The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 08:03 PM

Default D'Addario vs. Elixir Coated Strings

I always used Elixir's. For years. Then, because there were no Elixir Lights available when I purchased my S&P (see signature), I was given D'Addario Coated PB Lights. At first, I was unhappy they weren't Elixir's. And they aren't. Nothing at all like Elixirs, to my ear. They gave my little Concert Hall a bright, almost growling sound.

I just re-strung my Seagull Cedar-top w/the same strings. Light gauge/012-.053. They replaced Elixir lights. Totally different sound. Same growl. Same depth. I was thinking of selling the Seagull because I wasn't playing it. Nore more! Not sure I'm making a permanent switch away from Elixirs. And I will say, D'Addario's break - I've never broken and Elixir. But I am very impressed. Anyone else experienced the same?

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 12-12-2017, 08:35 PM

I generally don't like Elixirs because of the way they coat the string, the coating tends to shred and get mangy. D'Adario coats before they wrap the string so they never get mangy.

Sound wise, I find the EXPs generally fuller sounding and somewhat darker. I did switch to Elixir (PB Lights) on my Rainsong because I though the EXPs were too dark on that one guitar.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-12-2017, 09:01 PM

I use exp. Better price. No shredded plastic. I have never broken one that I can recall but strings can break for many reasons.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:09 PM

I dont think my ears could discern between them in a blind test.

Elixirs are fine strings!! But as a player I do prefer the feel of the EXPs, and the EXPs just seem to wear more naturally. Also I've used them long enough now that the colored ball ends (wound in pairs) are a key part of my string change process. Any other brand slows me down a lot.

It's like Elixirs are coated strings and EXPs are strings that are coated, LOL.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semolinapilcher View Post
I dont think my ears could discern between them in a blind test.

Elixirs are fine strings!! But as a player I do prefer the feel of the EXPs, and the EXPs just seem to wear more naturally. Also I've used them long enough now that the colored ball ends (wound in pairs) are a key part of my string change process. Any other brand slows me down a lot.

It's like Elixirs are coated strings and EXPs are strings that are coated, LOL.
I think you are right, in your last sentence!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 12-12-2017, 10:26 PM

Elixirs sound good, but just feel so greasy-plastic to me. I think the EXPs feel a little better. And sound good, as well.

Sound?... all depends on the individual instrument.

Last edited by DHart; 12-13-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:32 PM

Nano-Web and Poly-Web read Greasso-Web and Slippo-Web to me.
Just too slippery.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-13-2017, 12:37 AM

Elixir tone: Good
Tactile Grip: Bad. I do 90% fingerstyle, and my fingers slips like crazy, need to exert more strength to compensate.

D'addario tone: Good
Tactile Grip: Good. The good old uncoated grip feel.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:23 AM
Guest 1511

I think you owe it to yourself to try Martin SP strings if you want treated/coated strings. I'm not sure they work in all cases, but I tried them for the first time yesterday and they sound really good to my ears. I like 'em better than Elixirs. The SPs have more textile grip too.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:45 AM

I wonder if those who feel that Elixirs are too slippery have only played their Polyweb strings, in which case I would agree. To me the Nanowebs feel little different to regular uncoated strings, and are my preferred choice-they are also far less prone to shedding dandruff. The strings on my LJ6 are nearly 6 months old, the guitar is played daily and there is no sign of psoriasis and only a slight loss of tone.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
I think you owe it to yourself to try Martin SP strings if you want treated/coated strings. I'm not sure they work in all cases, but I tried them for the first time yesterday and they sound really good to my ears. I like 'em better than Elixirs. The SPs have more textile grip too.
I agree completely. I have had the same problems as others with the Elixer brand. Salesman got me to try the Martin LifeSpan SP's a couple of years ago and I have never been tempted to try anything else.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjock View Post
I agree completely. I have had the same problems as others with the Elixer brand. Salesman got me to try the Martin LifeSpan SP's a couple of years ago and I have never been tempted to try anything else.
I like the Martin Lifespan too. A bit better than exp but they cost a bit more when both are on sale.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

I've been using Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor bronze for quite a long time and I have been very happy with them. I recently tried a set of D'addarion EJ's (not coated) on the same guitar and they seemed to have a little more organic midrange texture sonically. But for all I know, I was just hearing a 'fresh set' of strings compared to the Elixirs that had been on the guitar a couple months. So hard to say.

I flatpick, strum and cross pick mostly and I've never had issue with the coating on Elixirs. I do think they feel a little more 'slick' to my left hand fingering, but I like that slightly slick feel. After hours of gigging, that helps minimize finger fatique however small it may be IMO.

There are a lot of great strings available now. I put a set of Martin SP Lifespan coated strings on another guitar and I really like them a lot. Great sonic balance and tension. Seem to be lasting a reasonable time without losing their detail too.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-13-2017, 10:58 AM

Count me in as one who welcomes the Elixir nano's feel!
Less string squeak, smoother lead lines, and overall less playing effort, which like GRoberts mentioned, is important after hours of playing.

If you don't like the tone of elixirs, so be it. But anything that allows me to play with less effort and achieve the same results is always a plus, IMHO. That said, I use uncoated D'Addarios on my electrics, but that's simply because of frequency of string changes and cost.

Edward
Old 12-13-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
Count me in as one who welcomes the Elixir nano's feel!
Less string squeak, smoother lead lines, and overall less playing effort, which like GRoberts mentioned, is important after hours of playing.

If you don't like the tone of elixirs, so be it. But anything that allows me to play with less effort and achieve the same results is always a plus, IMHO. That said, I use uncoated D'Addarios on my electrics, but that's simply because of frequency of string changes and cost.

Edward
I agree, I've been using Elixirs Light and Custom Light Nanos on my D-28 and 000-28 respectively. (For me) They are excellent, reliable, sound great and last a really long time.

D'Addario are fine strings, but Elixirs are right for my guitars, my ears, my hands and my budget now. I'll stick with them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d'addario vs. elixir