US imported vehicles. (They wouldn't use our cars) By contrast, I`ve actually driven next to an Australian Prime Minister (Malcolm Fraser in a new SAAB)) on a normal suburban road, absolutely no security except his wife's heavy handbag!
I believe there is a correlation. Heavy display of pride and the need for lots of security go hand in hand.

max
Old 08-20-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYDeadhead View Post
When you're in the state that brought the world Bluegrass and Bourbon, pride just seems kinda natural.....
Didn't that state also bring us the Beverly Hillbillies?
Old 08-20-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
As a person that has lived overseas for a few years and travelled a lot I must say that most Americans I have observed are a pretty patriotic bunch particulary compared with us more 'laid-back' Aussies.
I remember when a work mate told me about his experience when he flew from England to the USA with a US based airline. As the flight was nearing completion the captain announced, "We are now entering US airspace." The plane was then filled with 'whoops' and 'yee-hars' from all the Americans. Fun. I get it but it just wouldn't happen flying back into Australia. You don`t see houses down here flying the flag either, heck, half of us would love to see our flag changed anyway! I remember when Canada changed theirs.
I should add, when President Obama visited Australia in 2011 he recieved a full-on 'rockstar' reception but Australians had never seen such security. Entire freeways were closed off for the convoy of US imported vehicles. (They wouldn't use our cars) By contrast, I`ve actually driven next to an Australian Prime Minister (Malcolm Fraser in a new SAAB)) on a normal suburban road, absolutely no security except his wife's heavy handbag!
I know some people are just super proud of where they live, and that's all well and good. I'm not one of those people who think that my state OR country is the absolute best. I know enough about the world that I'm pretty sure there's always someplace better.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:23 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker36 View Post
Pretty sure Hollywood is in CA
Old 08-20-2014, 06:33 AM

I live in Massachusetts and I love it here. Don't care what anybody else thinks.

Jack
Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Pretty sure Hollywood is in CA
Uh huh....but Jethro and Jed originated in KY. Where else would you get named that?
Old 08-20-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Uh huh....but Jethro and Jed originated in KY. Where else would you get named that?
Don't you mean Max and Buddy ?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
I'm pretty sure KY, TN, WV have plenty a LOT more Jeds and Jethros than they do Max and Buddy. Wait: Maybe they have plenty of people named Buddy too
Old 08-20-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Amen brother!

What can you say? Kentucky's entire economy is based on smoking, drinking and gambling!...and when I say smoking, the largest cash crop ain't tobacco!

It is the land of fast women and pretty horses...and Bill Monroe.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Hey stop raining on the parade, Riker is flowing with the story line even though he is probably not old enough to remember how many of us teen age boys were more focused on Elly May than Jed or Jethro

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-20-2014, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure KY, TN, WV have plenty a LOT more Jeds and Jethros than they do Max and Buddy. Wait: Maybe they have plenty of people named Buddy too
Ya but lets face it Texas is the capitol of Bubba

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-20-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
They never say what state they are from on the show. They go back to visit "Bugtussle", but the real Bugtussle is in Oklahoma...not many mountains there.
The creator of the show is from Missouri, so the mountains could be the Ozarks.

I thought for sure they were from TN, but I checked Wikipedia and it stated the above.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
As Gen. Phil Sheridan pointed out "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell"
Good one!...I'll have to commit that quote to the memory banks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic