The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2012, 08:25 AM

Default I Need a Stickie Pick!

Last summer I developed a condition in my right hand called "trigger thumb." it prevents the joint from opening fully - I.e., my thumb no longer can go straight - but of greater account for me as a guitarist my grip is weakened and picks are harder to hold firmly.

I had several types of treatment from PT to cortisone injections but the relief each gave was short lived. That leaves surgery as the only option - one that I am not anxious to pursue. So... Has anyone here dealt with anything like this? So far I've tried Dunlop grip picks and Everly star picks. The dunlops are a definite help but the star cut picks, while pretty 'undropable' tend to rotate.

Years ago I saw something with the adolescent gross name of Gorrila Snot advertised to help keep picks in hand but no longer. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

-don
Old 03-24-2012, 08:30 AM

Have the same condition in my right hand ring finger. Its a problem with the tendon sheath and the injections can't cure it, only provide temporary relief. I'm planning on surgery this summer to correct it, would have done it by now but some work commitments make the recuperation period a problem. My doctor says the surgery isn't as bad as the shots, which I find very easy to believe.

Changing picks is not going to solve the problem. Your ability to grip is only going to degrade until you get it permanently fixed.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceditor View Post
Last summer I developed a condition in my right hand called "trigger thumb." it prevents the joint from opening fully - I.e., my thumb no longer can go straight - but of greater account for me as a guitarist my grip is weakened and picks are harder to hold firmly.

I had several types of treatment from PT to cortisone injections but the relief each gave was short lived. That leaves surgery as the only option - one that I am not anxious to pursue. So... Has anyone here dealt with anything like this? So far I've tried Dunlop grip picks and Everly star picks. The dunlops are a definite help but the star cut picks, while pretty 'undropable' tend to rotate.

Years ago I saw something with the adolescent gross name of Gorrila Snot advertised to help keep picks in hand but no longer. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

-don
The "Blue Chip" picks have a texture that doesn't tend to slide around and are a better solution than double-sided tape. Although they are expensive (~$35) they last forever and give good, natural tone. They come in a variety of thicknesses.

Folks either love 'em or hate 'em!

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Journey travel guitar in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."
Old 03-24-2012, 08:31 AM

I posted this is a recent thread on picks:

Quote:
AGF has a new sponsor (GuitarMoose) that makes foam gripped picks. These are very easy to hold onto.

If you find a pick you like, but it's not "grippy" enough, you might want to give Guitar Pick Grip a shot. It tends to require several pplications, but really does a nice job of turning regular picks in grippy picks.

I've tried just about every (affordable) pick that strives to have some kind of grip surface and these two products are the best I've found.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:32 AM

How 'bout one of these Zero Gravity Orbit picks?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...it-guitar-pick
Old 03-24-2012, 08:35 AM

Default sticky pick

The double sided tape work well ..and cheap... Our guitar player in bluegrass band was always "chasing his pick" Started using the tape and never had that problem again
Old 03-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

I just received samples of the stickygrip and softgrip from GuitarMoose.

Go to the AGF Marketplace section (they are site sponsors) or check them out online

http://www.GuitarMoose.com/

I really like both and will be ordering this weekend.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 03-24-2012, 09:04 AM

i wonder if a thumbpick would work?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:36 AM

a friend of mine uses a spray from the sewing department that is used to spray on material end to keep it from unraveling. it is not sticky just tacky enough to stay in place. hope this helps you.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:44 AM

In the past I've used some of those sticky-back felt dots like you put on the back of kitchen cabinet doors to keep them from slamming shut. Put 'em of both sides of the pick......makes the pick easier to pick up off the floor too if you DO drop one.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Musical minimalist

buy a small piece of pliable, grippy rubber hosing and cut a small section of out if to cover the top half of either side of the pic and super glue it on. I used to do this back in my rock and roll days and it worked great.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:11 AM

I've been gluing rubber grip tape to my picks for years. I find cyanoacrylate (super glue) reacts somehow with the rubber and makes it less grippy. Contact cement works great.

That said, the grippiest pick I've ever found is from GuitarMoose.com. They're amazing, with the added benefit of wonderful customer service. I prefer the stickygrip picks to the foam, but if you're having trouble closing your hand completely, the foam might work well for you. I'd try one of each.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:02 AM

I love my Blue Chips, but I don't experience the fabled grippiness. So I glue small patches of sandpaper to them. You can make the patches yourself, or buy them in almost every guitar shop:

http://www.guitargoods.com/paige-pik-gripz-p/gg2830.htm
Old 03-24-2012, 11:47 AM

i have the guitar moose picks and really like them. sounds like they are just what you need.

the guitar moose people should pick up on this and send you a couple of samples as they will have a customer for life!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-24-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceditor View Post

-don
I think that's for surfers, to help their feet stick to the surf-boards.

http://www.stickyfeet.com.au/

http://www.guitartips.addr.com/tip92.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion