The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 09:40 AM

I think the OP is correct though his hypothesis was poorly worded. I think the majority of folks hear with a combination of their eyes and ears. It’s always interesting when someone posts a couple of video clips comparing different guitars and the range of responses that people give. Some can readily
identify Adi from Sitka, forward bracing from traditional bracing, plastic pins from bone pins and much more. The same folks seem to become strangely silent when someone post a guitar comparison sound clip without video or pictures that identify the guitars.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
. . . ears and guitarists listen with their eyes. What do you think about this statement?

Perhaps referring to a guitarist’s tendency to want to watch another guitarist’s hands?
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 12-12-2017, 09:45 AM

Silly guitar players....only buying guitars for the flash....

Old 12-12-2017, 09:51 AM

I find it interesting that so many people think the quote is gear related.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-12-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I find it interesting that so many people think the quote is gear related.
What else could it be? Most guitarists I know don't read music, so it's got to be about the guitars themselves. Of course, I've heard this so many times in a negative connotation towards guitarists who snub certain gear due to brand names and whatnot.

So tell us...what else could guitarists be using their eyes for?
Old 12-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

When I read the quote, the first thing that I thought of was how dependent I was on looking at the fingerboard when I was first learning guitar. It really took me a while to break the habit even after I learned the chord positions and had them in my muscle memory. Over time, I stopped relying on my eyes and really began listening to what I was playing. Really asking myself if what I was playing sounded musical. I think that learning to play the guitar and to play music that is pleasing to the ears ultimately takes the eyes and the ears. And the hands, and the heart!

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 12-12-2017 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo
Old 12-12-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
What else could it be? Most guitarists I know don't read music, so it's got to be about the guitars themselves. Of course, I've heard this so many times in a negative connotation towards guitarists who snub certain gear due to brand names and whatnot.

See, I think it's just that-- it's the visual nature of the guitar...so a lot of guitarists learn shapes and patterns but maybe not the essence behind them, and might say they're playing "by ear," but they're actually playing "by eye."

Mind you, the visual nature of the guitar is not a bad thing--but it can become a crutch.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

As a guitar player you pay attention to the guitarist's technique, fingering used, location of chords on the neck, etc. and etc. I'm rarely much interested in the guitar itself.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-12-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
See, I think it's just that-- it's the visual nature of the guitar...so a lot of guitarists learn shapes and patterns but maybe not the essence behind them, and might say they're playing "by ear," but they're actually playing "by eye."

Mind you, the visual nature of the guitar is not a bad thing--but it can become a crutch.
I get your point, but it goes back to generalization. Most players that have been at it long enough can go on ear and feel alone. Piano players, violinists, trombone players all still use their eyes from time to time.

Not even to mention new players of any instrument. Eyes will be a large part of the learning curve.

So in reality what I'm hearing (seeing) is, professionals/masters use their ears and amateurs/newbies use their eyes.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:11 AM

When I went to college I lived close to (but didn't go to) Berklee, which was close to Paul's Mall and The Jazz Workshop. Folks like Mahavishnu and Weather Report and Gary Burton and Chick Corea and Airto played at those places a lot.

That's when I learned that musicians listen with their arms crossed.

Couch Standards
Old 12-12-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
As a guitar player you pay attention to the guitarist's technique, fingering used, location of chords on the neck, etc. and etc. I'm rarely much interested in the guitar itself.
This logic would apply to any stringed instrument. At some point any musician of any instrument would be able to hear notes and chord shapes and know what is being played.

Let's face the original post. Guitarists are being singled out as non-musicians. let's address that for a moment. Are guitarists musicians? Secondly, they play with their eyes....ok, so do many musicians. But wait, guitar players aren't musicians so it doesn't apply.

See my point?
Old 12-12-2017, 10:16 AM

When I was 14 what did I know about tone? Nothing, that's what; if the guitar looked great I wanted it-and the more bling it had, the better it sounded, obviously!
That said the OP had a point, and looks certainly matter to an extent when there are a myriad guitar shapes, sizes and finishes to consider. Grand pianos? Once you've seen one large black thing...
Old 12-12-2017, 10:18 AM

Does this mean that all of those billions of albums, records, CDs sold over the years have been purchased largely by non-musicians because of the pretty sleeve design and never listened to?

If that's the case then guitarists have to be musicians to be able to recreate those songs everyone else doesn't listen to.

YouTube
Old 12-12-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
That's when I learned that musicians listen with their arms crossed.
I love this post. In high school, I was pretty good in visual arts. I won some contests and convinced myself I wanted to be a Graphic Designer. I changed majors after the first year because I realized that artists do not appreciate other artists.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
This logic would apply to any stringed instrument. At some point any musician of any instrument would be able to hear notes and chord shapes and know what is being played.

Let's face the original post. Guitarists are being singled out as non-musicians. let's address that for a moment. Are guitarists musicians? Secondly, they play with their eyes....ok, so do many musicians. But wait, guitar players aren't musicians so it doesn't apply.

See my point?
Well, that's the thing about generalizations...they're generalizations.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion