The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Humanist

You guys are missing the boat.

For a buck-fifty you can get an enormous, top quality, all beef polish sausage (or hot dog) at Costco...and that includes a refillable soft drink.

Here in Oregon you don't even pay sales tax on that...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-14-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Not really ew, my thang is GREASE & SALT! btw, I'm 64 years old, eat pretty much what I want, including fast food of course, and I'm in perfect health and take no meds for anything. All this BS about high fat and cholesterol causing heart disease has been debunked as outright baloney. Uh oh, look out, here comes Chicago Sandy!
Hey, I don’t do carbs at present (though I do eat fats other than trans fat), but if I did I would eat a double jalapeño cheeseburger IF it came on a decent bun (brioche, kaiser, wholegrain--anything but that piece of Mickey D’s styrofoam), were made out of really good beef (Angus, prime, wagyu, etc), fresh jalapeños and actual white cheddar cheese. “Pasteurized process?” Tastes like floor tile, and has about the same nutritional value.

Mickey D's burger won’t kill you. It may not even hurt you (unless you are prone to reflux). But if you have a limit to how much money you can spend and how many calories you can eat in a day, why waste either on that?

'Scuse me while I fire up the grill, pull a good burger patty out of the freezer and slice up some Vidalia onions, a homegrown tomato, real white cheddar (I recommend Prairie Breeze or the English equivalent), and a jalapeño. Bun? I don’t need no steenkeeng BUN!

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I feel that I'm very lucky too Jon.
That can't be . . it's NEVER about genetics.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Not really BS far as my research (care to share any credible info) ? My guess is you are good health because either you have really good genes, exercise aerobically regularly or both.
Actually, many cardiologists and nutritionists ARE questioning the conventional wisdom about a correlation between dietary sat fat/cholesterol and serum cholesterol. Not all serum cholesterol is created equal either--high HDL is good, and even LDL isn’t as bad if the particle size is large. But refined and simple (sugar, starch) carbs can increase both triglycerides (bad) and small-particle LDL/VLDL.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Actually, many cardiologists and nutritionists ARE questioning the conventional wisdom about a correlation between dietary sat fat/cholesterol and serum cholesterol.
Given my diet and that my TOTAL cholesterol is routinely 95-100, I'd say they need to question it.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:50 PM

In all reality guys, I do seriously abide by one dietary rule for myself: ZERO sugar. I pretty much eat all the fat, grease and salt I want, but I draw the line at sugar. I'm no dietary/health expert, but I do read up a little on the subject, and I seem to find one underlying theme in most literature related to this topic, and that theme is that sugar is pretty bad for you in general, and may indeed be a cancer magnet. It was tough at first to get over the hump of "no sugar," but after a few months several years ago, I got over it.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Hey Wadcutter - I'd seen these and thought I might try it sometime. Based off your enthusiasm and the fact it was time to eat, I dropped in today and tried one. Pretty good!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:00 PM

I can do better making my own burgers, thank you. They're cheaper and they taste better too... and I can fix them the way I like them. Can't do that at McDonald's, unless you want to wait an extra 15-20 minutes (which is absurd, since it only takes me about 5 minutes to cook a burger).
Old 08-14-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Hey Wadcutter - I'd seen these and thought I might try it sometime. Based off your enthusiasm and the fact it was time to eat, I dropped in today and tried one. Pretty good!
Glad you enjoyed it Growler. I really like the crunchy jalapeños they put in them. I'm going back for another one tomorrow!
Old 08-15-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachi View Post
Does the actual burger that you buy look anything like that picture???
If it tastes good, it doesn’t matter if it looks like the photograph.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:33 PM

My problem with most hamburger buns is that they are much too sweet; they make me feel like I’m eating a hamburger between two slices of pound cake.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
In all reality guys, I do seriously abide by one dietary rule for myself: ZERO sugar. I pretty much eat all the fat, grease and salt I want, but I draw the line at sugar. I'm no dietary/health expert, but I do read up a little on the subject, and I seem to find one underlying theme in most literature related to this topic, and that theme is that sugar is pretty bad for you in general, and may indeed be a cancer magnet. It was tough at first to get over the hump of "no sugar," but after a few months several years ago, I got over it.
Sugar is really the #1 worst thing for one's health, so if you can follow that, you are doing well! I have been telling people that for years, but there's always some that respond 'oh, you need a little sugar'. Um, NO you really don't.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:42 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker36 View Post
Sugar is really the #1 worst thing for one's health, so if you can follow that, you are doing well! I have been telling people that for years, but there's always some that respond 'oh, you need a little sugar'. Um, NO you really don't.
Then I guess you'd better not scarf down too many more of the burgers in question, as they have 6g of sugar each

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnu...itionfacts.pdf
Old 08-16-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Then I guess you'd better not scarf down too many more of the burgers in question, as they have 6g of sugar each

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnu...itionfacts.pdf
True GC, my main sugar avoidance so to speak however is mostly the glaringly obvious stuff like donuts, ice cream, cakes, pastry, candy and stuff like that.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
And don't forget to avoid fruits.

http://www.sugarstacks.com/fruits.htm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic