The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-21-2014, 09:17 AM

Default WARNING! Boogie Woogie Content

There is no other style of piano playing I love more than some good boogie woogie and this guy has got it in spades. I am floored that so many of the listeners seem oblivious to his playing. If he did that around here, the whole room would be dancing!

I hope you enjoy his performance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0nD...0nDhQEIdSQ#t=0

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 08-21-2014, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

That's awesome. Can't help but smile as I listen. Thanks!

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 08-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Holy Cow! That was AMAZING! Thanks for that, Willie!

At least he did get some applause at the end of the video. Some people were obviously listening and appreciating what he was doing.

That kind of skill on the piano for that kind of music seems rare to me, today. When I was a kid, I knew quite a few good piano players -- maybe not THAT good -- but good, who could play some passable boogie woogie stuff. I wonder if the proliferation of so much free music today for listening makes people less hungry to make music themselves?

I know some young people taking classical piano lessons who are quite good, but they don't play music like that, stuff you usually learn by ear.

Who knows... That was GREAT!

- Glenn
Old 08-21-2014, 03:03 PM

Yowzah!!!! It don't get no better'n that!

I was amazed at the apparent indifference that the majority of people showed to his playing. At least a few less self-absorbed folks were there to give that man a well deserved round of applause!!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 08-21-2014, 03:15 PM

Oh yeah! His right hand knows what his left is doing.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 08-22-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
When I was a kid, I knew quite a few good piano players -- maybe not THAT good -- but good, who could play some passable boogie woogie stuff.
- Glenn
Glenn, I'm glad you enjoyed this! I also grew up listening to some great boogie woogie piano players who were in my family. I just love this stuff and I wish there were a way to actually play this style on the guitar but, I've tried and it can't be done. I have often wondered if two guitar players could create the same sound (one playing the bass part of the left hand and the other playing the right hand riffs?

Willie

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 08-22-2014, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williejohnson View Post
Glenn, I'm glad you enjoyed this! I also grew up listening to some great boogie woogie piano players who were in my family. I just love this stuff and I wish there were a way to actually play this style on the guitar but, I've tried and it can't be done. I have often wondered if two guitar players could create the same sound (one playing the bass part of the left hand and the other playing the right hand riffs?

Willie
Hi Willie,

Yes, I was thinking later after I posted on this thread that my mother-in-law was quite a good piano player and she was very good at being able to play boogie woogie piano style. She was born in 1911 and after high school she was a governess during the early years of the Great Depression. She had an upstairs apartment in the family home with an upright piano so that in the evenings she could spend time playing and learning stuff. When I knew her, obviously much later in life, I remember one minute she could play the most touching rendition of "Clair de lune" from Debussy and the next minute she could be playing this Jerry Lee Lewis kind of stuff, even though I'm not sure she ever even heard of him.

She taught me how to play St. Louis Blues, which she knew well on the piano, and I approximated on guitar. That's hardly boogie woogie stuff, but it does show that she had a grasp of a wide range of playing styles.

I bet you could approximate that boogie woogie style of piano playing with two guitars, one player doing the left hand, one doing the right. It would take a couple of good players to keep that syncopation going right. Too bad we live so far apart, Willie!

- Glenn
Old 08-22-2014, 08:55 AM

I loved it. I too wonder at the yahoos who didn't seem to hear the music.

Hey, at least it wasn't another flash mod thing.

2010 Martin HD-28, 82 Martin D-35, 05 Huss & Dalton TDM Custom, 06 Garrison GD-30, and Yamaha FG-180 Red Label "The Pig".
Old 08-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Wow! That's fantastic, Willie! Nothing more fun than a good boogie. Lots of fun. That would have caused me to miss my train!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic