The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-02-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
Is anyone else questioning the bringing of two infected people into a country that has never had a case before? I do understand the humanitarian aspects of wanting to help them. But remember, these people knew and we assume thought they were prepared for the risks of treating Ebola victims. And STILL CAUGHT IT. How can we be sure it won't happen here?
And if they can outfit an airplane to contain it, surely they can build a place OVER THERE that would do the same. And treat them there. I would be in much more favor of SENDING whatever they need.
Short answer is that there are risks. I think it's reasonable to assume that the medical resources on the ground in the affected West African countries are not comparable to what is available in one of the top medical facilities in the U.S. Obviously we're placing a lot of confidence in our medical technology and expertise to take on this medical emergency. Given the danger and the necessary zero tolerance for error in containing the disease I think any rational person should have concerns about bringing Ebola virus here. However, I personally believe we are doing the right thing and that the risks are worth taking.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 08-02-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Short answer is that there are risks. Given the danger and the necessary zero tolerance for error in containing the disease I think any rational person should have concerns about bringing Ebola virus here. However, I personally believe we are doing the right thing and that the risks are worth taking.

I've got to agree. The vast wealth of scientific technology afforded in this Country will be put at the "def-com 4" alert. Let's all put forth are best thoughts for a successful stop to this hideous contagion.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:53 AM

Problem is, whether it is the best facility in the US or a makeshift clinic in Africa, there is no cure. The factors that have kept Ebola in check in the past is that it occurs in fairly remote regions, it has a very high fatality rate usually killing the patient before they can spread it very far. Sans a cure, it doesn't seem worth the risk to bring infected patients into highly mobile, populated countries. I appreciate the humanitarian motives, but one small mistake could potentially kill a lot more people.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:58 AM

Is Ebola covered by Obamacare?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

As far as bringing patients here with Ebola virus, not to rain on anybodies parade but what would lead you believe that Ebola virus is not already here in the US at bio-level 4 labs ? Along with a host of other nasty bugs.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-02-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
As far as bringing patients here with Ebola virus, not to rain on anybodies parade but what would lead you believe that Ebola virus is not already here in the US at bio-level 4 labs ? Along with a host of other nasty bugs.
Oh don't worry Kev, we would NEVER allow that to cross our border, we keep a close watch on that border doncha know.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Oh don't worry Kev, we would NEVER allow that to cross our border, we keep a close watch on that border doncha know.
I'm not worried because it's already here, it's a matter of containment and rather than get pulled into a superfluous unrelated area. Perhaps we can agree that we are actually pretty good at containment of pathogens.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 08-02-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I think a sample virus in a bio-containment lab is a whole nother thing to infected and hemorrhaging patients in a university hospital.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
We could build a 1000 or 2000 mile wall to keep it out

(As if that would work for keeping out people or anything else)
Old 08-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I think a sample virus in a bio-containment lab is a whole nother thing to infected and hemorrhaging patients in a university hospital.
If we were talking hundreds perhaps, but one or two patients to specific Hospitals that have experience in extreme contagions is probably little actual risk.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 08-02-2014, 12:16 PM

Talking

Quote:
Is Ebola covered by Obamacare?

Obama's not even covered.........
Old 08-02-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
If we were talking hundreds perhaps, but one or two patients to specific Hospitals that have experience in extreme contagions is probably little actual risk.
Probably true, but any risk should be measured against reward. The patient's chances of survival are probably not much better here than in Africa, there is no cure and the only real treatment is hydration.

Imagine if...

The plane crashed
the ambulance transport was in an accident
containment suit problem during transfer
some nutty gawker wants his autograph
worst case, he still dies and now you have another group to handle body, everything they touched, etc.

Any one of these could potentially release one of the deadliest diseases on Earth into a highly mobile population.

Had any of those happened in Africa, no additional harm as the virus is already there.

The patient is a doctor, who presumably knew better than anyone what precautions to take yet still became exposed.

It's a harsh call, but even a small risk of releasing that and putting millions at risk is too much of a risk.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Probably true, but any risk should be measured against reward. The patient's chances of survival are probably not much better here than in Africa, there is no cure and the only real treatment is hydration.

Imagine if...

The plane crashed
worst case, he still dies and now you have another group to handle body, everything they touched, etc.

Any one of these could potentially release one of the deadliest diseases on Earth into a highly mobile population.

Had any of those happened in Africa, no additional harm as the virus is already there.

The patient is a doctor, who presumably knew better than anyone what precautions to take yet still became exposed.

It's a harsh call, but even a small risk of releasing that and putting millions at risk is too much of a risk.
Have to agree that the risk/reward equation is bad on this one.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Problem is, whether it is the best facility in the US or a makeshift clinic in Africa, there is no cure. The factors that have kept Ebola in check in the past is that it occurs in fairly remote regions, it has a very high fatality rate usually killing the patient before they can spread it very far. Sans a cure, it doesn't seem worth the risk to bring infected patients into highly mobile, populated countries. I appreciate the humanitarian motives, but one small mistake could potentially kill a lot more people.
Roger that HHP
Old 08-02-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Imagine if...

The plane crashed

HHP seems to understand the risk vs reward here.

Bringing two patients with this incurable, deadly and highly infectious disease to the US is negating the single biggest protective factor we have ever had against Ebola - the Atlantic Ocean.

A single breach in isolation protocol at any level - the plane, the transfer from the plane to the hospital, the disposal of garbage at the hospital, disposal of the bodies when the patients die (and we know they will) - literally any error at any level - could have catastrophic results.

The decision was made and I cannot alter that - but it is one of the most incomprehensibly foolish decisions I have ever heard of.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic