The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-26-2017, 11:14 AM

Default Two Fender Princeton amps

I need a new amp. So far, I pretty much have choices narrowed down to the two Princeton amps in the links below. For the most part I really am an acoustic player--guitar, dobro and banjo. I do however have a lap steel (Lap King 6 string) made by luthier Jason Dumont. It has custom wound Lollar pickups. I very much enjoy playing this instrument. I recently had the use of a friend's Princeton Reverb for the last couple years. It was an older one--I think probably from the early 70's, but not sure. My friend just bought an electric guitar, so I've had to give the amp back. It's all good. I was happy that I got to use it. Also played bluesy kind of stuff with another friend and used his Blues Jr. I like both amps, but prefer the Princeton overall. I really do not know much about electric guitars and amps. I have looked at many youtube videos to help me make a decision. Regarding the two Princetons below, can anyone tell me what might be the difference and/or advantage of one over the other. I know that they have a price difference and look different. And 12" speakers: One has a Jensen and one a Cannabis Rex. I realize that its also an subjective issue of personal taste. But I would appreciate any insights regarding these amps. I should add that I live in a rural area and it is hard to try things out live without long travel. Thankful for the internet and any help.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PrinceRev65FSR

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...rdeaux-reserve
Old 10-26-2017, 11:35 AM

May I ask why the Princeton over the deluxe Reverb? It's the king for clean tones and blues IMO. My .02

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-26-2017, 11:47 AM

Outside of the looks, from the specs, the difference is all in the speakers.
I haven't played through the Jensen P12Q but I have through the
Cannabis Rex.

Which you like best depends on what you want to hear, of course.

The Rex is good if you like generally clean tones. It excels at smooth
clean tones and has a strong low end, less about the mid-range. It's not
a speaker that is about bite. I've heard that jazz often players like them.
It has a ceramic magnet, I believe.

The marketing blurb for the P12Q, OTOH, says: "The P12Q has a very warm,
mid-focused bite with clear, bright highs. When presented with overdrive
distortion the P12Q remains well-balanced." It's an AlNiCo magnet speaker.

You could always buy the lower priced unit with the C. Rex and if you don't like it
you can buy a P12Q ($133) and swap it in yourself. You would not be out much,
if any money and have both sounds. Just a thought...

_Roger
Old 10-26-2017, 11:55 AM

You know I did check out the Deluxe Reverb--as best I could on line. It has very good reviews for sure and I'm sure it sounds great. However, it is 22 watts. I am concerned regarding volume. Also the DR is about 10 lbs heavier. The Princeton Reverb I had used was I think a 15 watt and had a 10" speaker. It got plenty loud for home practice I thought. For playing at home and jamming with friends, I figure a 15 watt will be good. I can mic it I guess if I ever use it playing out.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:14 PM

The tweed has a tube rectifier, it appears the other is a solid state rectifier.
et al
Old 10-26-2017, 12:39 PM

This is the Princeton I'd get

http://vintagesoundamps.com/store/vintage-15/
Old 10-26-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
The tweed has a tube rectifier, it appears the other is a solid state rectifier.
which is sort of strange since fender normally uses SS on the larger wattage ones.

for the money you are spending on these new, you may want to check out some used versions as both lean toward the collector. however, both are very good looking. don't trust what you hear on youtube. you have to play the amps to know what you like. that either means buy and ship back if you don't like it or go to a store. amps are thought of to be at least 40% of your sound.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-26-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Nope, they just don't list the rectifier, but it's tube... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbbAN0vdlmk
Old 10-26-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Nope, they just don't list the rectifier, but it's tube... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbbAN0vdlmk
i thought so too, but, maybe i missed it, i didn't hear him say anything about the rectifier.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-26-2017, 04:42 PM

i asked on the tele forum and was told by an owner of the bordeaux that it is a tube rectifier. he said musician's friend and GC had this one while american musical, sweetwater and others had the tweed with the eminence speaker.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-26-2017, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

The Princeton amp was issued without the reverb when it first came out... don't know what year the reverb was added (but I am old enough I should remember!). They also had a 10" speaker, not a 12"... if you wanted a 12" speaker, you got a Deluxe Reverb...

If your friend's amp was an early 70's model, then it had a 10" speaker.

It is entirely possible to find a clean, 70's Princeton without reverb for under a Grand; we had one in our Classifieds for a long time, although it may have been pulled; in any case, it was months ago - but it was a 70's w/o reverb and it was well under $1,000... I think more like $600 or so.

The same "vintage" Princeton w/ reverb goes for nearly double that price, as the Princeton Reverb amps are the ones that are more highly prized... same amplifier, though.

All the 'faux" tweed appointments and fancy colored Tolex (the covering) just adds to the price, if you are concerned with that aspect of the purchase.

My suggestion would be to look for a 70's Princeton w/o reverb but with a 10" speaker instead of a 12", unless you are absolutely sold on the 12" speaker. If you aren't "a slave" to having the Fender reverb in the amp, you will get a great amp for not a lot of dough; decent reverb pedals aren't all that expensive!

(I have to say that the classic Fender spring reverb is one of my favorite electric guitar sounds... I don't mean to downplay how good that reverb is...)

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-26-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
This is the Princeton I'd get

http://vintagesoundamps.com/store/vintage-15/
Agreed. I'd save up an additional $500 for one of those.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:06 PM

Default not much difference

I own and love the Deluxe Reverb Reissue with the same Jensen P12Q alnico speaker. All the reviews I read said it was a little warmer at low volumes and broke up earlier (past 5). Since it sounds like you're after clean tones and not overdriving the amp, this is a moot point. At 22 watts, the DRRI is very loud- mine is usually running at 2 1/2. At 15 watts, the PRRI is perfect for what you want. I also have the cannibis rex speaker which I put in an an old Blues Junior to calm the icy pick spiky highs. It is a smooth sounding speaker that is quite efficient and can put out very powerful sounds from a 15 watt amp, again not really a consideration for you. The alnico has a slightly broader range and will give you a little more sparkle and harmonic content if your looking for a more open spatial sense. The c-rex is a great blues speaker. BTW, as you know, the Princeton Reverb has a fabulous sound and you can't go wrong with either one, just a very slight difference in the taste.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:40 PM

First of all, thanks for all the responses. I think those Vintage sound amps would be great. Though its a bit too expensive for my budget at this time. I probably should have added that I do want and like "break up" or distortion. But I also like the nice clear/clean tones. On the Princeton I was using I also very much enjoyed the reverb and tremolo. I do have a pedal that I use--a Strymon Decco which has a few features, the main one I use is the left side with the "saturation". Of course, It would be best to try things out before purchase. But as is mentioned above I'll likely have to order an amp online and see how they sound.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelakekid2 View Post
First of all, thanks for all the responses. I think those Vintage sound amps would be great. Though its a bit too expensive for my budget at this time. I probably should have added that I do want and like "break up" or distortion. But I also like the nice clear/clean tones. On the Princeton I was using I also very much enjoyed the reverb and tremolo. I do have a pedal that I use--a Strymon Decco which has a few features, the main one I use is the left side with the "saturation". Of course, It would be best to try things out before purchase. But as is mentioned above I'll likely have to order an amp online and see how they sound.
even tho i have a few pedals, the strymon deco is one of my favorites.
you can always order a new amp and send it back if you don't like it.
also, check for used ones in your local area. never know what you'll find.
boutique amps, even tho they can be great, won't bring as much resale as a fender IF that is a concern. and, i'm one of those who has built one-a 58 tweed deluxe clone. fabulous amp but won't bring me any resale, but, i just wanted to build one.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars