The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2012, 08:53 AM

Talking 9 String Configurations

So - I'm torn. I am getting ready to get a BTO Taylor nine string, the one with the D, G B strings doubled.

Last minute comes up, and I stumbled upon another Taylor 9 String. It's a one of a kind prototype that has the g, b, e strings doubled instead.

Has anyone had experience with either, or both of these configurations? I strung my 12 string to double the d, g, b and loved it. I took off the d octave and LOVED the sound of that too... But I didn't have the high E doubled, so I wasn't sure if that would add too much high end.

Someone please give me clarity ...
Old 04-19-2012, 09:00 AM

I have stuggled with the same decision. I'll be interested in any responces.

The only thing holding me back from ordering would be resale.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Whippersnapper

I'd stick with the one doubling the D, G, and B.

Your latter option, the one doubling the top 3 strings, only one of those strings, the G, is an octave configuration, with the other two strings (B and E) simply tuned exactly together. So you really aren't going to get as full of a sound as you would from the former layout, because the one doubling the D, G, and B, have two strings tuned an octave apart. The jangle of those doubled strings will have a little more meat to them, whereas on the guitar with the G, B, and E strings doubled, it's going to be all in the high end.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 04-19-2012, 11:32 AM

Keep playing around with your 12 until you know which configuration you prefer.

Back when I was messing around with my Seagull 12, I tried it as a 8 string and a 9 string (and as an 10 & 11 string). My favorite non-standard configuration was as an 8 string with the B and the E doubled. I liked that combo a lot.

When I doubled the B and left the E single, the E suffered and I thought the sound was whacky. But having the wound strings single for solid bass and tone support and the two treble strings doubled up for a shimmering top worked real nice.

I left it that way for about a year, then put it back to 12. Then I sprained some fingers, got involved with a bluegrass band, and went back to a six string guitar. But, someday, it wouldn't surprise me if I tried an 8 stringer again, I did like it.

Get to work on your 12 string and try the different configurations.

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiproop View Post
So - I'm torn. I am getting ready to get a BTO Taylor nine string, the one with the D, G B strings doubled.

Last minute comes up, and I stumbled upon another Taylor 9 String. It's a one of a kind prototype that has the g, b, e strings doubled instead.

Has anyone had experience with either, or both of these configurations? I strung my 12 string to double the d, g, b and loved it. I took off the d octave and LOVED the sound of that too... But I didn't have the high E doubled, so I wasn't sure if that would add too much high end.

Someone please give me clarity ...
Alvarez-Yairi used to make and market a 9 string guitar that came stock with the G, B and high E strings doubled. I've played several, but never cared for the resulting sound I got from the instrument. It gives you a pretty shimmery high end, but the octave sound on the G course only.

It isn't until you have an octave course on one but not the other that you realize how closely the D and G strings work together. If you play any sort of runs or melody work on those two strings, you're almost certain to really miss having an octave string on the D if you have one on the G.

The B string is problematic on any guitar, and if you double it you don't just double your problems, but expand them exponentially.

If you really have your heart set on making this a 9 string guitar, go ahead, but you might want to consider having the octave courses on the G and D only. I have a Larrivée guitar I converted to an 8 string, with G and D octave courses, and it gives me most of the cool 12 string jangle anyone could crave, but without the attendant 12 string hassles.

So my recommendation is that you get an 8 string configuration similar to what's on the Taylor 8 string baritone, with the middle two strings (in this case, the D and G) with octave strings.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-19-2012, 08:05 PM

Hey everyone - thanks for the input!

Wade - I have the 8 String Baritone, and I love the sound of it. I definitely see what you mean about doing an 8 string standard guitar - the baritone 8 string may be what's pushing my ears to that sound.

Would you recommend any guitars that I could convert into an 8 string that had a smaller neck like a 6 string. I have my 12 string strung the way I like the sound, but the wider neck kills my smaller hands. I believe the 12 String Taylor nut is 1 7/8" , while a standard 6 string is 1 3/4" (which is the same as the 9 string). I wouldn't mind modifying a lower end guitar for a while to get the sound exactly the way I'm wanting it.

...plus, I'm going to end up having to sell this awesome 8-string baritone to buy the 9-string .
Old 04-19-2012, 08:32 PM

Taylor's setup is a bit odd.

Normal 9-strings have doubled e, b, plus an octave g. (Top half like a 6, bottom half like a 12)

The only real advantage to this setup is you get a 12-string sound while still keeping clarity on the bass notes for bass runs. As Wade notes if you are playing lead across the 3rd and 4th strings it would sound odd.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Alvarez-Yairi used to make and market a 9 string
If you really have your heart set on making this a 9 string guitar, go ahead, but you might want to consider having the octave courses on the G and D only. I have a Larrivée guitar I converted to an 8 string, with G and D octave courses, and it gives me most of the cool 12 string jangle anyone could crave, but without the attendant 12 string hassles.

So my recommendation is that you get an 8 string configuration similar to what's on the Taylor 8 string baritone, with the middle two strings (in this case, the D and G) with octave strings.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thank you Wade Hampton Miller!!! I tried this on my Alv/ k. Yari 12 and it is wonderful. IMHO the best of both the 12 and the 6. It's like discovering a new instrument.

Apologies for jumping the thread.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
9 string, taylor