The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-14-2014, 07:03 AM

Default Suggestion For The Forum

Lots of suggestions about sub-forums in the past. I would suggest adding a section for builders, dealers, etc involved in the acoustic guitar business itself. It might be limited to industry members only and provide them with a platform to discuss "insider" issues out of the view of the public at large.

Somewhat like the old "Loading Dock", access might require active sponsorship. Provide sponsors with and additional perk for their support.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:21 AM

I think the dealers themselves might be against such a move because it removes them from the mainstream discussion and hence out of the public eye. I seem to remember there being some initial opposition to the custom build section for that very reason.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:17 PM

Default No Rules Bunkhouse

I was just thinking about a new forum idea today. We should have one section where people can go to post with NO RULES. I would call it the Mad Max Cafe, or Anarchy Salon, or some other nonsense name.

Don't get me wrong, I like the rules and civility of AGF very much. Sometimes though, it is fun to say what you REALLY think... it is fun to talk about politics, and religion, and say what is on your mind without fear of Mod Repercussion (not criticizing, Mods).

There are lot's of good and smart people here on AGF, mostly guys older than 40... I suspect we can all handle a little more rough and tumble, and even then the vast majority of us would remain polite.

Sure, we'd have some good rows... a few guys would end up hating each other... just like in real life, eh?

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

Last edited by M19; 08-23-2014 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Moderation comments
Old 08-20-2014, 09:22 PM
Humanist

There already is a sponsor-level sub-forum titled AGF Sponsors that serves the suggested purpose...but most members obviously can't see it.

You have to be at the $99 (or is it $100) level to see and participate.

Not much happens there, quite frankly.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-22-2014, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
I was just thinking about a new forum idea today. We should have one section where people can go to post with NO RULES. I would call it the Mad Max Cafe, or Anarchy Salon, or some other nonsense name.

Don't get me wrong, I like the rules and civility of AGF very much. Sometimes though, it is fun to say what you REALLY think... it is fun to talk about politics, and religion, and say what is on your mind without fear of Mod Repercussion (not criticizing, Mods).

There are lot's of good and smart people here on AGF, mostly guys older than 40... I suspect we can all handle a little more rough and tumble, and even then the vast majority of us would remain polite.

Sure, we'd have some good rows... a few guys would end up hating each other... just like in real life, eh?
I'd like to see a no holds barred area also, but I don't forsee it ever becoming a reality. Way too much thin skin here.

Last edited by M19; 08-23-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Moderation comments in quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:

While I certainly don't expect it, it would be great. I participated for a long time in a similar forum that was an offshoot from another popular music related forum. I learned more there then then all the other forums (many), where I participate put together. So I heard some curse words. And some people disagreed with me. I'll get over it.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A

Last edited by M19; 08-23-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Moderation comment in quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiss View Post
I'd like to see a no holds barred area also, but I don't forsee it ever becoming a reality. Way too much thin skin here.
That is the advantage of a NO RULES section... if you have thin skin, don't come inside... but still allows those with a tougher veneer to speak plainly... I love BRUTAL HONESTY, and currently that does not exist on AGF.

What would it hurt to try this out for a few months?

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 08-22-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
That is the advantage of a NO RULES section... if you have thin skin, don't come inside... but still allows those with a tougher veneer to speak plainly... I love BRUTAL HONESTY, and currently that does not exist on AGF.

What would it hurt to try this out for a few months?

No rules=main street fighting............
Old 08-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiss View Post
And if we are to be balanced, we need to also acknowledge that there lots of people here who don't know how to control their tongues. Of course, we all are guilty of that from time to time and different degrees. However, I find all too often the worse offenders usually fall back on the "thin skin" blame/catch-all when it's not really the case.

I for one am glad such a section no longer exists. Human nature has not changed, so I see no reason why JR would reinstate something they already determined did not work.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
And if we are to be balanced, we need to also acknowledge that there lots of people here who don't know how to control their tongues. Of course, we all are guilty of that from time to time and different degrees. However, I find all too often the worse offenders usually fall back on the "thin skin" blame/catch-all when it's not really the case.

I for one am glad such a section no longer exists. Human nature has not changed, so I see no reason why JR would reinstate something they already determined did not work.
I seem to remember Cotten saying it didn't work because too many people were complaining to the Mods about other posts, thereby giving them too much work. I was around when it was closed down, and it certainly didn't seem abusive to me. The only real negative, as far as I could see was that it felt a bit pointless. The god 'n guns brigade would hurl missiles at the tree-hugging naval-gazers, and then the tree-hugging naval-gazers would hurl a few missiles back, all in the hope of creating a dent, no matter how small, in the impenetrable arrogance of each position. It was an endless war of attrition in which ground was hardly ever "won" from the other side.

Having said that, I liked being able to have an opportunity to talk about the things that matter in our lives without someone sending a report about me and my carefully crafted post (ahem!) disappearing in the middle of the night! And sometimes people did listen to each other.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:41 AM

I don't care either way. I've had some posts edited. No big deal. If you wanted a free speech type forum you could always start one. I'd join. So maybe it is better that AGF has rules strictly enforced by the modulators.

Last edited by M19; 08-23-2014 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Moderation and political comments...and yes it is.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I seem to remember Cotten saying it didn't work because too many people were complaining to the Mods about other posts, thereby giving them too much work. I was around when it was closed down, and it certainly didn't seem abusive to me. The only real negative, as far as I could see was that it felt a bit pointless. The god 'n guns brigade would hurl missiles at the tree-hugging naval-gazers, and then the tree-hugging naval-gazers would hurl a few missiles back, all in the hope of creating a dent, no matter how small, in the impenetrable arrogance of each position. It was an endless war of attrition in which ground was hardly ever "won" from the other side.

Having said that, I liked being able to have an opportunity to talk about the things that matter in our lives without someone sending a report about me and my carefully crafted post (ahem!) disappearing in the middle of the night! And sometimes people did listen to each other.
It's going to take the rest of the weekend for me to figure out what a "naval-gazer" exactly is,

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Musical minimalist

Plenty of places on the internet for "no rules" sections.....

I might add, regarding the Loading Dock - for those of you who didn't see that it was that bad.......what you were seeing most of the time was after it had been heavily moderated.

Most of you had no idea what/is was going on behind the scenes.

Last edited by fitness1; 08-23-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
It's going to take the rest of the weekend for me to figure out what a "naval-gazer" exactly is,
He's British. They use different terms. ie. Take the Dire Straits Money for Nothing. While they have pretty much expunged the verse from the American version, and that's a different subject, over there it was " see that queenie with the earring and the makeup...........................
Get it?
IMO his term is more offensive than the word that is deemed offensive here, that they use for cigarette. But those who have served in the Navy are not a protected class, so it is an acceptable term apparently.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:07 PM

You have to keep in mind that the forum is supported by members of all ages, genders, and nationalities. What's acceptable for some is not for others. So it's probably better from a membership purpose to offend none than some. We all know that hot topics have the ability to escalate from discussion to attacks and then topics go off thread quite quickly with folks who are offended unwilling to look away from the car wreck. Next thing you know, the place looks like the Youtube comment section of a Justin Beiber video. I'm sure the mods (who volunteer) already stay quite busy in the open mic section, with a bulk of their work stemming from member reporting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic