The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 02:48 PM

Default Misleading product specs?

Maybe I'm just getting old but it seems to me that some guitar companies are getting a little creative with their specs...

I'm referring to product descriptions such as "solid sitka and rosewood back and sides," and "warm, rich overtones created by red cedar and East Indian Rosewood Back and Sides," as a means to sell laminate instruments.

I had a student of mine fall for this recently. He believed he was ordering an all wood instrument, in a price range one would associate with wood, only to find himself with a "boxy sounding" instrument that proved to have laminate back and sides.

An email to the company's product manager resulted in nothing more than a "'solid' means solid wood, anything else is laminate" reply.

Is this a thing now?
Old 12-11-2017, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

That's been going on for years.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-11-2017, 02:56 PM

There are good sounding laminate boxes out there. I don't think it's the laminates fault for being boxy, but rather the guitar itself.

Yep if it doesn’t say solid back and sides then it’s laminated. Another word I see being used is “select”. Like “select spruce top with mahogany back and sides”. To me if it doesn’t say solid then it’s laminated.
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

It definitely seems like you have to read carefully how they describe the woods and the construction. I’ve seen “all solid wood construction” and do notice that many descriptions include solid wood top but do not use the word “solid” when listing back and sides. When in doubt, I guess it is best to call or email for confirmation.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-11-2017, 03:00 PM

Unless it says solid wood, it is laminate. It is misleading, no doubt about it.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
There are good sounding laminate boxes out there. I don't think it's the laminates fault for being boxy, but rather the guitar itself.
I agree. I've consistently preferred the laminated series to the solid ones in new Taylors, for example. - Though they might rank differently as they age. My favourite flattop, an old Maton M300, is all-laminate, and not in the least boxy or dull.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:07 PM

Yep.

They are trying to make things as confusing as possible..

I am surprised that their advertising literature can say "Rosewood" when the wood is not all rosewood... AKA - I suppose it could be a laminate - but all the layers would have to be rosewood... And they currently are not.. That seems like a prima facia FTC violation.

But then again - FTC violations require registering a complaint and then filing a lawsuit over deceptive ads.... Somebody has to do it... And this has been going on for a while.. So it must not be a high priority..
Old 12-11-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
I agree. I've consistently preferred the laminated series to the solid ones in new Taylors, for example. - Though they might rank differently as they age. My favourite flattop, an old Maton M300, is all-laminate, and not in the least boxy or dull.
I agree on the Taylors. I've owned as many 200 series boxes as I have USA Taylors and I think at this point I've enjoyed the laminates much more.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
Yep.

They are trying to make things as confusing as possible..

I am surprised that their advertising literature can say "Rosewood" when the wood is not all rosewood... AKA - I suppose it could be a laminate - but all the layers would have to be rosewood... And they currently are not.. That seems like a prima facia FTC violation.

But then again - FTC violations require registering a complaint and then filing a lawsuit over deceptive ads.... Somebody has to do it... And this has been going on for a while.. So it must not be a high priority..
I think in this context "rosewood" essentially describes its appearance, not its construction. Not saying it should, but I think that's what it boils down to.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

I don't think I ever use the word "solid", and I sure hope no one thinks I am using laminated top, back, or sides. Since solid is ground zero, IMO the word "laminated" should be required if that is the case, and otherwise the assumption should be normal wood. Sadly, this has somehow been turned around.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:25 PM

The practice, decades old, is definitely confusing for the general guitar buyer. That is why it is so important to play a guitar prior to buying it. That way, even if it is laminate, the buyer knows that they like/approve it. Short of that, order from a vendor that has a substantial return/approval period.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post

Yep. Especially if the top is solid, the back and sides don’t contribute much to the overall tone. A fully laminated guitar will simply sound the same as it ages. If it sounds good, it will always sound good, if it doesn’t, it will never “open up”.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:36 PM

Default "Marketing BS"

It's everyone. There was a thread here not long ago about Martin's use of the phrase "True Mahogany" vs "Mahogany" in other descriptions.

Can't trust anyone anymore. It's sad.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 12-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Unless it says solid wood, it is laminate. It is misleading, no doubt about it.
I have the exact same gripe with signs in the Produce Department that declare "Ripe [Fruit]" when the thing I am holding is anything but ripe.

Apples and Guitars are like comparing Oranges and Pallet Jacks, I know, but, both took common words - wood, ripe - that are associated with centuries-old expectations and redefined the use of those words within their industry/markets.

I think this creates consumer confusion and unhappy buyers.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion