The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-10-2014, 06:33 PM

My thoughts go out to Kevin Ward Jr's. family and friends. What a tragedy on what should have been an awesome Saturday night.

My next thought is with Tony Stewart. I hope there was no malice involved in what I perceived to be a terrible accident. Only Tony knows his intent.

There was a car under Tony when he took Kevin up the track. It's dirt and happens all the time.

During caution, the car in front of Tony Stewart swerved left to avoid hitting Kevin Ward Jr.

We know the rest.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlueEMT View Post
Only Tony knows his intent.
And either way, I'm sure he feels TERRIBLE about it now.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:47 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlueEMT View Post
My thoughts go out to Kevin Ward Jr's. family and friends. What a tragedy on what should have been an awesome Saturday night.
+1 prayers to Kevin Ward Jr's family

There is quite a bit of supposition, conjecture, questioning of intent and formed opinion so far. So thanks to technology, we quickly become the public judge and jury for all that is put on the internet buffet.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:57 PM

As I said, I don't follow NASCAR, but I'm well aware of Tony Stewart's reputation. I think what happened could have happened to any driver in that car. The party responsible was the young man who got out of his car and walked down the track, into oncoming cars.

As far as the move that put the deceased into the wall, it's called pinching and it happens a couple dozen times in every sprint car show, without the drivers getting flagged. It's not uncommon to see a 25 lap feature go under caution 10 or more times. If you've never spent a single night at a sprint car race, you probably don't get it and never will.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 08-10-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
And either way, I'm sure he feels TERRIBLE about it now.
Or so he says.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:07 PM

If he were a ball player, he would get a 2 game suspension and be back on the track. Just looks funny that they had words prior to the race, they wrecked together and the tragedy happened together. No doubt in my mind Tonys temper got the best of him, but I'm sure the intention wasn't to take his life. I also agree with the statement about the drivers ability to control the car within tight quarters. So unfortunate, life is more important than racing imo
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 08-10-2014, 07:09 PM

One lesson is don't cultivate a "bad boy" image for yourself lest something bad happens and the public takes you up on it.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:14 PM

This was not a NASCAR race, nor a NASCAR track, so there were no million dollar lighting systems. Rather it's standard fair grounds lighting and visibility was limited.

Under caution, the cars bunch up, so visibility is limited. The driver in front of Tony swerved, and only then would the driver-turned-pedestrian out of his car have become visible.

This being a dirt track, there is a lot of dust in the air after only a few laps. So goggles/face shields are dirty and visibility is limited.

All dirt cars are made to turn left, and to do so by what is now called drifting. Basically, you turn left and gas it, causing the rear of the car to slide to the right. Unfortunately in this case, there was a person to the right of the car.

So those are the reasons why I hope this proves to be a freak accident. I have my eyes wide open and recognize the fact that he could have been trying to intimidate the kid and it went horribly wrong.

Tony has had a tumultuous past, but most of those demons appeared to be behind him. He has done much in the way of charities over the past several years, and also in helping other drivers, and promoting motorsports in general.

I want to believe the best, but am prepared for the worst.
Gary
Old 08-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Musical minimalist

[QUOTE]=Steve DeRosa;4078748] this kid broke the #1 rule: unless you're on fire (or about to be), stay in your car until safety personnel can get you off the track;[QUOTE]

After watching the video I fully agree with this - the last thing Stewart was expecting was someone standing in the middle of the track near the turn.

He probably had no time at all to react.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
This entire "hot head" deal in NASCAR is out of control if you ask me.
This was not a NASCAR race.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:10 PM

Tony prolly had no idea he wrecked him into the outside wall... Or did he? If there is a wreck in the wall, during caution staying low would be a good idea.

Running down to give tony a piece of his mind wasn't wise. Neither is goosing the throttle around the car you just got into a wreck with.... Especially if visibility is poor
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 08-10-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
this kid broke the #1 rule: unless you're on fire (or about to be), stay in your car until safety personnel can get you off the track;
Indeed.

I'm the starter for three professional open wheel racing series and have been a starter since 1993...a professional starter since 1996. Before that I worked in flagging and communications with SCCA for ten years, and before that I drove in both road racing and dirt tracks (though not particularly well...).

Drivers are ALWAYS told to stay in the car after an accident when they are on a hot track or until someone can get to them, barring fire. In the car they are still belted in and have the cars roll cage around them. The driver who was killed broke a cardinal rule of safety by getting out on a hot track...a dirt track, no less, where cars are steered mostly by throttle (for those who claim they heard Stewarts engine rev just before the contact).

This incident was the kids fault, period. Not only do I not believe Stewart did this on purpose or tried to "scare" the kid, but the latest reports say the police do not believe Stewart did anything wrong. I wasn't there so I don't know, but in my experience I tend to go along with the police.

Racing is inherently dangerous, both for drivers, crew, and officials. Making it more dangerous than it needs to be often comes back at the person doing it.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Indeed.

I'm the starter for three professional open wheel racing series and have been a starter since 1993...a professional starter since 1996. Before that I worked in flagging and communications with SCCA for ten years, and before that I drove in both road racing and dirt tracks (though not particularly well...).

Drivers are ALWAYS told to stay in the car after an accident when they are on a hot track or until someone can get to them, barring fire. In the car they are still belted in and have the cars roll cage around them. The driver who was killed broke a cardinal rule of safety by getting out on a hot track...a dirt track, no less, where cars are steered mostly by throttle (for those who claim they heard Stewarts engine rev just before the contact).

This incident was the kids fault, period. Not only do I not believe Stewart did this on purpose or tried to "scare" the kid, but the latest reports say the police do not believe Stewart did anything wrong. I wasn't there so I don't know, but in my experience I tend to go along with the police.

Racing is inherently dangerous, both for drivers, crew, and officials. Making it more dangerous than it needs to be often comes back at the person doing it.
I'm a racing fan, but I don't know squat about the type of racing where this unfortunate tragedy occurred, but flaggerphil's explanation makes perfect sense and is how I view the incident.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:31 AM

Sprints are a whole different beast. Visibility also sucks because of the wing hanging over the right side, and the mud and dirt. The drivers have tear-offs over their visors so they can clear the mud off, but I don't know how good the visibility is through them even when clean. I think anyone that's watched sprint cars for any length of time is fairly certain that this was a tragic accident. I watched the video.....the spinout looked like racing. Happens all the time. Kid let his anger get control, and paid an unfortunate price.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
... the latest reports say the police do not believe Stewart did anything wrong.
The latest reports I've read show the sheriff being very noncommittal: not saying he did anything wrong, but not giving him a pass, either. They are not pursuing any criminal charges at this time, but they are investigating. On completion of their investigation, they will confer with the District Attorney and decide what, if any, action to take.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, 1966

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic